Thread: Finance to buy small holding

Finance to buy small holding

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone could put forward Companies whom they could recommend for financing the purchase of a smallholding (20 odd ac)?

We would be moving from a Std domestic mortgage to owning a going concern.

Re: Finance to buy small holding

I thought small holdings could get normal domestic mortgages - but I suppose all the banks have changed their policies recently.

Quote Originally Posted by windylamb View Post
    I thought small holdings could get normal domestic mortgages - but I suppose all the banks have changed their policies recently.
    And I did, maybe Fenland speak to your existing provider first , or a bank if your with a building society , money lending is their game?, but others include AMC (Agricultural Mortgage Company/Corporation?)

Natwest or Lloyd's have agri divisions who would help if your normal lending department don't want to know.

I was told when I spoke to a few banks regarding this that if the land and buildings were not going to be used commercially then a domestic mortgage would be ok, others said straight out no under any circumstances. If you plan to be commercial operation then get your pencil out and get your business plan down.
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    I was told when I spoke to a few banks regarding this that if the land and buildings were not going to be used commercially then a domestic mortgage would be ok, others said straight out no under any circumstances. If you plan to be commercial operation then get your pencil out and get your business plan down.
    Thanks All,

My original post may have been slightly misleading. The property comes with no ag ties etc but does have a farm shop/rental income side to it so I would say is definitely "commercial".

Indeed the only way we could afford to go for it is if the "business" aspect adds up.

Best sharpen my scribe by the sounds of it...

How much acreage can a residential farm be and still be classed under a domestic mortgage. Anyone?

I would go for whoever offered the cheapest long term mortgage. Do not forget to add charges into the equation.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Have you got access to a good Agri Accountant.......they should have good knowledge of current rates being offered and should be coupled with good independent advice.
    Surprising the variation that there can be at one time between different companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Have you got access to a good Agri Accountant.......they should have good knowledge of current rates being offered and should be coupled with good independent advice.
    Surprising the variation that there can be at one time between different companies.
    And be aware that the difference is not necessarily to your advantage.
    There are 'Wonga' type operators in agriculture too. The ruse is to offer cheap money on a short term loan, increase wildly ...
    and then repossess by default. Some well known names are involved with such valuations and cash so be careful.
    Thread running on the other side describing this now on 114 pages..

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    And be aware that the difference is not necessarily to your advantage.
    There are 'Wonga' type operators in agriculture too. The ruse is to offer cheap money on a short term loan, increase wildly ...
    and then repossess by default. Some well known names are involved with such valuations and cash so be careful.
    Thread running on the other side describing this now on 114 pages..
    And the independent advice should sort those ones out. Best to remember that "you get nowt for nowt" in this world.
    Given a healthy record there should be good fixed rate deals available.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    And the independent advice should sort those ones out. Best to remember that "you get nowt for nowt" in this world.
    Given a healthy record there should be good fixed rate deals available.
    Without wishing to sound negative, from reading the thread on 'the other side', some of the people who are feeling 'hard done by' were given what they thought was independent advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    How much acreage can a residential farm be and still be classed under a domestic mortgage. Anyone?
    I was told 10 acres by a vendor recently. That apparently is why so many smaller properties are marketed with a small acreage and "more land available by negotiation" added.

Quote Originally Posted by jade35 View Post
    Without wishing to sound negative, from reading the thread on 'the other side', some of the people who are feeling 'hard done by' were given what they thought was independent advice.
    good Agri Accountant

Quote Originally Posted by collies View Post
    I was told 10 acres by a vendor recently. That apparently is why so many smaller properties are marketed with a small acreage and "more land available by negotiation" added.
    So 100 acres is a no go then commercial mortgage only?

My very recent experience is lenders will loan on the value of the house and garden only.

Quote Originally Posted by ballibeg View Post
    My very recent experience is lenders will loan on the value of the house and garden only.
    We borrowed from Santander (our existing Mortgagor) an additional amount (adding) to mortgage, roughly 5% of house value, to convert a dilapidated adjoining building to 2 bedrooms.

Valuer said in conversation when walking round that it would be 'no problem' but the valuation would be on the residential curtilage of the house only; and the land - circa 12ha of pasture + woodland etc - would be excluded from the calculations. Odd that

ps We've found Lloyds Commercial Banking (Kingston & Guildford SME - they cover a lot of the SE) have been brilliant for commercial loans lately. You need to have your ducks in a row and capable of borrowing, but are extremely helpful even though we don't bank with them. PM if anyone wants contact details

WH
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch