Thread: VW Touareg MPG

VW Touareg MPG

looking at a 08/09 Touareg with the 3.0 v6 engine. What MPG sould i expect from it. Mixed rural driving, without the trailer ?

Re: VW Touareg MPG

Quote Originally Posted by stevieg View Post
    looking at a 08/09 Touareg with the 3.0 v6 engine. What MPG sould i expect from it. Mixed rural driving, without the trailer ?
    About 28mpg. Up to 32 on longer journeys driven steadily. They get better with higher mileage.
    The Duck 2015

Avoid the ones that have been on long life servicing or choose a youngish car and switch to mileage servicing ; the V6 TDI's especially are very prone to camshaft wear when on the former service schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Avoid the ones that have been on long life servicing or choose a youngish car and switch to mileage servicing ; the V6 TDI's especially are very prone to camshaft wear when on the former service schedule.
    First I've heard of that one. Obviously the long service schedule requires a particular standard of oil to be used and if it isn't there could be trouble.
    Mine had a service every year whether it needed it or not. Usually between 12,000 and 14,000 miles using the long variable service oil.
    The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    About 28mpg. Up to 32 on longer journeys driven steadily. They get better with higher mileage.
    I would second that. We can get up to 40mpg on a run with 115000 on the clock.
    Get it bought, they are a great machine.
    Last edited by Spotty Dog; 27-01-14 at 11:06 PM.

Nearly bought one to replace allroad but believe they were tough on tyres, myth or truth?

Quote Originally Posted by ED.D View Post
    Nearly bought one to replace allroad but believe they were tough on tyres, myth or truth?
    Early ones certainly were but they could have modified the drivetrain from 2009 on. Not sure about that. My Audi Q7, which had exactly the same drivetrain as the Touareg, went through a full set of rather expensive tyres every 10,000 to 12,000 miles. Really cheap Korean tyres lasted better but had harder compound which made the car rather skittish in the wet and were exceptionally noisy as they wore. These lasted about 20,000 miles but for the last 10,000 I wished they didn't.

Later cars had substantially redesigned engines with lower pumping and friction losses, resulting in quite remarkable fuel economy for such a large powerful car. These regularly hit 35mpg on a run. My earlier type [bought in 2006] had a re-mapped engine that improved drivability, performance and, remarkably, its fuel economy. Also quite remarkably, its fuel economy seemed to be still improving up to when it was sold with 65,000 miles on the clock.

As you probably know, the Touareg, Q7 and Cayenne are all the same car under the skin with the major difference being engine options in the Touareg diesel and Cayenne petrol and the option of a two speed transfer box for the Touareg, which is rarely fitted to later models.
    The Duck 2015

A lot of cars are heavy on their front tyres these days, particularly ones with a lot of drive grunt being fed to the fronts. Part of their sporting appeal is their handling and I guess the suspension is setup to lean on tyres that bit more than a more 'regular' car. Couple that with the additional weight, and its no surprise they eat tyres.

I am not sure the Porsche is 100% the same in terms of drive train or suspension setup, I guess the actual chassis could be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    A lot of cars are heavy on their front tyres these days, particularly ones with a lot of drive grunt being fed to the fronts. Part of their sporting appeal is their handling and I guess the suspension is setup to lean on tyres that bit more than a more 'regular' car. Couple that with the additional weight, and its no surprise they eat tyres.

I am not sure the Porsche is 100% the same in terms of drive train or suspension setup, I guess the actual chassis could be the same.
    They are the same, but not all models within each range is the same. For instance, there is a choice of mechanical or air suspension.

For comparison, My previous Range Rover's four tyres lasted 35,000 miles. The Land Cruiser up to 45,000. Mercedes ML 30.000 miles.
    The problem with the VAG triplets was, and possibly still is, that the centre diff is too stiff and that the recommended tyres, even though they are a compulsory High Load sidewall design, have very soft tread compound for high grip.

High Load tyres are absolutely compulsory for all these VAG vehicles, for insurance reasons if nothing else. I think the official designation is 'XL' which stands for Extra Load tyres.
    The Duck 2015