Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Somerset flooding

Re: Somerset flooding

I posted this on the other side but will post it here as well

Very good quote from Peter Kendall in this mornings Western Morning News where he says people are angry about the decision to treat water courses like wildlife habitats and not drainage channels.
    Thinking about this it is very true, not just here but with other farmland features as well, e.g. hedges. The purpose of a water course is to drain water away, any wildlife that results from this is of a secondary nature, to be welcolmed, but not the main objective. The same with hedges, their main purpose is to mark the boundary of an area for whatever purpose, change of ownership, keeping stock in a certain area or whatever, any wildlife benefit from hedges, again welcomed, is secondary. Both these features need maintaining to serve their original purpose and presumably the wildlife and biodiversity that exists alongside them. Some people/Agencies seem to have lost site of this fact in pursuit of their own goals.

penntor

Somerset Flood Forage-Aid Helpline

Click to view image full size
    Bf3Q5X0IcAEM7hY.jpg

Facing a crowd of reporters, Lord Smith said: "I have no intention of resigning. I'm very proud of the work of the Environment Agency and its staff in the face of the most extreme weather."

They are only going to play the politically correct card - blame climate change and insist they need more money to combat the effects.
    Sorry, it just won't wash.
    The drainage arrangements - if properly managed - should be able to cope with a couple of wet months, 2x normal rain in mid-winter is not especially extreme, and the autumn was benign after a dry-ish summer.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    They are only going to play the politically correct card - blame climate change and insist they need more money to combat the effects.
    Sorry, it just won't wash.

The drainage arrangements - if properly managed - should be able to cope with a couple of wet months, 2x normal rain in mid-winter is not especially extreme, and the autumn was benign after a dry-ish summer.
    Groan !

On a more serious note...you are absolutely spot on.
    People on the Somerset levels, and across the country, have been telling them about the neglect of the rivers & continuing to build on flood plains for well over 20 years...it has now bitten them in the Arse big time !!

Quote Originally Posted by penntor View Post
    I posted this on the other side but will post it here as well

Very good quote from Peter Kendall in this mornings Western Morning News where he says people are angry about the decision to treat water courses like wildlife habitats and not drainage channels.
    Thinking about this it is very true, not just here but with other farmland features as well, e.g. hedges. The purpose of a water course is to drain water away, any wildlife that results from this is of a secondary nature, to be welcolmed, but not the main objective. The same with hedges, their main purpose is to mark the boundary of an area for whatever purpose, change of ownership, keeping stock in a certain area or whatever, any wildlife benefit from hedges, again welcomed, is secondary. Both these features need maintaining to serve their original purpose and presumably the wildlife and biodiversity that exists alongside them. Some people/Agencies seem to have lost site of this fact in pursuit of their own goals.

penntor
    i'm not a nfu or peter kendall fan.....but....give him his due he's absolutely right....i must admit i'd never thought of it like that but it's true

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

One would assume that the EA will be pleased with the efficacy of the badger cull in the somerset levels, or maybe not. Can't be much non swimming / floating wildlife left me thinks, another study and wringing of hands.

we need some people like this poor chap in charge. he's got the right idea.

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-02-07/s...g-a-clay-wall/

Quote Originally Posted by track marshall View Post

Someone in his position is able to take the initiative with presumably plenty of £ and space around the house. He did however choose to build a new house on a flood plane less than 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Someone in his position is able to take the initiative with presumably plenty of £ and space around the house. He did however choose to build a new house on a flood plane less than 5 years ago.
    I was really referring to his comments in the video. Although like you say, does seem a bit of strange place to build.

Poor chap ??? Put him in charge ??? he's got the right idea ??? Do me a favour please !!!

He decides to build his brick palace, quite some way from the village as it happens, directly on a flood plain...then moans that he has to protect it & stop the house from flooding other wise it will drop in value ???
    So what effect does he think it will have on the value of his precious house...when the only way of getting to it is by boat !

