Thread: Rolling grass ley before or after spraying??

Rolling grass ley before or after spraying??

Need to spray a ley for chickweed, so going to go in with some triad to take it out and hopefully leave the clover. My question is that the ley needs rolling - we are on the brash, so when should I roll? If I spray at the end of next week will I harm the ley if I roll too soon to spraying? Growing good grass isn't cheap anymore so don't want to make a balls up of it! Cheers

Re: Rolling grass ley before or after spraying??

Quote Originally Posted by PowerQuadPlus View Post
    Need to spray a ley for chickweed, so going to go in with some triad to take it out and hopefully leave the clover. My question is that the ley needs rolling - we are on the brash, so when should I roll? If I spray at the end of next week will I harm the ley if I roll too soon to spraying? Growing good grass isn't cheap anymore so don't want to make a balls up of it! Cheers
    Which job is more important, the rolling or the spraying? I would do that first. However you must leave at least 7 days between spraying and rolling or harrowing either side of spraying if that makes sense.

Clover wants to have 3 good trifoliate leaves and be going happily before you use triad. White clover seems less sensitive to SU chemistry, red clover really doesn't like it. Either way it's going to be like being shot in the leg. It'll hurt it but it should live. Try to match the rate of triad to the infestation of chickweed if you can. 5-7 grams works ok. Think the maximum is 10, have had good results when used at 3grams but I never use it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Which job is more important, the rolling or the spraying? I would do that first. However you must leave at least 7 days between spraying and rolling or harrowing either side of spraying if that makes sense.

Clover wants to have 3 good trifoliate leaves and be going happily before you use triad. White clover seems less sensitive to SU chemistry, red clover really doesn't like it. Either way it's going to be like being shot in the leg. It'll hurt it but it should live. Try to match the rate of triad to the infestation of chickweed if you can. 5-7 grams works ok. Think the maximum is 10, have had good results when used at 3grams but I never use it alone.
    Thanks for the reply. The most important thing in my eyes is to take the chickweed out, rolling can wait a week or two if needs be.

To be fair I have always thought triad and spruce is used together to hit back the chickweed, but agronomist reckons to just use triad. It's a red clover IRG ley, min tilled after wholecrop last autumn so the clover is well established, I just hope it doesn't get knocked about too much by the spray.

I reckon if I am to persist in min tilling grass in behind cereals to leave then clover out, then spray in spring and then add the clover.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerQuadPlus View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The most important thing in my eyes is to take the chickweed out, rolling can wait a week or two if needs be.

To be fair I have always thought triad and spruce is used together to hit back the chickweed, but agronomist reckons to just use triad. It's a red clover IRG ley, min tilled after wholecrop last autumn so the clover is well established, I just hope it doesn't get knocked about too much by the spray.

I reckon if I am to persist in min tilling grass in behind cereals to leave then clover out, then spray in spring and then add the clover.
    Min-tilling grass in behind cereals works well, I do it a lot. It will take time for the clover to really get going, by 2nd cut it will really be moving just have to be patient. Avoids the cost of ploughing and so forth so people really like it.

The problem with putting in clover into an already established grass ley is that the grass can dominate it, the clover won't be all that competitive when it is very young.

Everywhere I look I see some variable results with grass last autumn because of how dry it was. The stuff that went in later, October time, worked well because it never got thirsty, but then clover will not like being put in in the cold and wet.

I am sure the Triad will work fine, it will recover and grow away from it, chickweed has to go because it blots out the ley otherwise.

Hope this helps.