Thread: de-budder/ Horn-up de-horner

de-budder/ Horn-up de-horner

Hi - I'm new to the forum and we're looking for a new de-budder to use on calves upto a month old (normally 2/ 3 weeks). This one looks pretty robust and sales pitch says it gets hot quickly http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf...25D9106EA3B939
    But anyone got any experience of it? Or suggestions of a good one? Thanks

Re: de-budder/ Horn-up de-horner

It probably works quite well on smaller ones - but seems very expensive to me.
    You can't beat gas powered ones of one kind or another.

We use hornex, it works brilliantly and gets the job done at the same time as tagging. It's not the same as having a really hot thing to wave about though
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

We use a horn-up. Works well when the horns barely detectable, less so when they're a bit bigger. To be fair, that's not unique to it and they say to expect that. As we're doing bought-in calves, can't always hit them at the ideal time.

It'll do maybe 20-25 on a charge, not 40 but that's still OK. Doesn't like doing a lot of goes in quick succession (when you give one a 2nd go for luck) to protect the battery. We've just replaced the ceramic bit around the element for the second time as it's brittle and easily cracked, about 5.

We got one a couple of years ago. First year using it was a bit hit and miss. Around half a dozen heifers out of 55 have nubbins. Last years batch look perfect so i'm putting the first year down to user error.
    A couple of points to make.

• Ignore anyone who tells you you don't need to use anesthetic. If they like I can come round and shove a hot iron into their head for 7 seconds and if they say it doesn't hurt i'll take it back!
    • Invest in some small clippers. I have a little wahl set that fit in the palm of your hand and are essential for clearing hair away from the bud. Not only do you get a clear view of what you're aiming for it stops any hair getting into the wound and becoming infected.
    • Don't forget to twist it a couple of times or you leave a bit. (the problem in the first year I think)
    • ALWAYS give the bud a blast with blue spray afterwords. Boss did a handful last year when I was away and clearly didn't. Not pleasant when one of our calf paddocks backs onto houses and you have people constantly phoning to let you know that some calves have bug crusty scabs on the top of their heads!
    • I always give it a cycle before I do the first one. Not entirely confident it gets up to temperature properly first time.

We block calve and so I do them at around 4 days as they move from individual pens into their batches. Had a couple last year that I had to leave another week as the bud wasn't defined enough to be sure to get cleanly but its not a big ask to grab them in the field and do them there. Agree with e3120 about the number of cycles being a touch optimistic. 40 to 50 on a full charge would be about right so 20-25 calves if you get them all first time.

HH

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    We use hornex, it works brilliantly and gets the job done at the same time as tagging. It's not the same as having a really hot thing to wave about though
    +1