The bloke came across as a right knob on the TV interview !

I have a great deal of sympathy for the people that live in houses that where built 40...50...60+ years ago & the farms & other properties that have been their for centuries. But I have no sympathy what so ever for this muppet !

As for Putting him in charge...he obviously has the right credentials (money) & qualifications (brain dead) to be on the District planning committee that keep agreeing to these bloody ridiculous planning applications !

Sorry for speaking Phil

Think I've struck a nerve.

I believe the correct term for that clay wall (above) is a 'bund'. For some reason the establishment feels it owes Chris Smith a living and he was probably put somewhere 'where he can't cause much harm'. (There's another lack of foresight). You can't manufacture gumption - which seems in short supply everywhere ...

When will you 'experts' from up North and elsewhere understand that the Somerset Levels are no more a floodplain than the polders that make up most of Holland. The river banks are raised above the surrounding land and the system relies on dredging to keep maximum flow and pumping to lift water from the agricultural land into the river. Dredging and pumping has been neglected by EA.
    This is not the same as most of the rivers elsewhere in the country apart from where the land has been reclaimed.

Maybe thing's will alter now HRH has been there?

A Levels farmer on Ch4 Farming program put it in a nutshell this morning: "If you take a gallon bucket, then put a shovel full of silt in it -- it isn't going to hold a gallon of water".

But that's all right because they also interviewed a professor of hydrology from one of the universities. I can't recall that she actually said anything of much importance. She's probably gone off to carry out a series of studies to see if the first statement is true….

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Poor chap ??? Put him in charge ??? he's got the right idea ??? Do me a favour please !!!

He decides to build his brick palace, quite some way from the village as it happens, directly on a flood plain...then moans that he has to protect it & stop the house from flooding other wise it will drop in value ???
    So what effect does he think it will have on the value of his precious house...when the only way of getting to it is by boat !

I have a great deal of sympathy for the people that live in houses that where built 40...50...60+ years ago & the farms & other properties that have been their for centuries. But I have no sympathy what so ever for this muppet !

As for Putting him in charge...he obviously has the right credentials (money) & qualifications (brain dead) to be on the District planning committee that keep agreeing to these bloody ridiculous planning applications !
    Looking at it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26083171 his house looks to be only a little below the level of most of the village.

would you just let it flood then?, he may be a "right knob" as you say but at least his house is dry.

Quote Originally Posted by topground View Post
    When will you 'experts' from up North and elsewhere understand that the Somerset Levels are no more a floodplain than the polders that make up most of Holland. The river banks are raised above the surrounding land and the system relies on dredging to keep maximum flow and pumping to lift water from the agricultural land into the river. Dredging and pumping has been neglected by EA.
    This is not the same as most of the rivers elsewhere in the country apart from where the land has been reclaimed.
    The same is true of a lot of the fens in East Anglia. There are concerns there that the same thing is happening. Luckily there is an escape valve for the river Ouse with the washes of the Bedford River, but these are becoming flooded with a greater and greater regularity, which indicate work needs doing. May well also reflect the huge amount of building being done in the flood plains of MK Bedford St Neots and plenty of villages in between.
    I wonder how long it will be before we see the fens flooded again instead of it just being the inconvenience of driving a 50 mile detour to cross the Welney washes
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Phil for someone who became so upset about someone who drove in his Landrover too quickly through some floodwater near your property I'm not sure that you are in any position to suggest this man is "right knob".
    The man in the video is facing significant stress over a prolonged period with potential huge losses. A little compassion in this mans hour of need is what is needed not a character assassination.

Tesco are offering to help with haulage.

https://twitter.com/Tesco/status/432077444154421248

British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Quote Originally Posted by An Gof View Post
    Phil for someone who became so upset about someone who drove in his Landrover too quickly through some floodwater near your property I'm not sure that you are in any position to suggest this man is "right knob".
    The man in the video is facing significant stress over a prolonged period with potential huge losses. A little compassion in this mans hour of need is what is needed not a character assassination.
    Character assassination you say ???

