Thread: Extending WiFi coverage

Extending WiFi coverage

Need advice please!

How can I extend/improve WiFi coverage?
    Bro-in-law has bought an iPad & can reasonably browse the internet next door, using my internet connection ... if he doesn't sit too far away from the otherside of the party wall, or beside the chimney breast, etc!

I've just got a Thomson (TG582 plusnet) router [that can't really be moved from the hallway in the middle of my house] & we don't share a electric circuit.
    I don't really want to start trailing wires & drilling through the wall.

What sort of gadget do I need please? Better modem router? WiFi Extender?
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Re: Extending WiFi coverage

A mains circuit extender might still improve things if you plugged it in a socket closer to his side?
    You'd need one with wireless obviously, still under 50.
    The range is similar to the main router as a rule.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-W.../dp/B0067GS29W

Range extender might help as you mentioned.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WN30.../dp/B0055Y6PUA

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    A mains circuit extender might still improve things if you plugged it in a socket closer to his side?
    You'd need one with wireless obviously, still under 50.
    The range is similar to the main router as a rule.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-W.../dp/B0067GS29W
    Would a 'mains circuit extender' work if the two houses were on different circuits/meters though?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_TM View Post
    Would a 'mains circuit extender' work if the two houses were on different circuits/meters though?
    According to the guy who sold me my extender NO. It needs to have a common circuit & not even an adaptor on the electric socket.

But it might work if you extended it in your own house to allow your BIL to borrow signal. Can you borrow off anyone to try?

If they can already get your main wifi with a struggle it would be just the same, but you could optimise the area covered [from you house] in their direction maybe?

Yes, as 4WD said use one with built in wifi. Standard one plugged in by your router (to start the circuit) and the wifi one plugged in near the party wall (in your room).

Need advice please!

How can I extend/improve WiFi coverage?
    Bro-in-law has bought an iPad & can reasonably browse the internet next door, using my internet connection ... if he doesn't sit too far away from the otherside of the party wall, or beside the chimney breast, etc!

I've just got a Thomson (TG582 plusnet) router [that can't really be moved from the hallway in the middle of my house] & we don't share a electric circuit.
    I don't really want to start trailing wires & drilling through the wall.

What sort of gadget do I need please? Better modem router? WiFi Extender?
    You don't make it clear whether you want to encourage or stop this

If it was my BIL nicking my internet I'd be asking how to stop the thieving git.

A powerline adapter (hardwired from router to a powersocket and then wifi from the bit plugged in where you want) won't be any good for next door because it does need a common circuit or meter. BUT they are so much better than using the router for delivering reliable wifi. So a powerline adapter plugged into sockets near the party wall should make a noticable difference. I believe they have different protocols (?) than routers which have to be sensitive to other stuff and so not as robust at delivering decent wifi.
    I use a Devolo dLan 500 AV Wireless (this after "upgrading" the router to no effect). Not cheap but it has made a huge difference in a big old house with big chimneys and thick walls getting in the way. In fact the wifi from a plug upstairs is as good as that delivered by the router when sitting next to the router, if you see what I mean. But the big difference is that it doesn't keep dropping out as the router does.

Daughter2 lives in a 3 storey 'student house'
    Router is in the basement and she's on the top floor

They bought a 'wireless repeater' to amplify the signal to the upper floor - Belkin or Netgear maybe

A powerline adapter (hardwired from router to a powersocket and then wifi from the bit plugged in where you want) won't be any good for next door
    They don't need to be on the same circuit to use the secondary wifi network from the plug, which would be strategically positioned as near the party wall as possible.

We have a large house with the router stuck in one corner, struggled with netgear boxes eventualy purchased a ASUS RT-N66U The dark knight, and it is brilliant much better range reliable and faster 120 seriously well spent!

Yes BMEH
    That's exactly what I did - solved problem in one
    Xlandman

Quote Originally Posted by BMEH View Post
    We have a large house with the router stuck in one corner, struggled with netgear boxes eventualy purchased a ASUS RT-N66U The dark knight, and it is brilliant much better range reliable and faster 120 seriously well spent!
    I've done the same here but the router is now too fast for one aging computer, might have to upgrade from Windows XP.

We upgraded our router and it made one hell of a difference too, your other option is to set up a access point next door to repeat the signal around that property. The trouble with that idea though is that it'll be reliant upon the access point being able to obtain a decent signal in the first place.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by moffett View Post
    I've done the same here but the router is now too fast for one aging computer, might have to upgrade from Windows XP.
    If the PC is of reasonable spec then try this way to upgrade to Win7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Micros...-/141170687713

Had several off of this supplier, all ex Dell machines that look to being recycled, you get the disc, the hologramed certificate and instructions as to how to install the software and validate it with MS. Had one out of 4 that needed a uk call to MS for an automated validation, the other 3 just did it online ok.

