Thread: rent per acre on a grazing licance

rent per acre on a grazing licance

hi all

I have been asked by a local agent if I would like to rent a 12 and 30 acre parcels of ground for cattle grazing ( and I would )
    but as I have never rented what is a fair offer good ground well fenced , as he wishes me to make an offer

thanks in advance

Re: rent per acre on a grazing licance

How long is the licence for? Is it strictly grazing or do you have the option to cut any surplus & take it away? It is sweet pasture or rank? Is it watered? Is the water metered & would you be expected to pay for any water used? Is the land part of an agri-environment scheme with restrictions on it including management by animals? Is there a set stocking rate or is the licence grantee allowing you to use discretion?

Summer licences for cattle here start at 100/ac & go upwards but we have competing interests from potato growers & from the hill boys which you are not likely to face but my questions above are pertinent to the amount you need to tender

its on a seasonal licence, permits 1 cut per year and must top and weed control as required .

it seems pretty standard terms but no reimbursement for any improvement's

Quote Originally Posted by tcf View Post
    its on a seasonal licence, permits 1 cut per year and must top and weed control as required .

it seems pretty standard terms but no reimbursement for any improvement's
    is it on MOD land?? are you gonna get 19 Mech brigade going through your fences at 0300 on a Saturday morning or doing track turns on your 1 cut of decent haylage.. if so price accordingly. and some of the mod grazing has a LARGE weed problem coloured yellow... not sure you wanted to be tasked with controlling that...
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

both parcels are just land adjoining a main house that's not used . looks like the family's are only at home in the shooting season at weekends , and the school holidays

I suspect its more about lawn mowers , fencing and the view than the money . also means there's someone coming and going around the property ! when its not occupied

so my thoughts were 100 an acre but is this to much

If it's through a local agent you can at least ask him what sort of rent he's expecting.....Then you can tut, suck through your teeth and shake your head See the agent face to face, go in low, gauge his reaction and thrash out a deal. You can't do that over the phone or in writing. Obviously you're doing him the favour Remember it's better to "mis out" then it is to pay too much (and farming would huge amount better off if more people remembered that)

We pay less than that for 12 months rent, north yorkshire

Quote Originally Posted by Andy6480 View Post
    We pay less than that for 12 months rent, north yorkshire
    Yea, but the OP is probably using 'London Pounds' - it's a different currency!!

I recon if its just lawn mowers their after doubt the price will be an issue , more how the land is looked after , will it need topping regularly in summer ? , can it be farmed in a traditional way , ie mucked / ploughed ?,is it good grass or old burnt out pasture , can you use it all year , is the agent likely to offer to highest bidder next year (can you invest time / cost in it ) ? WE rent quite a few parcels like this and every one is a different case