Thread: Horse & Hound card scam

Horse & Hound card scam

Daughter in law placed an advertisment in Horse and Hounds on Friday for one of her horses that she has trained up. Saturday morning she gets a phone call from "Horse & Hounds" saying that her payment had not gone through, and asking her to give her card details again, She said they obviously had read the advert, as they were talking about the horse, and knew what they were talking about. Anyway she gave the card details again, thinking she had got a number wrong.

Half an hour later she had a call from "HSBC fraud department". Had she used her card for some unusual activity. She said no, so the said they would put an immediate stop on the card and send her a new one. She thought great, the bank is on top of it's job.

This morning (Sunday) she thought she would just check her balance online, and found that she was 5,500 out of pocket!

She contacted HSBC who said that their fraud department had not contacted her - must have been the scammers who said enough to stop her contacting the bank to give them time to do their stuff.

Not only had her current account been cleared, but they had transferred money from her savings account to her current account so they could get that as well. They had changed passwords, log in details, and secret question answers.

I put Horse & Hound card scam into google and apparantly this has happened before. Be warned - don't tell anyone anything!!

Re: Horse & Hound card scam

If the banks ring you always ring them back on the number on the back of your statement.

Not only had her current account been cleared, but they had transferred money from her savings account to her current account so they could get that as well. They had changed passwords, log in details, and secret question answers.
    Don't understand how they could do any of that from being told a credit card detail.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Don't understand how they could do any of that from being told a credit card detail.
    Unless it was an inside job or the computer had been compromised! Personally, I don't trust onllne banking either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnick View Post
    Daughter in law placed an advertisment in Horse and Hounds on Friday for one of her horses that she has trained up. Saturday morning she gets a phone call from "Horse & Hounds" saying that her payment had not gone through, and asking her to give her card details again, She said they obviously had read the advert, as they were talking about the horse, and knew what they were talking about. Anyway she gave the card details again, thinking she had got a number wrong.

Half an hour later she had a call from "HSBC fraud department". Had she used her card for some unusual activity. She said no, so the said they would put an immediate stop on the card and send her a new one. She thought great, the bank is on top of it's job.

This morning (Sunday) she thought she would just check her balance online, and found that she was 5,500 out of pocket!

She contacted HSBC who said that their fraud department had not contacted her - must have been the scammers who said enough to stop her contacting the bank to give them time to do their stuff.

I put Horse & Hound card scam into google and apparantly this has happened before. Be warned - don't tell anyone anything!!
    Something else going on...
    Passwords???
    Personal details?
    Needs a combination of these to change the things you describe.
    No doubt these can be discovered or researched online, combined with advert info.
    Or did victim reveal secret passwords etc when called by the fake fraud team?
    No consolation, but banks repeatedly warn you that they will never contact you and ask for these details, not the entire password. Individual letters, or some other method that prevents you from divulging the total password.
    Hard lesson to learn.
    Surprised HSBC were not alerted by the unusual activity on the accounts.
    Two or three times My bank has contacted me asking if certain transactions were genuine, they were not!
    Transactions cleared and new card issued, problem solved.
    gee

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Something else going on...
    Passwords???
    Personal details?
    Needs a combination of these to change the things you describe.
    No doubt these can be discovered or researched online, combined with advert info.
    Or did victim reveal secret passwords etc when called by the fake fraud team?
    No consolation, but banks repeatedly warn you that they will never contact you and ask for these details, not the entire password. Individual letters, or some other method that prevents you from divulging the total password.
    Hard lesson to learn.
    Surprised HSBC were not alerted by the unusual activity on the accounts.
    Two or three times My bank has contacted me asking if certain transactions were genuine, they were not!
    Transactions cleared and new card issued, problem solved.
    gee
    She is unsure what details she gave them as they were so convincing about the horse - they had done their research on the advert, and kept her talking about anything equestrian rather than her bank details.

Anyway she rang the bank on Sunday morning when she realised 5,500 had gone astray. The bank said the fraud team did not work on Sunday, but they would put a stop to any further internet transactions. They issued her with new ID and passwords etc

At 5 o'clock and 10 oclock', the scammers had two more goes, changed her details etc. again and took anither 2000.

Now the odd thing is that she only had 1100 in her accounts in the first place. The Bank had refused her an overdraft as she was a poor risk (don't ask). However the scammers were able to arrange an overdraft to cover their withdrawals.

Fortunately, this was a business account, and was well covered for busines fraud, and hopefully she will not be out of pocket (so the bank says). And to add to it she is really pissed as to why they can get an overdraft on her account, and she can't!

I am a mild mannered man, but if I could find out who is doing this, the a gallon of petrol and a box of matches would got a long long way!!

Hmmm
    Someone with Access to the Banks computer system?
    Illegally?
    Computer glitch ?
    Hackers into the Banks system?
    gee

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnick View Post
    She is unsure what details she gave them as they were so convincing about the horse - they had done their research on the advert, and kept her talking about anything equestrian rather than her bank details.

Anyway she rang the bank on Sunday morning when she realised 5,500 had gone astray. The bank said the fraud team did not work on Sunday, but they would put a stop to any further internet transactions. They issued her with new ID and passwords etc

At 5 o'clock and 10 oclock', the scammers had two more goes, changed her details etc. again and took anither 2000.

Now the odd thing is that she only had 1100 in her accounts in the first place. The Bank had refused her an overdraft as she was a poor risk (don't ask). However the scammers were able to arrange an overdraft to cover their withdrawals.

Fortunately, this was a business account, and was well covered for busines fraud, and hopefully she will not be out of pocket (so the bank says). And to add to it she is really pissed as to why they can get an overdraft on her account, and she can't!

I am a mild mannered man, but if I could find out who is doing this, the a gallon of petrol and a box of matches would got a long long way!!

Latest update - the bank has restored her status to what it was on Friday, money in account, unauthorised overdrafts cancelled etc, although she has no telephone or internet banking at the moment. They are looking into the fraud as they know what account her money was transferred to.

I will wait in eager anticipation with my gallon of petrol

Given how professional they were in getting her info and money, I doubt the money stayed in the destination account any more than a few minutes, then it was gone "off shore" someplace.

It happens all the time, especially to nice people who trust people at their word. A can of Petro isn't enough - you want to string them up by their &*^% and use a dull knife to . . .