Thread: High Iron & Manganese in bore water

High Iron & Manganese in bore water

Looks like my new borehole is going to be high in both Manganese & Iron i.e. above the recommended "safe" drinking water level.
    Net research suggests that these will have a taste effect on the cows & therefore potentially reduce yield as well as furring up pipework.
    It appears that I can fit a filter to remove both as well as self backflushing to clear once a day & I was wondering if anyone else has this sort of filtration system in place? And, if it works .......

Also, apart from taste, is there any other factor in Iron & Manganese that could affect the cows?

Re: High Iron & Manganese in bore water

We have the same conditions in water from our borehole, as I think does most of Devon. After several attempts at filtering it we discovered a company locally who use American control heads on the filter bottles. The reason being that the British ones do not have ports that are big enough to generate enough backwash to successfully flush out the deposits that the filter medium has removed. Ours has been going for 2 years now with no problems.

Iron I think locks up magnesium in cattle but don't quote me. We also take magnesium tablets ourselves because we were concerned about it. We now only filter the water for the house to lessen the load on the filtration system. It does not seem to have had any adverse affect on our livestock (deer). I think that may be because their water troughs are quite large and perhaps the iron etc has a chance to settle out but that may be wishful thinking.
    Water filtration and treatment is a minefield.

We have high iron and manganese in our bore water, we have a filter from these guys http://www.shakesby.net/ and the water is tip top now. Off hand I think it was about 6k ish for a 25m/cu/day treatment plant. I think high iron levels can cause high bactoscans, manganese will raise the ph in water.

I think high iron blocks the cows liver effecting copper uptake, in turn causing fertility problems etc...

Quote Originally Posted by mqcows View Post
    I think high iron blocks the cows liver effecting copper uptake, in turn causing fertility problems etc...
    Yes high iron definitely linked to fertility issues, http://www.dardni.gov.uk/mineralsandfertility.pdf . I would talk to your vet and/or nutritionist. Well done for thinking to have the water checked - a lot of folks don't bother when it is only going to livestock and end up with problems.

Thanks for all the feedback - all useful stuff.

Getting a professional bore drilling company is a BIG starting point - I got badly stung with the first one we did by a cowboy outfit who were working to a price - as they take care to protect their name & ensure that the customer is satisfied by insisting on testing & re-testing until they are happy that the correct filters etc are in place. Costs more but ultimately it is worth it so I have no hesitation in recommending Wyatt Brothers of Whitchurch, Shropshire.

Interesting that the US documents I have read on the subject don't mention manganese as a issue other than for taste (as per Iron) yet the N Irish do. For the cost of a filter, it has to be worth it in the long term.

We had our treatment plant done professionally and our very pleased with it, certainly pays to do so. There was an article in the dairy farmer or similar a few years ago that gave a complete run down of the minerals in water, their tolerance levels and what problems they can cause. I never kept it and cant seem to find much on the net about it either

For drinking water, I have these limits from the Council: iron 200ug/l, manganese 50ug/l

A good company in N Wales for water treatment etc is Chemsol Cymru, Conwy - easy to deal with. They have quite a few bore hole filter installations.

Who sells the necessary equipment to treat water like this in northern Ireland?

Quote Originally Posted by Tullyvernon View Post
    Who sells the necessary equipment to treat water like this in northern Ireland?
    These guys will, they do all sorts of different water treatments. http://www.shakesby.net/