Thread: Early potato planting

Early potato planting

Just being nosey,,
    was wondering if any of the growers of first earlies had planted in Cornwall etc,
    we have had main crop seed arrive which is now boxed and sitting in the cold store..
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Re: Early potato planting

i reckon they will be sitting there for a minute or two yet!

Quote Originally Posted by vinnie123 View Post
    i reckon they will be sitting there for a minute or two yet!
    Haha I know our seed will be, was wondering how the early grower where fairing ,, was in Falmouth few years back and watched em put acres under plastic first week of feb,,

Yeap,planting has started...3 large growers that grow over 1000 acres each are planting when its not raining, i've heard stories of 2 tractors on destoners and planters and bedformers being towed out of the mud! we've got spuds to put in and normal years would look to start in late jan/early feb. we'll keep them in the shed for now but as we aim to lift mid/late april we need to start soon,but then......can't help the weather! someone did plant and put plastic on in late december but god knows how they've faired...

It has to dry up soon,,,,,, hope it all goes well when it does..

Quote Originally Posted by r7mwc View Post
    Yeap,planting has started...3 large growers that grow over 1000 acres each are planting when its not raining, i've heard stories of 2 tractors on destoners and planters and bedformers being towed out of the mud! we've got spuds to put in and normal years would look to start in late jan/early feb. we'll keep them in the shed for now but as we aim to lift mid/late april we need to start soon,but then......can't help the weather! someone did plant and put plastic on in late december but god knows how they've faired...
    They won't be any good bodged into mud.As for useing plastic,after those storms they should have some early blackberries

What sort of market do your spuds end up going to Vern? Always like to see them when I am driving through your part of the world, very interesting crop to work with!

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    What sort of market do your spuds end up going to Vern? Always like to see them when I am driving through your part of the world, very interesting crop to work with!
    Most go to a supermarket through Branston, some go out the gate in bags, some go in boxes to a local bloke who bags them,, hahah interesting,, now there's an interesting word to use with spuds,,, we use a new spud agronomist now, our man from Branston has up sticks and works for a large Cornish grower now I believe, think he was called Pasquale sound as he where, although we used to try and "hide" his electronic potato in the bottom of the trailers,,,
    not really sure how the proposed banning of certan slug pellets ingredients will affect growers,, as u know in a moist year we use plenty,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by timhaven View Post
    They won't be any good bodged into mud.As for useing plastic,after those storms they should have some early blackberries
    Ah happy days.

Some things should never have been invented.Potato plastic is one of them.The final nail in the coffin was paying 100/ton to dispose of the fecking stuff after use.

Don't they use film like with maize that biodegrades in sunlight?

Vern, are you doing to use PJ or it is someone else?

[QUOTE=Uwork4menow;222773]Don't they use film like with maize that biodegrades in sunlight?

Well we didn't in the past,maybe they do now?.At least back in the day we could burn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Don't they use film like with maize that biodegrades in sunlight?

Vern, are you doing to use PJ or it is someone else?
    AFAIK the spud agronomy is on a different contract (per say ) than the cereals etc, insure the spud agronomy is through Branston but the chems come thru PJ.. As said not sure, not my bag..

Quote Originally Posted by timhaven View Post
    Some things should never have been invented.Potato plastic is one of them.The final nail in the coffin was paying 100/ton to dispose of the fecking stuff after use.
    I totally agree with you, potato plastic should never of been thought of....leave earlies where they should be grown, nowadays if you don't lift early when the prices are high then you have to wonder if theres much point in the blimming stuff..and it's a pain to get rid of it too, we only use it because luckily we're one of the earliest to lift