And you seem to missing the point a tad, For years people across the country have been objecting to the fact that houses are being built on or in very close proximity to our Flood plains. And here we have a video of someone who obviously applied for planning consent to build their own house directly on the Flood plain... & the house is now surrounded by water !
    And people feel sorry for him ????

O.K - so if the dredging had been kept up to date & pumps used when they should of been used....then the chances are this particular area may not have flooded !
    But another contributing factor in "the big flooding debate" is the fact that water will run off roofs, tarmac & concrete a damn site faster than it will run off fields & this, along with a complete lack of maintenance on the rivers etc, is making flooding worse !

The Damage to the railway line in Dawlish this week made the national news headlines...& there was soon a lot of talk about how this had never happened before & it must be due to climate change (global worming).
    As a lot of the long term residents of the area know, this was complete cobblers as there had always been problems in the past.
    And a read of this mornings Western Morning News not only confirms the fact that this stretch of line has always had problems...it also highlights the fact that Storms back in the 1800's etc were just as bad as the ones we are getting now.

Looking at it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26083171 his house looks to be only a little below the level of most of the village.

would you just let it flood then?, he may be a "right knob" as you say but at least his house is dry.
    No....I would not have built it there in the first place.

May interest some of you chaps .... quite an eye opener ...
    http://www.insidetheenvironmentagency.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by AGGTECH View Post
    May interest some of you chaps .... quite an eye opener ...
    http://www.insidetheenvironmentagency.co.uk/
    All I can say is "bloody hell". If DC and gormless George want to find some savings they don't have far to look. Quick test, if you can't drive a 360 you don't have a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Muck Spreader View Post
    All I can say is "bloody hell". If DC and gormless George want to find some savings they don't have far to look. Quick test, if you can't drive a 360 you don't have a job.
    I reckon most of that work is a dragline job. Now there is an art if ever there was one. Some of those good old boys could throw a bucket and drop it on a sixpence.

Here Here - I agree, remember this sort of stupid building costs US ALL money, increased insurance premiums, our tax money being spent there, why oh why was this allowed to be built???? Building regs should have been to build it on a floating platform, or on stilts or something OR the owner should have had to sign a disclaimer waving all rights to public help IMO, and the house price effected acordingly!

Quote Originally Posted by penntor View Post
    . Some people/Agencies seem to have lost site of this fact in pursuit of their own goals.
    It comes down to the power of lobbying. Certain pressure groups spend a phenomenal amount of money on lobbying and have specialist fund raisers.

It's easy to convince people that wildlife comes first when they can pop down to shops anytime for pretty much any foodstuff grown globally.

Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post
    Here Here - I agree, remember this sort of stupid building costs US ALL money, increased insurance premiums, our tax money being spent there, why oh why was this allowed to be built???? Building regs should have been to build it on a floating platform, or on stilts or something OR the owner should have had to sign a disclaimer waving all rights to public help IMO, and the house price effected acordingly!
    Building where this local chap built is not like building on a floodplain in the normal sense. This area is like the Dutch Polder, below sea level but managed. No one suggests that the Dutch should not build on the polder. No history of flooding in the area where this house was built. The reason it has flooded is the incompetence and negligence of the Environment Agency. The Dutch would not have mismanaged water in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by topground View Post
    Building where this local chap built is not like building on a floodplain in the normal sense. This area is like the Dutch Polder, below sea level but managed. No one suggests that the Dutch should not build on the polder. No history of flooding in the area where this house was built. The reason it has flooded is the incompetence and negligence of the Environment Agency. The Dutch would not have mismanaged water in this way.
    Interestingly enough, the Dutch have arrived to bail us out.

A heap of rather large pumps are being installed - weigh 17 tonnes each.