Thread: DM story about floods

DM story about floods

What a surprise, it's a load of rubbish based on muddled ideas about EU rules they don't understand, and climate campaigning mantra.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...oak-storm.html

Re: DM story about floods

I see it's a rehash of sheep hating Monbiot in The Guardian
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...policies-homes

A load of rubbish maybe, but where there's smoke there's fire....

I pointed out to DEFRA that the ditch below me needed cleaning in Autumn 2011. They inspected and declared it was "fit for purpose". In January 2012 it rained. Not really surprising in Scotland as we get weather. The landowner gets SFP which so far as I am aware (correct me if I'm wrong) imposes a duty to "maintain functional water courses". He is also party to a "management agreement" by which he gets paid to maintain ditches. Now, my maths isn't all that good but it seems to me he gets paid twice for doing the same job....which (again, it seems to me) he didn't do.

Of course, I have probably got it all wrong and DEFRA are only concerned about soil erosion and, again apparently, there is none. What do you think? Yes, I realise water lapping at my door and within inches of my inside floor and the flooding my fields is a drop in the ocean compared with what others have had to suffer, but if this is the sort of thing the public sees, can we really be surprised at what they write in the Daily Mail? I wonder how many are reading their newspapers and nodding in agreement? It is after all public money that is being spent here.

The first photo was taken AFTER the ditch was cleaned out showing evidence of cattle entering the ditch to scratch on the over hanging tree. Debris was washed down to block the culvert on the left resulting in water backing up and causing the flooding in the second picture (as confirmed by a surveyor's report). Remember, this is after DEFRA had declared everything was fit for purpose. And who pays? YOU DO! Out of 20% VAT and increased insurance premiums.

And there's another theory now too;

A local councillor for the anti-immigration UK Independence Party (UKIP) has blamed recent storms and floods across Britain on the government's decision to legalise gay marriage, it emerged on Saturday.
    David Silvester, who defected from Prime Minister David Cameron's Conservative party in protest at the move to allow same-sex couples to marry, made the claim in a letter to his local newspaper.
    "I wrote to David Cameron in April 2012 to warn him that disasters would accompany the passage of his same-sex marriage bill," wrote Silvester, an elected member of the town council in Henley-on-Thames, west of London.
    He added: "It is his (Cameron's) fault that large swathes of the nation have been afflicted by storms and floods.
    "He has arrogantly acted against the Gospel that once made Britain 'great' and the lesson surely to be learned is that no man or men, however powerful, can mess with Almighty God with impunity and get away with it, for everything a nation does is weighed on the scale of divine approval or disapproval."
    The Conservative member of parliament for Henley, John Howell, said the comments were "not the sort of thing that he should have written in today's age" and said Silvester needed to "consider his position".
    A UKIP spokeswoman said Silvester's views were "not the party's belief" but said he was entitled to state his opinions.
    Cameron pushed through the gay marriage law last year against fierce opposition within his Conservative party, and the first weddings are expected to take place in March.
    In a concession to opposition from the established Churches of England and Wales, however, those institutions are banned from conducting ceremonies.
    UKIP prides itself on not bowing to what it terms "political correctness" on social issues and is steadily building support with its anti-immigration and anti-EU message.
    It has no MPs but is the third largest party in the opinion polls, with about 12 percent of support, and is expected to do well in May's European Parliament elections.

Equally plausible.

The DM and Guardian pieces are based on George Monbiot's book from last year where he proposed getting sheep off the uplands because 'it should be woodland'.
    Uplands in Britain have been largely clear of trees since the bronze age, but it has lately become trendy to blame upland management for lowland flooding.
    I see even Paul Hudson weatherman was promoting this, which is how I came across it.
    They struggle with the idea that land which is deliberately kept waterlogged is not able to continue soaking up water.

I agree gripping moorland has had some bad effects, especially where the channels have eroded but as usual they are pushing an over simplistic greenwashed agenda.
    It is convenient to propose deliberately waterlogging somewhere else because it is cheaper than maintaining and upgrading lowland drainage where new development has sprawled onto historic floodplains.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    I see it's a rehash of sheep hating Monbiot in The Guardian
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...policies-homes
    The man is a menace.

I have no idea what got him on this anti-sheep agenda, but how he can reason that the flooding in the country is somehow due to sheep farming is beyond me. As someone else said, Britain lost its huge swathes of forest eons before the industrial revolution, sheep farming has nothing to do with it.

I believe the reason for the flooding these days is fairly simple. No national drainage or river maintenance for decades, and even larger amounts of concrete and tarmac being built in flood plains. No amount of forestry on hills or upland areas of Britain can ever stop rivers flooding into their natural flood plains, even the Chinese learned this.

Trees only soak up water when they are growing.
    They don't grow in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    Trees only soak up water when they are growing.
    They don't grow in the winter.
    But they flower during the winter (or a few of them do). Just watch out for the monster catkins. It's the years of leafmould, around a tree, that helps the drainage so much ...

That Daily Mail article seems fairly sound. It disregards recent land use changes in the lowlands, which is a significant contributor to urban flash floods, but the hills certainly get loads of rain and turning them back into sponges must be more cost effective than building on stilts, down in the flood plains. I never understand why hill farmers cosy up to the shooters, when their interests are so far apart, and their treatment, by the guns, is often so shabby.