Thread: Final Year Ag Management Student requires help please DAIRY Sector

Final Year Ag Management Student requires help please DAIRY Sector

Dear all,

I'm a final year Ag Management student at the Royal Ag University. I am in the process of completing my chosen dissertation topic:

"A critical evaluation of the economic prospects of the dairy industry"

I'm specifically looking for responses from those involved within the DAIRY sector from the following:

Dairy Farmer (Cattle)
    Dairy Farmer (Sheep/Goats)
    Dairy Supplier (i.e. Parlour or Tank Equipment, Relief Milker, Bovine Vets)
    Dairy Processor (i.e. Employee)
    Dairy Buyer (i.e. farm shop, supermarket)
    Dairy Consultant / Government

www.surveymonkey.com/s/JJFJVGV

I would be greatful if you could help me and complete the short 11 question survey.

I've so far had support from;

DairyCo AHDB
    RABDF
    Holstein UK & HYB
    ADF Milking
    The Farming Forum
    Lely
    Farming Futures
    Vortex Holsteins
    #AgriChatUK
    Reading Ag Consultants (Simon Haley)
    New Zealand Farmers Weekly
    Dairy Herd Utah
    Dairy Consultant Services Ltd

However I need a lot more responses please.

(I did a survey last year which was posted on here by a gentleman at NiabTAG which received a fantastic 150+ responses on Direct Drilling).

Regards,

Tom Warren

Re: Final Year Ag Management Student requires help please DAIRY Sector

I have just tried to do your survey, I am sorry but I have been unable to complete it. There are 3 questions where I don't think any of the choices fit my view and have filled in the 'other' box but the survey will not complete unless I still make a choice. I cannot make that choice as I disagree with all the suggested answers. Can you add a tick box for 'other'? I doubt I am the only one who will have this problem.

I doubt you will ever please the dairy sector
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

I have to say given the title of your dissertation I found the tone of your questions quite negative .suggesting you already have your conclusion in mind and are looking for answers to suit it. I don' really recognise the industry outlined In your questions. though my favourite quote "a pessimist see's problems in very situation an optimist see's opportunities." springs to mind. please PM me if you are interested in a different point of view.

lazy

should have gone on the 10 week course HRH is on at Cambridge ?????

Thanks for your feedback, but since I have only provided you with a title and not the research topics, not sure why all choose to be so negative?

It is after all, text on a screen and how you choose to read it individually will depend on whether that individual thinks alone to whether it sounds abrupt, I've had no one else tell me that until now, after all its a personal piece of research that is not getting published per se.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by lazy farmer View Post
    I have to say given the title of your dissertation I found the tone of your questions quite negative .suggesting you already have your conclusion in mind and are looking for answers to suit it. "I don' really recognise the industry outlined In your questions." though my favourite quote "a pessimist see's problems in very situation an optimist see's opportunities." springs to mind. please PM me if you are interested in a different point of view.

lazy
    Of course the industry isn't recognised at present by most of the questions, but its looking at future prospects not current implementation within the industry, therefore EMAS, ISO standards etc do exist globally in other business but mostly not in farming on the ground, in the future though (not present), how can you make the assumption on farm now that you won't be coerced into gaining these international standards like document control and environmental management standards. The latter being a topic of the OFC 2014.

I'm not assuming nor suggesting any bias outcome because I have a blank canvas to work from.

Milk is highly likely to be traded like Oil, Gold, Silver and other global commodities, its already started being traded like that on Futures markets, a small farmer on the ground perhaps doesn't know this yet, how will it affect their business? we don't know yet.. but thats why I'm asking these questions in the format they are in based upon current up to date research.

All - Please feel free to PM me before posting negative feedback

Quote Originally Posted by @TomBrightCrop View Post
    Of course the industry isn't recognised at present by most of the questions, but its looking at future prospects not current implementation within the industry, therefore EMAS, ISO standards etc do exist globally in other business but mostly not in farming on the ground, in the future though (not present), how can you make the assumption on farm now that you won't be coerced into gaining these international standards like document control and environmental management standards. The latter being a topic of the OFC 2014.

I'm not assuming nor suggesting any bias outcome because I have a blank canvas to work from.

Milk is highly likely to be traded like Oil, Gold, Silver and other global commodities, its already started being traded like that on Futures markets, a small farmer on the ground perhaps doesn't know this yet, how will it affect their business? we don't know yet.. but thats why I'm asking these questions in the format they are in based upon current up to date research.

Please don't patronise us. At the end of the day, we are all businessmen just we don a boiler suit rather than a suit suit

Dairy farmers are well aware that milk is a globally traded commodity and that our prices largely reflect what China, NZ & US does (although interestingly India is No 1 milk producer with Pakistan not far behind) and our PPL is largely set by international auctions esp if you are on a commodity contract hence ARLA were able to offer a very attractive looking package recently based on SMP & butter prices for 1st Jan.

As for ISO standards etc, I very much doubt that these will impinge on farming SMEs & would serve no purpose in any case. Buyers have an element of control on us in any case by requiring membership of schemes such as the Red Tractor.
    As for the environment, EU already has us playing ball with the 30% "greening element" of the CAP reform plus we in the UK are legislated to the hilt so we have to kow tow no matter what we think of environmentalism.

you can patronise me all you like, I've had to answer quite a few 'don't know'

It is after all, text on a screen
    Not quite - one of the boxes offers you to answer 'other', but if you do, you can't move on - that needs fixing

But are we allowed to post positive feedback here??

Sorry can't complete as you won't let me tick the other box and move on, rather dictates the responses to fit your criteria in my view.

I think you have taken a very small view on the industry and have neglected to realise some of us actually may know more than you about the subject..... my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

As a 'small farmer' on the ground, (Sorry Tom, only got 60 cows) I'm actually involved with orgs that DEVELOP the ISO process - some of us 'small farmers' are not quite as closeted and naive as you seem to think - and as others have pointed out dairy products have been globally traded for years (although the % international trade is actually very small). And I'm a Bright Crop Ambassador too I just hope you don't alienate a lot of folks on this forum to that!

Given the title of your dissertation I found the questions rather disjointed to say the least. And when does the future start?

Tom has now improved his survey so you don't have to choose a set answer and have plenty of room to comment.

I suggest despite any issues we have with the questions, we should all take the time to help him with his work as best we can. Many of us were students in our dim and distant past and have probably changed our views about many issues, many times over the years, so please try to do his survey, just taking it at face value without assuming any preconceptions.