Thread: Electrical Requirement for Parlour

Electrical Requirement for Parlour

A neighbour I do relief milking for when they are away is thinking about upgrading the parlour or do a new one if they have a suitable site. I hear stories from men that have to increase their electric supply when they put in a new nice sized parlour.

Just wondering what is the average electrical requirement to run a parlour these days, say a 20pt or 12/14pt doubled up? He's on single phase at the minute but there is a 3-phase supply nearby but would prefer to stay single phase to keep costs down.

Maybe he might not need an upgrade but since a bigger vacuum pump will be needed and I am not sure what kw these will take to run, its the reason why he is investigating this area at an early stage too.

Re: Electrical Requirement for Parlour

I would guess it will be the tank that will maybe make supply upgrades required. We don't milk now, But the vac pump for our 16/16 can only have been a couple of kw. Just guessing though.

Put in the 3 phase if you can,3 phase motors are much better than single and if you are like every other dairy farmer in the country you will soon expand and run out of power on single phase,
    Our 20/40 has 2 3kw vac pumps a 1kw milk pump 1kw cluster flush pump and a 6 kw water heater plus another 3kw heater for the bulk tank.lights pulsators agitator motors are all on top of this.milk cooling is 2 3kw compressors.

Thanks for that.

Can you still run the likes of your milk tank/coolers which are single phase from a three phase supply and by being three phase, do you have the benefit of a 200A supply installed instead of 100A or did I read that wrong somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Hammond View Post
    Thanks for that.

Can you still run the likes of your milk tank/coolers which are single phase from a three phase supply and by being three phase, do you have the benefit of a 200A supply installed instead of 100A or did I read that wrong somewhere?
    yes ,from 3 phase use 1 phase and neutral for single phase
    the amps on a 3 phase motor are lower anyway as the volts are higher