Thread: grass harrow recomendations?

grass harrow recomendations?

looking to buy a set of spring tine harrows brfore spring. Will be used on grassland that is mucked during the winter months and also for harrowing and overseeding for the horsey people, which make of harrows are best and what size tines would be best? is it possible to fit a seeder to a 4.5m opico set??

Re: grass harrow recomendations?

We have a 5m Einbock harrow with a fanjet seeder. Works OK. 7mm tines I think.
    Come and stay in the Welsh hills, http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by DBJ View Post
    We have a 5m Einbock harrow with a fanjet seeder. Works OK. 7mm tines I think.
    do you do much overseeding with it??? what sort of results do you get??

You should look at the 4.5 meter CARRE Prairial slits , levels , then tines with seeder ! Its the dogs

We have an opico, very poor

Looked last yr, but didn't bother in the end. Thought Browns about the best.

Joskin EBR4S
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

I've a set of einbock 5m which I've had for a few years,but last year I used my groups Carre Prarial 4.5m.I needs a bit of power to pull it and its a bit on the heavy side,but it gave things a good drag through better than the einbock perhaps because of the extra weight and the few extra gadgets,but it is more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy6480 View Post
    +1 stay away from opico if you can, ours spend more time in shop being welded than working!

Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester View Post
    +1 stay away from opico if you can, ours spend more time in shop being welded than working!
    Einbock pneumaticstar pro here, bought 2nd hand from amenity contractor. Has 10mm tines which do really good job on scarifying out thatch and moss. Think rhe original owner got rid because they were too sore on sportsturf. Twice the metal of Opico, saw a few sets of them im a dealer buckled and welded up at five years old. Kockerling do a good machine as well. Sow about 500 acres a year between grass, rape and some kale. A fanjet will spread 5m with no wind, a pneumatic sower is better but probably 4 times the price. If you are sowing horse paddocks mainly do you need 5m? Might be worth just going for a 3m set and getting a grass box instead, would probably be less than half the money.

+2 had an opico absolute rubbish,couldnt do 10 acres without being welded.got a browns now much stronger!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy6480 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mathew tsa View Post
    +2 had an opico absolute rubbish,couldnt do 10 acres without being welded.got a browns now much stronger!!
    Opico advertise on the forum - there's a grassland banner up top now.

Let's hope they read the feedback

It's the best market research they'll get for free
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

Quote Originally Posted by seedman stains View Post
    I've a set of einbock 5m which I've had for a few years,but last year I used my groups Carre Prarial 4.5m.I needs a bit of power to pull it and its a bit on the heavy side,but it gave things a good drag through better than the einbock perhaps because of the extra weight and the few extra gadgets,but it is more expensive.
    Had a einbock a few years back and after 5-6 years tines seem to give up,Last 10 acres i did i lost 15 tines i dont have it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by markpentre View Post
    looking to buy a set of spring tine harrows brfore spring. Will be used on grassland that is mucked during the winter months and also for harrowing and overseeding for the horsey people, which make of harrows are best and what size tines would be best? is it possible to fit a seeder to a 4.5m opico set??
    Customer has a Kockerling.

Very sturdily built.

I'm looking at building one of my own so would appreciate any recommendations of any good points to incorporate and more importantly the bad points to avoid. Looks like I should look at the Opico and NOT copy it.

after reading this feed back on the opico im wondering if im better off sticking with my Ritchie tri spike drag harrows. they do a good job but always thought tine harrows were the better option?????? advantage of the Ritchie tri spike harrows is plenty of weight in them so they don't just skim over the ground they do dig in,

I have a 6m shelbourne set looked at all the others on the market and decided that these looked the strongest, had them 4 years now not done a vast amount of acres probably 600 ish only lost a hand full if tines

I have read the above comments, and whilst I totally agree the Opico harrows aren't the strongest built, you must be absolute animals if they are falling apart after such a few acres. I wish they were better built but IMHO you would have to be hitting things for them to be falling apart.

Whilst not very sturdy... the Opico harrows are actually very good at harrowing, and will also do a great job at seeding on worked down ground. I reckon I have done over 1000 acres harrowing / seeding per year over the last 2 years, and they do a good job, so for anyone looking to buy, don't be completely put off.

The biggest problem I find with them is bolts falling out of the sections, and then coming apart. Its pretty much like a mecano set..... actually, it REALLY is like a mecano set

Hi,

Have to agree with 'farmboymark' we have a 6m shelbourn set which have covered a lot of challenging ground. They have proved to be very well made.

Regards,

Topdown

Quote Originally Posted by markpentre View Post
    after reading this feed back on the opico im wondering if im better off sticking with my Ritchie tri spike drag harrows. they do a good job but always thought tine harrows were the better option?????? advantage of the Ritchie tri spike harrows is plenty of weight in them so they don't just skim over the ground they do dig in,
    A harrow is good at ripping out dead grass and weeds, not so good at harrowing muck around as the old drag harrows, just rolls over big lumps or scores a line through dried cow pats. Also you get a width advantage with a tined harrow or we did anyway so you can do a field twice over in same time it used to take us to do it once
    Like I said stay away from opico altogether not just for grass harrows, try a browns they look good and get one with a seeder on imo

The kockerling has paddles and tines, it will level out molehills etc in a way a normal harrow alone will not.

Joskins also has paddles and is fully galved I beleive

I've always used beaco products harrows never had a problem ive found them to be one of the best out there made in the uk to

Silly question for you "old heads" but i'm new to being a landowner. When you chain harrow once the harrow is full of dead grass etc what do you do? If I lift the harrow i'm left with a pile of dead stuff that I have to pick up or if i carry on the harrow isn't doing any good.

Was this question too technical?

Every situation is different. Some fields have spots where trash accumulates and others where it gets left behind and spread. If the field is even and you have suitable harrows use the less agressive side. Remember if the stuff you are harrowing is too wet then it also does not break up and shake out.