Thread: When Is It Necessary To Use Copper Grease?

When Is It Necessary To Use Copper Grease?

I see it mentioned the odd time when people talk about rebuilding tractors. Is it necessary? Would normal grease do well enough? What exactly is its function?

Re: When Is It Necessary To Use Copper Grease?

Every time you take a nut off! I think the copper works as an almost permanent lubricant because the flecks of it shear so things come off again with that special bit of heavy pipe we all have standing in the corner of the workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by redgiant View Post
    I see it mentioned the odd time when people talk about rebuilding tractors. Is it necessary? Would normal grease do well enough? What exactly is its function?
    If you are talking about using it on bolt threads, what they are talking about is using graphite on the threads. There are two common types (on this side of the big pond), alunimum and copper - the copper is the high-heat version.

Personally, I use the copper graphite on things like header bolts or most bolts that are arround heat (I don't use it on Head bolts). I use the silver graphite on many other bolts that are open to the weather, including the wheel nuts of my truck.

I also use lots of lock-tite on low torque bolts, especially when there is a difference of materials (i.e. Steel bolt into Alunimum)

Hope this helps

The other name for copper grease is anti seize compound probably the better name to use as it's not really a lubricant like normal grease I've heard of someone once packing a wheel bearing with it thinking it was really good grease the bearing didn't last very long! You just use it for bolt and nut threads to stop them seizing also good for fitting brake pads and lots of other use where you don't want parts to get stuck or seized

When you buy a new vehicle with alloy wheels- make sure you put some on the bolts/studs and the boss in the middle that the wheel rim locates on.

ff

NOT suitable for pistons on brake caliper, which rely on the bellows effect of the rubber seals to return the piston after application of the brakes

Have had to dismantle calipers on a van from which had been a main dealer demonstrator / parts van where handbrake was sticking only to find that copper grease had caused the problem

Presumably "serviced" by a well meaning apprentice

Always on plough wearing metal bolts, where often the soil can wear the heads away abit making for a less than ideal spanner fit when you come to remove them.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    When you buy a new vehicle with alloy wheels- make sure you put some on the bolts/studs and the boss in the middle that the wheel rim locates on.

ff
    I was always taught never to use copper grease nr aluminium . So never had

Once bought a wagon with ally wheels and some one had used it . The wheels where almost nr to need cut off .

Quote Originally Posted by old-school View Post

Once bought a wagon with ally wheels and some one had used it . The wheels where almost nr to need cut off .
    yes I have been taught the same never use copper grease where alloy and steel meet it reacts and makes the problem worse I always use normal grease on alloy wheels but copper on steel its best use is on brakes and nuts /bolts that you may need off in the future

Have a look on Loctite UK website for their anti sieze products, they have a good range & info of when/where to use them.

http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-408...%253Dsearch%7c
    Last edited by Gapples; 17-02-14 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Adding link

Some off them are slippery enough as they are
    But i spose it wouldnt hurt to put some on when they start to rust as they do tend to stand around outside somtimes

Quote Originally Posted by Henarar View Post
    Some off them are slippery enough as they are
    But i spose it wouldnt hurt to put some on when they start to rust as they do tend to stand around outside somtimes
    Obviously talking about polititions again H
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    Obviously talking about polititions again H
    No copper's

Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post

NOT suitable for pistons on brake caliper, which rely on the bellows effect of the rubber seals to return the piston after application of the brakes

Have had to dismantle calipers on a van from which had been a main dealer demonstrator / parts van where handbrake was sticking only to find that copper grease had caused the problem

Presumably "serviced" by a well meaning apprentice
    Courier, I was under the impression if you put a smear of copper grease on the back of brake pads it's supposed to stop em squealing under hard use, ie like on your high performance sports bike?? What if any would you recommend for the calliper pistons???
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

What's best to stop wiper blades squeaking on the screen then? I don't suppose copper grease is any good for that.
    Sorry to digress
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ladycrofter View Post
    that special bit of heavy pipe we all have standing in the corner of the workshop.
    Ours never seems to get a chance to stand in the corner

Quote Originally Posted by old-school View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sparks View Post
    yes I have been taught the same never use copper grease where alloy and steel meet it reacts and makes the problem worse I always use normal grease on alloy wheels but copper on steel its best use is on brakes and nuts /bolts that you may need off in the future
    Not had that problem here, but vehicles are serviced at 6000 mile regardless, spigot wiped clean and more paste applied. Wheels may be off at 6000, but defiantly off at least every other service, worst culprits seem to be vehicles serviced where they visually inspect pads and a new vehicle may do 30000miles on a set of pads before the time comes to get the wheels off!

ff

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    What's best to stop wiper blades squeaking on the screen then? I don't suppose copper grease is any good for that.
    Sorry to digress

New set of blades usually but you can try a blob of neat fairy liquid on the screen and rub in with your fingers, it will cut through the grease and help stop squawking for a while, also twisting the wiper arm to alter the blade angle helps a little but usually the blade rubber is aged and only lays one way, failing to fold over or wipe at the correct angle, hence the more common squawking in one directon

ff

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    Courier, I was under the impression if you put a smear of copper grease on the back of brake pads it's supposed to stop em squealing under hard use, ie like on your high performance sports bike?? What if any would you recommend for the calliper pistons???
    My own preference on the pistons is a smear of whatever brake fluid is recommended for the system and then red rubber grease on the sliders, some folk would use the RRG everywhere that calipers move. Copperslip is best saved for the metal contact edges of the pads, but as ff says regular time based servicing is the best way to deal with brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post
    My own preference on the pistons is a smear of whatever brake fluid is recommended for the system and then red rubber grease on the sliders, some folk would use the RRG everywhere that calipers move. Copperslip is best saved for the metal contact edges of the pads, but as ff says regular time based servicing is the best way to deal with brakes.
    TA
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    Back in the days when I was turning wrenches on oval track race cars, we never had a problem with squeeling brakes (squeeling 10" slicks, yes) - our brakes would get so hot the rotors would be glowing red going through the corners. One thing we always did was to make sure the leading edge of the pad was beveled 45 - 60 degrees (not square cut).