Thread: Lime Before Slurry or Lime After Slurry

Lime Before Slurry or Lime After Slurry

Researching (e.g. Googling) lime and slurry application, I came across this advice

" Is there any problem spreading Lime, followed by Urea or slurry?

A. . Lime after slurry is no problem. If lime is applied before slurry, wait three to six months before applying slurry."

on this website:

http://www.tuamherald.ie/2013/04/10/...ime-spreading/

Does anyone endorse this view or know why it is suggested?

Re: Lime Before Slurry or Lime After Slurry

I would want the lime washed in first. I guess slurry with lime on top could just react together and do nothing for the soil.

I can see some logic on grassland situations as soil sampling is carried out at a shallower depth to arable fields, so in effect you could be in theory washing the lime through the profile of soil that you have tested and found to be acidic ? In practical terms, you should have tested for lime well before you apply slurry and got you pH sorted before the crop has had had its first cut. Raising pH is not a quick process so routine soil sampling should be done with regular liming application if needed timed to be away from slurry applications. The downside of liming after slurry has been applied is the bloody awful stuff stinks your machine out !!
    In arable situations its a bit different as slurry can be worked it the topsoil before lime is applied and the timing s can be closer together as usually its post harvest pre drilling time. Sometimes its just not practical to lime after slurry so it goes on before slurry.

What about dung?

I found out that the advice stems from a reaction between some of the Nitrogen compounds in slurry, particularly the Ammonium form which will have a reaction with the lime to produce Ammonia which as a gas is lost to the atmosphere.
    By spreading the slurry first, those Nitrogen compounds are taken up relatively quickly by the plant and so donít react with the lime. The lime will take longer to break down in the soil, so some will be there to react with the slurry when it is spread afterwards.
    The same reaction will also take place with Urea fertiliser.
    The reactions do not affect the P & K content or the organic matter of the slurry.