Thread: Most cringe worthy thing ever done.........

Most cringe worthy thing ever done.........

So my IH 955/1055 thread took me back in time some nearly (but not quite) 34 years to when I was 22 working for a contractor based in Pytchley nr Kettering.

During my time there, I made probably the biggest 'balls up' I ever have whilst tractor driving and funnily enough, I never actually witnessed what happened.......

I had been sent out with practically no previous experience, direct drilling winter wheat with a Bettinson drill behind a Ford 66. I had two days of this - it was late October, a wet, wet autumn and the tractor has little in the way of demisting /air con etc.

In short, I spent two days lost in several 60+ acre fields.

I can only guess what a mess I made - how much I missed and how much I drilled multiple times....

It was not long after this that my time there finished (not because of this - it was just that the summer work was over), as such, I never did get to see the result of my labours - Thank God!!!!!!

I still think about those two days and what the fields must have looked like post germination!!

If you read this, Tony Middleton, it is probably now about time I apologised to you and your big name customer!!!

10 years on, I had a minor episode of similar - first time I used an air-drill. Field on the side of the main arterial route into Cornwall and perfectly angled for all to see . Didn't know about the delay between dropping the drill to the ground and the seed reaching the coulters - left 15 foot gaps at the end of every other row!!!!!!!

Embarrassing or what for 9 months

Go on then - who else has these skeletons in the cupboard????

Cheers

David

Re: Most cringe worthy thing ever done.........

Nobody David, just you mate...

ridged up a rented field for spuds... that wasn't ours,, it was intended for maize,, I had to sort it..
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Quote Originally Posted by Spotty Dog View Post
    I did have another biggie - I had been explaining to the crowd who were watching in amazed wonderment as I replaced a number of blades in our Bedford powered Bamford S4 forager, the importance of being absolutely certain you never ever ever ever left any tool unaccounted for in the field.

I finished setting up the blades and the shear bar, fired up the good old Belarus which hauled it all around, fired up the Bedford on the forager, picked up a trailer, drove 3 feet into the dram and picked up the 3 foot long spanner used to tighten the blades!!!!

Somewhat awkward - happened at 9pm - at least the customer was ready to give up by then anyway - but was a long night rebuilding the rotor!!

Cheers

David

You "$%

Similar to David and the last time I did any serious arable work. (Must be a link there ) 4m accord air seeder on rough nobbly ground in 1985. I could not see the bout markers or where I had been for love nor money.
    Also DD rape with a Bettinson in early 80s behind a poxy trantor (which I would love to have now). OK over well burnt stubble except for the soot in every orifice but on poorly burnt it was hard to see.

First time I ever applied Nitram to some silage grass, I clearly hadn't checked you had two pipes to open the slides to each disc separately, it was nice straight stripes though. One advantage of being organic now, I can't make such an obvious balls up!!!

Spreading grass seed with the Vicon Varispreader. Got the 'golden boy' to set up, and with years of experience of farming I thought great.
    Spread around 50 acres of grass seed on the headlands of one of the three fields. Obviously with not setting it up meant I wasn't to blame.... that's what I claimed anyway!
    The things that come to those who wait, are things left by those who got there first!

Harvest 1985. Weeks of rain then finally it dries up on a Sunday afternoon so I'm starting up the combine from where it was left in the field (auger out ). As weather was catchy told student to keep the grain trailer near the combine. He parked alongside and behind. I started up combine, into reverse to start the first pass, auger smashes into tractor cab and is ripped off. Raining again next day, but I spent it in the dry in the workshop anyway.

I knocked a spout off a Dom 85 going between a pole and a guide wire in Essex as a harvest student. Boss wasn't happy but compared to my brothers at home wasn't bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard_S View Post
    Spreading grass seed with the Vicon Varispreader. Got the 'golden boy' to set up, and with years of experience of farming I thought great.
    Spread around 50 acres of grass seed on the headlands of one of the three fields. Obviously with not setting it up meant I wasn't to blame.... that's what I claimed anyway!

Vicon.. First time ever putting on fert, I the mere boy at the time got let loose, boss had set up, away I go on 565, no told me you shut of with long handle to shut slide.. I thought you just knocked PTO out of gear at headland.. Fortunately the boss realised that summat was up when I went back for the first refill.. Made the grass grow though..
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Back in 1977 working near Cleethorpes/Louth in Lincolnshire on pea vining; very, very wet summer. My FMC trailed viner was in for a breakdown so I was pulling the 4 wheeled mobile canteen/workshop with a little Ford 4000 2wd.
    One dark night got well and truly stuck in a muddy gateway with six viners all waiting behind me. Foreman gets everyone off their tractors and we all start pushing like hell on the back of the trailer. After about five minutes of grunting, groaning, slipping ,sliding and muttering the foreman says. "Its no good lads, go and tell Dave to stop the tractor." One of the other lads takes a Players No6 from his mouth, nods towards me and says "he's been pushing next to yer for five minutes."