ff

Surely the plug in extenders that relay the signal need a common earth.
    As far as I understand the system it uses the Earth cable to route the signal, much the same as Baby Alarms.
    beyond my technical understanding but the common cable is essential.
    gee
    TP 500mb extenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    As far as I understand the system it uses the Earth cable to route the signal, much the same as Baby Alarms.
    gee
    TP 500mb extenders.
    The idea put forward by 4wd is to use "home plug" network extenders to get a signal close to the party wall then wifi to "push" signal through the wall. You can get home plugs with built in wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    If the PC is of reasonable spec then try this way to upgrade to Win7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Micros...-/141170687713

Had several off of this supplier, all ex Dell machines that look to being recycled, you get the disc, the hologramed certificate and instructions as to how to install the software and validate it with MS. Had one out of 4 that needed a uk call to MS for an automated validation, the other 3 just did it online ok.

ff
    With support for XP ending at some point soon that could be very interesting, thank you!
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

gee
    TP 500mb extenders.
    Think you need a bit of technical here.
    There are two sorts of "extender". The wireless type which may or may not directly plug into a mains socket and "pick up" the transmitted signal to and from the router. These clearly need to be in the range of the router's wireless signal and will work best if in a raised location. Be aware that aluminium coated insulation and "low E" windows (that have a tin oxide inner coating) will dramatically drop the signal levels. Most routers have a reasonable power output on the radio but not so most laptops. Also the laptops tend to have a crap little antenna in them so fitting an external usb one with a decent antenna may not look so good but work better.
    Using a wireless extender will add time overheads to the system so the connections that already worked may be a wee bit slower, the better you existing BB the more that will be seen so you may well never notice is you are on the typical rural wet string that BT supply.

the other sort of link is ethernet over power and you plug a cable in from the router to a "mains plug" like object and at the other end the same thing that a cable goes to you PC. This unit sends differential high frequency signals over the live and neutral and should not feed into the earth. The first prerequisite is that the router end and the PC end are on the same mains phase. If not the DNO's transformer will filter out most of the signal. Quite a lot of baby monitor intercoms work like this and in housing estates it can bring up some interesting noises from other houses that happen to be on the same phase!!!

This type of device should not slow the other PC's down and will have better range.
    They can also give give out a lot of radio noise if the wiring is not too good, a pain in the bum for radio hams like me!

I have the older version of this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-W...dp/B002YETVXC/

Can't pick up the wifi from the house on either my phone or laptop, but this picks it up and repeats it around my static caravan. It is itself a powerful router and there is now wifi in most of our sheds, top field, etc etc

A few mates have now bought the same and they work great.

JH that looks good and not expensive. I've got a problem getting thru' 2-3 foot stone walls and the stone has iron in it, I'll get one and give it a go. I was hoping to use a mains link but our buildings are on different phases.
    Did you use the power over ethernet to mount it up high?

Mine's just sat on top of the TV in the caravan plugged into a socket. They give off a stronger signal than BT routers, so if it doesn't work by having one in your place, you can swap your BT router (or whatever your provider is) for one of these too.

Quote Originally Posted by NIAB TAG View Post
    You don't make it clear whether you want to encourage or stop this

If it was my BIL nicking my internet I'd be asking how to stop the thieving git.

Farm is paying for ISP so I can't really stop him!

Thanks everyone for your advice & suggestions. After reading them all he decided on http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/1070754.htm - that just gone down 10 since he bought it! I'll not tell him! - & he seems happy enough!

I'm also trying to remember not to switch the router off at night (old habits die hard ) ... so that the signal strength build up?

Farm is paying for ISP so I can't really stop him!

Thanks everyone for your advice & suggestions. After reading them all he decided on http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/1070754.htm - that just gone down 10 since he bought it! I'll not tell him! - & he seems happy enough!

I'm also trying to remember not to switch the router off at night (old habits die hard ) ... so that the signal strength build up?

IIRC when you set up a modem/router it takes quite some time for the kit at the exchange to monitor the line quality, it will decrease the speed until you get a reliable connection. Switching on & off interrupts the process and may reduce eventual speed

Worth checking with a speed test occasionally, if the speed has gone really slow then power off and reboot the router to make a new connection

ff

Sorry if this question is either stupid or has already been answered elsewhere, but if you use a powerline extender, can you fit 2 'receivers' ?

J

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfarm View Post
    Sorry if this question is either stupid or has already been answered elsewhere, but if you use a powerline extender, can you fit 2 'receivers' ?

J
    Not stupid at all. Yes you can form a network. You start with one unit by the router with it plugged into the mains and the router by an ethernet cable (so it could be physically a distance away); then you need a mains plug in bit for each needed connection or you could use one and link that via an ethernet expander.

The dreaded amazon flog the bits as do Maplin and others.

Yes I got that email, but note it doesn't have wifi just ethernet socket(s)

Thanks for advice.
    Recommend Maplin powerline Devolo kit.
    Simple. It works. Easy set up. Not cheap , but......

J

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfarm View Post
    Thanks for advice.
    Recommend Maplin powerline Devolo kit.
    Simple. It works. Easy set up. Not cheap , but......

J
    I refer the right honourable gentleman to the answer I gave previously.