Thread: Reeds in grass land

Reeds in grass land

Hi Chaps,

I have a problem with one of my fields, During the winter it has standing water on 80% of the field for most of the winter. It is in a valley bottom and does have a river running alongside it. I now have reeds covering 60% of the field.

So my question is, Is there anything i can do to allow the field to drain quicker was thinking Subsoiling perhaps?? And what can i do to get rid of the reeds??

I can remember my Grandfather cutting hay off this field around 12yrs ago.

Thanks
    Steve
    (West Cornwall)

Re: Reeds in grass land

Quote Originally Posted by fixersteve View Post
    Hi Chaps,

I have a problem with one of my fields, During the winter it has standing water on 80% of the field for most of the winter. It is in a valley bottom and does have a river running alongside it. I now have reeds covering 60% of the field.

So my question is, Is there anything i can do to allow the field to drain quicker was thinking Subsoiling perhaps?? And what can i do to get rid of the reeds??

I can remember my Grandfather cutting hay off this field around 12yrs ago.

Thanks
    Steve
    (West Cornwall)
    Steve, no good sub soiling until it is properly dry. Might be worth mole ploughing if the soil can hold a mole.

Regarding your reeds, are they round stemmed or do they have a triangular section and sharp edges? Are they rushes, sedges or actual reeds? Can you post a photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Steve, no good sub soiling until it is properly dry. Might be worth mole ploughing if the soil can hold a mole.

Regarding your reeds, are they round stemmed or do they have a triangular section and sharp edges? Are they rushes, sedges or actual reeds? Can you post a photo.

Im not sure about mole ploughing, mainly because i dont understand the theroy behind it?? Was thinking about subsoiling in the summer. The field was ploughed and reseeded about 6yrs ago. I am wondering if a plough pan has formed due to the soil being quite silty/clay.

Will post a picture of the reeds when i can get one. Im pretty sure they are round stemmed.

cheers steve

Top them to encourage the weaker regrowth shoots to come and then spray with round up. That's what I do and it always works but I've never had 60% of a field covered either.

I would need a picture before I can definitively say one way or the other. From what I have seen roundup with a weed wiper works well but needs to be done correctly by a contractor who isn't rushing. It is a steady job.

MCPA 50 @ 3.3 liters ha or MCPA 75 @ 2.2 liters ha early to mid May, depends how the rushes are growing should knock seven bells out of your rushes and clean up a lot of other rubbish also, unfortunatly it'll knock the clover as well.
    To minimise this spray in the evening after the clover leaves have closed up for the night, wont be quite as good on killing your daisy's at this time either.
    So, toss up between more clover and daisy's, or no daisy and probably very little clover.

Ritchie
    Dydd da pawb.Good day everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by fixersteve View Post
    Im not sure about mole ploughing, mainly because i dont understand the theroy behind it?? Was thinking about subsoiling in the summer. The field was ploughed and reseeded about 6yrs ago. I am wondering if a plough pan has formed due to the soil being quite silty/clay.

Will post a picture of the reeds when i can get one. Im pretty sure they are round stemmed.

cheers steve
    Sounds like a classic application for a Weedswiper.

Usual disclosure: I have an interest.

JV

Roundup/Plough/Subsoil/Decent fast growing grass seed

I am watching this thread with interest as I have taken on 7 acres of ridge and furrow land. This has been down to grass for at least the last 60 years. As the furrows stand with water each winter there is an interesting selection of reeds/sedges/rushes. It is getting strip grazed by equines at the moment and they are taking the tops off most of them. A back fence is preventing too much poaching. The aim is to take a crop of hay before grazing it again.

Will pruning hard reduce the reeds/sedges/rushes or encourage them to grow vigorously?

Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post
    Roundup/Plough/Subsoil/Decent fast growing grass seed
    Agree this is probably the best course of action. Better than spending money on chemistry.

To kill round stemmed rushes I would use staff and spear plus oil. apparently rolling them down first bruises them and helps the chemical work. Best done in June when they are growing strongly.