Once spent 2 hours repairing header bearing, combine back to field across main road etc, went 20 yards and the sturdy pry bar I had dropped behind the auger went through the chopper taking a dozen blades out. Back to buildings across busy main road, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
    Back in 1977 working near Cleethorpes/Louth in Lincolnshire on pea vining; very, very wet summer. My FMC trailed viner was in for a breakdown so I was pulling the 4 wheeled mobile canteen/workshop with a little Ford 4000 2wd.
    One dark night got well and truly stuck in a muddy gateway with six viners all waiting behind me. Foreman gets everyone off their tractors and we all start pushing like hell on the back of the trailer. After about five minutes of grunting, groaning, slipping ,sliding and muttering the foreman says. "Its no good lads, go and tell Dave to stop the tractor." One of the other lads takes a Players No6 from his mouth, nods towards me and says "he's been pushing next to yer for five minutes."
    That has to be a classic!

Wish I could have read this thread 30 odd years ago, I would not have felt such a twot.

I did a similar thing leaving a field on to a road to village near here with no other access. Single axle lorry conversion with 10t of wheat behind a 590, dropped the trailer wheel in wet hole in the gateway. Tractor spinning on the tarmac. Local small holder passing on his 3000 and offers a tow. No movement, meanwhile I have blocked a bus leaving the village and a host of would be pub customers the other way. The other corn cart on the 595 arrives back to the field turns around and hooks on with the 3000. Rocking the trailer on the single sprung axle has by now buried the trapped side to the axle but more alarming the trailer has gone over on its springs and corn is p!ssing over the side with the wooden dropsides bulging like a perv on a beach. The old Govnor turns up and I am thinking I would like to climb in the hole with the trailer. Gov nips back to the main farm with a driver for the MF 1200. The trailer meanwhile seems to list further settling in the wet spot. Finally with the 1200 hooked on the front and the 595 hooked to the high side of the trailer (we thought it was going right over) we scrap our way out. This was approximately 1.5hrs after blocking the road on a nice summers evening.

Back in the 80's a mate of mine asked if I'd reseed his field by the village, yes the one that faces the main road as you drive towards the village !!! No problem I thought, nice bit of beer money. As it happened it fitted in nicely with doing a similar job at home so I'd put the plough on and plough both etc etc. Then came the day to sow the seeds. I knew our spinner would sow seeds at the correct rate on number xx in gear xx and it worked perfectly at home so went to do my mates straight afterwards. However matey had bought some treated seeds which flowed much faster than normal ones. I managed to sow six acres of seeds on two acres of land. Then had to supply four acres of seeds to finish the field and you could still see the cock up years later. Never again !
    Come and stay in the Welsh hills, http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

We'd just bought a John Deere 8250 corn drill and all had been going well until I had to sow a few fields 9 miles away. I decided to fill the drill at home so I'd be able to start drilling straight when I arrived and my brother was bringing the rest of the seed down a little later. Of course, I didn't bother to lock the dics up and they'd crept down enough to leave the roads covered with wheat through the town and along the dual carriageway east of Brecon. Learned of my kabooly when sparks were flying from the discs close to my destination. 3 cwt of wheat lost and a reminder of my balls up every time I went through town for the next month.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

1) Driving a silage trailer across a nice empty 90 acre grass field as a student. Looked at a trailing hydraulic pipe and put the lot in the ditch.
    2) Having fixed new rad on MF165, drove it away and thought steering a bit stiff. Yanked it and put the hammer I had left in front of the rad, through the new rad with the steering arm

Ahem!
    What about the time you drove my IH 956 into the back of the silage trailer I was pulling?

Just two of my cock-ups.

Had a new building for machinery storage and workshop put up while combining, just the roof and cladding. When all Autumn work was done and combine put away I decided to make a start on the workshop so it's dig footings all round ready for the concrete walls. But the line of the internal wall had been covered from the weather for a couple of months and it was hard clay very hard digging (no mini-digger) so I had a brainwave. I had a bucket for my 3C that I had just put new teeth and sidecutters on so I thought I would at least loosen the clay a bit first and then I would be able to dig it out by hand quite easy. So I had the Saturday lad watching what I was doing while I poked around in between the stanchions. The combine was in the next bay and parked very close to where the eventual dividing wall would be. They were 15ft bays. Suddenly the combine gave a lurch towards me. Yes, the front tyre and sidecutter collided. Perhaps, on reflection, I should not have been so harsh on the lad but I had to vent my frustration on somebody !

