Thread: Heifers from holland

Heifers from holland

How are people pleased with heifers they've had from Holland? We are thinking of a load of Holsteins from multidairylivestock and wondered what yields can be expected?

Re: Heifers from holland

Were are you based?

I know farmers who have done so and are very pleased, think he said they done 7000 as heifers not pushed and heading for 9000 litres on their second year.

Not Holland nor Holsteins but we have nothing but praise for our Danish agent & the heifers he sources.

If you are interested, I would find time & go out on a visit for a few days with your agent and go to a few farms. Putting faces to names etc does wonders when you want to buy more. Just be aware that the current fad for A2 milk has pushed the prices up significantly over the passed 12 months or so.

Also, & I may be teaching you to suck eggs, BUT remember to inform your local Animal Health Dept 24 hours before the cattle arrive AND to treat them against warble within 24 hours and submit the relevant form to AH .......... I nearly got into trouble with Trading Standards for not following the rules to the letter
    Oh, & remember the CPP16 form to BCMS too (although you have to order a physical form from them as there is no download off their website)

you will not be disappointed quality wise through the right people but remember that they cannot be farm assured so will be worth less at goodbye time. Personally I don't think they are cheap enough, you might as well buy home stock if you are happy with the source.

We are in Orkney, I would rather buy cattle bred in this country but it seems unless it's a dispersal it's just left overs we are buying. If anyone has for sale feel free to pm, must be of a high health status and with good yields.

Beware about Johnes!
    We bought 50 incalf dutch heifers a couple of years ago, and so far 10 of them have tested either medium or high for johnes. They all came from their
    "A" band farms which are suppose to be Johnes free. Its no wonder they have reduced their incidence of Johne- their exporting it!
    But, i must say that only 1 is consisently testing high, and she will go at the end of her lactation. The Elisa milk test is rather inconsistent, if you test a cow within a few days of calving, she could come back high, but then have 4 lows in a row.
    We already had some johnes in the herd, so not as bad, but its annoying that we have more positives from dutch cows, than our own bred ones.
    (The majority have milked very well, bar the red and white ones.)