Thread: How Important Is Good Ploughing?

How Important Is Good Ploughing?

I know for many it's an art form but I'm more interested in the practicalities of turning a sod. So just how important is ploughing to the right depth? So what if one furrow is bigger than the others? Who needs skimmers in grassland?

Re: How Important Is Good Ploughing?

I spose it all depends on circumstances. It's more important the less acres you have.

for example I do a 240 acres of tillage 100 of which is winter crops. I have a 4 furrow and a good enough tractor so I'm well set up for my acres and can afford the time to make sure to do a good job. But if I was to say rent a farm next year bringing my acres to 400 and I had the same equipment ploughing would become a lot less quality focused.

What affect this would have on yield I'm not sure

From what I see it.s the guys that do the best ploughing that generally have the best crops. They usually have the straighest tramlines too!
    Not sure that this is really to do with the way it's ploughed but more about their attitude to their work and general attention to detail.
    If you're ploughing at all plough it right, if ploughing grass get the discs and skimmers on and bury all the grass in the bottom of furrow so that when you're cultivating and sowing sods won't appear. Powerharrow or disc ends before you start ploughing so that you won't be leaving big sods when finishing up.

if your ploughing for a grass reseed you need to be doing a decent job , especialy if its heavy ground , if you make an arse of it , you'll be bouning over it for years to come . if its an arable farm , all you need to do is loosen up the soil the power harrow well do the rest

Depends whether you define good ploughing by the straightness of furrow or the effective burial of trash or...or..or

Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post
    Depends whether you define good ploughing by the straightness of furrow or the effective burial of trash or...or..or
    straightness is over rated , matching is more important

If you are organic, good ploughing is vital.

Quote Originally Posted by redgiant View Post
    I know for many it's an art form but I'm more interested in the practicalities of turning a sod. So just how important is ploughing to the right depth? So what if one furrow is bigger than the others? Who needs skimmers in grassland?
    Depends on soil type, weed burden and intended crop.

Fine level seed bed wins for me most times

Good ploughing :- make sure skimmers trash boards set to bury trash nice level ploughing each furrow to match the next . Ins and out even and if it's ploughed into the dyke there's no deep furrow left in the field . As for straitness it's not the end of the world but makes life easier to follow with the next pass ! Once your plough is set up right it will stay strait in the main .

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    if your ploughing for a grass reseed you need to be doing a decent job , especialy if its heavy ground , if you make an arse of it , you'll be bouning over it for years to come .
    +1
    Straight won't matter once it's been worked into a seedbed, but if it isn't level and even you'll curse it ever time you have to drive across the direction you ploughed it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoaktree View Post
    Good ploughing :- make sure skimmers trash boards set to bury trash nice level ploughing each furrow to match the next . Ins and out even and if it's ploughed into the dyke there's no deep furrow left in the field . As for straitness it's not the end of the world but makes life easier to follow with the next pass ! Once your plough is set up right it will stay strait in the main .
    Can't get too worried about straight it is, with the ground being either very very dry and hard or slippery on top I'd much rather it was done in accordance with timing and soil conditions than much else.

Provided you get enough trash out of the way to run subsequent kit, leaving odds and sods on top alive isn't the end of the world as you can usually whip in a bit of glyphosate with pre-ems if needs be. Not recommended though, certainly not in maize.

Most years if its winter ploughing you doing try to do it well before xmas then let the winter frosts do the work for you making a seed bed after some good winter frost so easy clash the gate and its done . Luckily Ive no spring crops in this year as it was to wet up until recently to plough anything . Bit of wheat to pull out where its not grown but not much .