Thread: Gas suppliers (welding & cutting gasses)

Gas suppliers (welding & cutting gasses)

We are currently with BOC but cylinders are empty, is there anyone else I should be talking to about Mig welding gas (Argoshield heavy at present I think) and oxygen & acetylene in order to compare prices?

I've also read on here about people moving to propane for cutting, anyone care to run through the pro's and con's of doing so?

Many thanks!
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Re: Gas suppliers (welding & cutting gasses)

We have moved from boc to gas direct for agroshield universal and Oxygen for cutting because they are cheaper

AFAIK cutting with propane uses a little more oxygen but propane is a lot cheaper, has no rental cost, cuts at least as cleanly and is HUGELY safer than acetylene.

I personally wouldn't have an acetylene bottle anywhere near my workshop.

For gas welding, the alternatives to acetylene are poor in my limited experience.

We've recently changed from acetylene to propane in our workshop due to costs.
    Actually allowed to cut things now.

Propane cuts well and pretty much all welding is stick or mig these days so no real need for the acetylene.

Can anyone tell me where the best place is to get oxygen cylinders in Lincolnshire. I like most farmers, don't use that much gas so don't want to pay huge monthly rent charges, but at the same time, don't want to get one of these hobbyweld cylinders which is only going to last as long as to cut one bolt off. Energas has been mentioned??

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jambalini View Post
    Can anyone tell me where the best place is to get oxygen cylinders in Lincolnshire. I like most farmers, don't use that much gas so don't want to pay huge monthly rent charges, but at the same time, don't want to get one of these hobbyweld cylinders which is only going to last as long as to cut one bolt off. Energas has been mentioned??

thanks
    Looked last year when we wanted a way to still be able to do alloy mig welding with pure argon, that made sense to go for a hobbyweld cylinder. On the other hand for testing air con systems with OF-Nitrogen the hobbyweld supplier didn't have their system set up for their flammable gases () so hobsons choice had to be BOC the rental will be higher but having a slightly larger bottle at their higher pressure will negate costs for refills and the handling charge for each transaction. Still expensive but its finding other suppliers who cover our area other than BOC & Airproducts (whose distribution depot is next to the farm but the nearest agent is 15 miles away )

Back in the winter we had the ox-actylene bottles rental renewal come in - 2 bottles at approx 90p a day IIRC
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

We currently use airproducts, couple years ago priced out the various options to see if there were a cheaper way to go for us but it turns out we can't get anything else for what we pay airproducts. You need to consider the local distributors and ease of replacement for your empties.
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."