I was ditching for a customer. I always leave my diggers with the feet down on the ground taking the weight off the tyres and with the boom out at 90 degrees so that when I pick the boom up the hydra-clamps don't slide about all over the place. It was very frosty but the legs had sunk in the ground a bit as they do. The old girl turned over but didn't want to fire up. I don't like giving things a sniff so I had a brainwave. I got a couple of paper bags and lit them under the digger to warm things up a bit. But this old girl had a sight glass. Eventually that cracked, warm diesel everywhere which of course roared away. I had got a fire on my hands at this stage. So quick as a flash I jumped in and started the digger. Success !! Now all I need to do is get the Hell out of there. Problem. Legs and ditching bucket are frozen to the ground. Can't move. So I gave her a big fistful and worked the dipper and bucket ram, freed the bucket, then pushed the whole thing up out of the ground and away. I sat down and had a cup of tea out of my flask and thanked God.

I was talking to the then farm manager of a very well known college, and I happened to say that I thought the optimum time for sowing oilseed rape was mid August, their crop had obviously been sown much later, yes he said, someone had made a boob and sown fodder rape by mistake.

One of my school holiday jobs was cutting thistles with a little 2wd Fiat and cutterbar mower. One time I hit something and sprung the breakback on the mower. So I stopped, jumped out, grabbed the end of the cutterbar and swung it back with some gusto. Unfortunately the handbrake must've been a couple notches short of where it should have been. The tractor took a lurch forward and started to roll down the (steep) hill with me chasing after it . It ended up down in the neighbours field, on it's side, with a broken front axle. And all this in full view of a busy main road

Worse still, there was no way back up out of the neighbours field. It to be towed back round, through the village, with the front of the tractor carried on the push-off buckrake

My dad had a lunch party a few years ago which ended up in a very competitive (and slightly drunken) game of croquet. It got dark before they had finished, so dad decided to get the tractor to use to floodlight the lawn. He unlocked the shed, jumped in and zoomed out, taking the door clean off...... Still carried on and finished the game. Was a bit sheepish the next morning though....

Quote Originally Posted by Wuffler View Post
    Ahem!
    What about the time you drove my IH 956 into the back of the silage trailer I was pulling?
    You mean the trailer that you reversed into your own 956 ...

once following the wife in another car (both mine) she stopped suddenly but I didnt,

the insurance told me you cannot claim off yourself.................

2 claims one for each car.

I had newly left school in 1960 and was driving a Nuffield across a grass field with a 3 piece cambridge roller in it's transport mode, Nuffield only having a 5 speed box was a bit slow I thought, so I slipped it into top gear, crossed a hollow furrow from last year and the drawbar pin jumped out. The roller drawbar was then vertically buried about 3 foot deep. Dad got a chain and the Nuffield and a Fordson Major together wouldnt pull it out. I think it took me around 3 hours to dig it free.

You mean the trailer that you reversed into your own 956 ...

These make me smile

I have always been proud of my 3 meter Einboch , and my grass sowing skills . Every so often it was time to sow an odd field of stubble turnips , and so one day I prepared to do turnips by changing to the small seed roller ,and checking my previous calibration book.
    Hey , now then I though , I had been sowing the day before grass seed at 13 kgs per acre and I needed to put 1.3 kg of stubble turnip seed .
    So, a decimal place less . 130 grammes to one hundreth of an acre grass , 13 grammes turnip . Easy , despite the fact numbers have never been my strong point
    7 acre field of ours , put all seed in hopper and after I had gone around 3/4 of th first time around , I stopped for a butchers ,and lifted off the lid.

About 2 small bowls full left . I had been on auto pilot and check weighed 130 grammes - duh
    By heck if it didnt come thick around the outside

Not myself but a good friend a few years back first started working for a large estate, come harvest time went to field x had got twice round the headland with the combine when the farm manager rang him, turns out the field didn't even belong to the estate and the manager had got an irate call of a local farmer. To add insult to injury it turns out the dozy sod had been spraying and ferting the field since he had started in February.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester View Post
    Not myself but a good friend a few years back first started working for a large estate, come harvest time went to field x had got twice round the headland with the combine when the farm manager rang him, turns out the field didn't even belong to the estate and the manager had got an irate call of a local farmer. To add insult to injury it turns out the dozy sod had been spraying and ferting the field since he had started in February.

Wow thats a good one

Wow thats a good one
    +1 made me chuckle
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    +1 made me chuckle

But not my self.