Thread: Calve dehorning course

Calve dehorning course

Evening all.

I am trying to locate an AG college that can provide a calve dehorning course.

Have spoken to Bicton (no although they where helpful), Kingston Mauerwood (no response) Duchy no response, Cirencester no response.

am starting to think that will struggle to find one, am thinking of providing a service and althoughi can do dehorning and bloodless castration a certificate gives you a bit of "respectability" or should I just crack on and do it . I am still gathering info on if theres a market for this service in the west country, that said do you do your own (with an iron or paste) or get some on in or just not bother, see quiet a lot of stores at market with horns these days..

thanks in advance
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Re: Calve dehoring course

is it necessary to go on a course for disbudding? surely you can learn from an experienced stockman or vet in a couple of hours. i take it you mean disbudding , not dehorning which is an altogether bloody job and you wish you or someone else had disbudded the calves.

If you're good and experienced at it I wouldn't care about paper qualifications. If you're not I wouldn't care what Mickey mouse course you'd been on.
    With less help on farm it would be a useful service for many maybe offering dehorning of larger animals and cutting bulls if it's the kind of thing you're in to!

I am sure Kingston Maurward do do them, did when i was their anyway.
    Sure most would be happy enough with you having experience, bit different but when i relief milked no one was interested in what courses i had done just hands on experience, so sure your end up with the same response? Probably would be a bit of work out their for it.

We do our own with one of thous lighter gas dehorner's, mole valley i think it came from, rather old thing now but still works + quick and easy, had a gas bottle one but never felt it got hot enough. Tried the paste but found they rubbed on the gates and ended up with patches of hair loss. The big pliers type that cuts the horn off maybe called Barnes scoop? never again horrid made a real mess, if we ever end up buying horned cattle again think the wire is a better bet.

Never seen it on an ag college course (other than part of a much bigger one) our vet does that sort of thing as training days.

You still hear of people getting the vet in so I would think there would be demand.

Re: Calve dehorning course

Maybe ask your vet if they know where you can get a competence cert?

If you PM me I can probably arrange a course for you & others at Gelli Aur (Coleg Sir Gar) in South Wales. We don't run it routinely for "external clients" but we would be happy to do so if there is the demand.We could do it at a venue near you if you can recruit enough people. I'm afraid there will be a charge!

thank you for all your helpful posts.
    wilf-yes I did mean disbudding calves as opposed to trying to get the horns of some demented limy//// with a "cheesewire"

I hadn't thought of asking the vets, as stated I am "confident enough doing it- I spent 6 years on a dairy farm before I joined up and was routinely doing the job after the boss had shown me the way. I think speaking to vets ref use of sharps and maybe assisting him/her on a couple of jobs may pay dividends then.

Grassman- was certainly not thinking of doing cutting on bulls, have seen a vet make a Horlicks of that job and secondary infection can be a problem if the bugs get in. slipping a rubber ring on is an easier option.

many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    wilf-yes I did mean disbudding calves as opposed to trying to get the horns of some demented limy//// with a "cheesewire"

I hadn't thought of asking the vets, as stated I am "confident enough doing it- I spent 6 years on a dairy farm before I joined up and was routinely doing the job after the boss had shown me the way. I think speaking to vets ref use of sharps and maybe assisting him/her on a couple of jobs may pay dividends then.

Grassman- was certainly not thinking of doing cutting on bulls, have seen a vet make a Horlicks of that job and secondary infection can be a problem if the bugs get in. slipping a rubber ring on is an easier option.

many thanks
    Hi Vern

What sort of work are you looking to do? And how far would you travel? I know a few folk who are sometimes looking for good people, certainly some good sound stock or GFW type people, I can ask if you are looking for that sort of thing? Or are you looking to do something off your own bat self employed? Do you want a house type package or not?

Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Hi Vern

What sort of work are you looking to do? And how far would you travel? I know a few folk who are sometimes looking for good people, certainly some good sound stock or GFW type people, I can ask if you are looking for that sort of thing? Or are you looking to do something off your own bat self employed? Do you want a house type package or not?

Best of luck
    Mate.
    you have a PM

many thanks
    Seems to me you need to offer a variety of service's... cutting bulls is fine if you give them some antibiotic when they do the job and they are bedded up well for a week 10 days afterwards..

Dehorning is a good idea, have you done it before??

Another idea is clipping fat cattle, yep you need a decent crush but plenty of demand for it if you do a good job I reckon, I do my own but if someone who was reliable and doesn't cut the cattle ( like the last bloke I used.. ) and done it for a reasonable rate 15/ head say then I would let you do it rather than do it in house..

Quote Originally Posted by gone up the hill View Post
    Seems to me you need to offer a variety of service's... cutting bulls is fine if you give them some antibiotic when they do the job and they are bedded up well for a week 10 days afterwards..

Dehorning is a good idea, have you done it before??

Another idea is clipping fat cattle, yep you need a decent crush but plenty of demand for it if you do a good job I reckon, I do my own but if someone who was reliable and doesn't cut the cattle ( like the last bloke I used.. ) and done it for a reasonable rate 15/ head say then I would let you do it rather than do it in house..
    I have done disbudding as opposed to dehorning ( I onced use a "cheese wire" to take a set of horns of a very quiet dairy cow) hadn't thought about clipping. as you say that would need a very good crush-restraint though,
    my thinking was disbudding-bloodless castration which could be done as and when the stock farmers needed it and would fit in around other self employed work, I don't think the demand would be there as a full time job??

I have done disbudding as opposed to dehorning ( I onced use a "cheese wire" to take a set of horns of a very quiet dairy cow) hadn't thought about clipping. as you say that would need a very good crush-restraint though,
    my thinking was disbudding-bloodless castration which could be done as and when the stock farmers needed it and would fit in around other self employed work, I don't think the demand would be there as a full time job??
    Cattle clipping you could fit in around other work, have you thought about doing feet trimming as well??

A lot of people only offer one service and not them all but if you did then I think you would get a lot of work as what would happen is you would turn up on the farm to clip some cattle, farmer would say Oh my bull needs his feet doing/ got some calves that need dehorning and before you know it you would easily have 1/2 or a day's work at each farm...

Quote Originally Posted by gone up the hill View Post
    Cattle clipping you could fit in around other work, have you thought about doing feet trimming as well??

A lot of people only offer one service and not them all but if you did then I think you would get a lot of work as what would happen is you would turn up on the farm to clip some cattle, farmer would say Oh my bull needs his feet doing/ got some calves that need dehorning and before you know it you would easily have 1/2 or a day's work at each farm...
    There are a few for trimmers in our part of the world, and they do good solid business. Fairly well sewn up here that front.

I lave been offering a calf dis budding service to local farmers in South Wales for the last 5 years I find I have about 2-5 days work a mont that I fit in around my cattle handling service and I also do cattle belly trimming. My local vets knew me so are very supportive and encouraging as I had been doing it for the farm I was working on for 20 years and they know I'm capable. It's probably very worth while talking to your local vets they will also point you in the direction of work if your lucky. Have a good insurance policy and stand by your work to rectify any thing that might go wrong like a missed horn and soon you will build a good reputation and the work will find you. I have most of my customers on a monthly or 6 weekly visit plus a few suckler farmers that I go to just over the calving period. Good luck

Cowman

thank you.