Thread: Front mower advice

Front mower advice

Im buying my first front mower and im currently running a 10 foot john deere mower conditioner and its not ready for replacing yet but when I do id like a lely mower so would a front lely mower work ok with my current mower? What width of front mower should I go for if its going to be on a T7.200? Im also a hilly farm so which type of front mower would be best?

Re: Front mower advice

different brands will work ok

width will depend on gateways and access

only thing is youll notice a big differance in the way the grass is conditioned . the jd probbalbly got one of the best conditioners on it and lely's, well a lely

It's interesting you say that about the lely. I've heard JD is good conditioner but the mowers weigh so much. Does anyone else think lely has a worse conditioner?

I run a set of triple lely mowers bought mainly on the price and a good dealer . Ran class triples before the conditioner on them was better but saying that never had any complaints from customers . I would buy a 3.2 front mower as they are pretty much the same transport width as the 2.8 .

a lely conditioner hardly marks the grass and the swath seems to lay tight on the ground and is very hard to rake or pick up if its been tramped on. im not a fan and suggest look at anything else

Interesting to pick up the thread that steel conditioners do a better job than non metal in these posts. In tests done for Profi in Europe some years ago the top dying rates came from a JF and Kuhn. At that time the Kuhn was with plastic tines and ours (JF) was with PE fingers shaped and mounted like a steel tine. So many people think plastic tines are all the same. They aren't and ours (PE polyethylene) were developed over a long period 20 odd years ago and they do condition the grass. If you don't believe this pm me and we'll happily come along in the season and demonstrate what I say above! By the way the best conditioner is a mix of wind and sunshine -

Its more the shape of the tyne rather than what there made of . You can see the lely tynes are just combing the grass and once there worn they do even less . The v shaped tynes break the stem more which leaves it more fluffed up allowing the air to get through it

[QUOTE=Recycled;225607]Its more the shape of the tyne rather than what there made of . You can see the lely tynes are just combing the grass and once there worn they do even less . The v shaped tynes break the stem more which leaves it more fluffed up allowing the air to get through it[/QUOTE

Yes and ours are shaped like as steel tine and are actually thicker. Have a look at www.kongskilde.com

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Holden View Post
    Interesting to pick up the thread that steel conditioners do a better job than non metal in these posts. In tests done for Profi in Europe some years ago the top dying rates came from a JF and Kuhn. At that time the Kuhn was with plastic tines and ours (JF) was with PE fingers shaped and mounted like a steel tine. So many people think plastic tines are all the same. They aren't and ours (PE polyethylene) were developed over a long period 20 odd years ago and they do condition the grass. If you don't believe this pm me and we'll happily come along in the season and demonstrate what I say above! By the way the best conditioner is a mix of wind and sunshine -
    We had jd and kuhn in the same 20a field last year the rake man and harvester man both said the jd did a far better conditioning then the kuhn, they also thought the grass went through the harvester better 24hrs wilt.

Quote Originally Posted by MISTERTUBBY2 View Post
    We had jd and kuhn in the same 20a field last year the rake man and harvester man both said the jd did a far better conditioning then the kuhn, they also thought the grass went through the harvester better 24hrs wilt.
    Can't argue that, but our tine system is very different to the Kuhn system.

We run a Krone 3.2m front mower and a Pottinger 3.05m rear mounted on a T7 210 on some steeper ground and have had plenty power so far. Traction was an issue in one field but the tractor has crap tyres which are getting changed soon.

Better to go for a 3.1 or 3.2 front mower to give a little overlap if you start crabbing on a hillside.

We're going for a John Deere front mower, on the pure & simple grounds that it matches the one we have on the back.
    I never think a front & rear outfit looks right in different colours/makes. On second thoughts though I suppose running two with different conditioner configurations, you're definitely going to see if there is any difference in drying/wilting.

We've just a NH T6-175 and I'm hoping it'll cope with two 10' mowers OK. Haven't got the front 331 home yet, but I think you know our back mower is your (Chippy's) old one,

Next generation of Kuhn mowers will have steel conditoner tines. New design called the Digidry finger.

http://www.kuhnnorthamerica.com/inte...20FCTLDTCD.pdf

Thought jd mowers were made by Kuhn but with different conditioner tines , we ran jd front and rears 2,8's had a problem with over lap on side of hills so would suggest 3or3,2 m for front , just running a Kuhn rear now which does a grand job

Ordered a 3 meter front kvernaland along with a new holland T7.200 off lloyds

I used to have a Lely front mower. Good in easy conditions, but the conditioner is next to useless and it eats slip clutches for breakfast, really is a case of buy cheap buy twice.
    As said, go for the widest front you can, not a lot of difference in transport width.
    Was JD Andrew before we were reincarnated......

There's a fair difference between the 9 and ten ft jd/Kuhn.

I have a jd 228a and it's a good deal lighter than the 131.

But it looks like the 131 is both higher and has a larger diameter conditioner ; most likely to handle heavier crops.

Horses for courses?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I used to have a Lely front mower. Good in easy conditions, but the conditioner is next to useless and it eats slip clutches for breakfast, really is a case of buy cheap buy twice.
    As said, go for the widest front you can, not a lot of difference in transport width.
    Slip clutches seem to be a common complaint on the Lely's, I've seen a lot of boys with them going within the first year

IMO conditioners aren't worth the bother anyway!

im going to change my order to a 10 foot because I know of someone that regretted getting a 9 foot because on banks if you slip then you leave stripes and ive plenty of steep banks!

You not fancy a John Deere when you're on? Then you've got a pair. There's good deals going at the moment. I was quoted 30% less than list price for a brand new one.

Prefer to buy off lloyds, Johnstons don't put the effort in to try sell stuff to me but lloyds put a lot of effort in which is why they got the tractor sale. I know of people running kuhns on back and kvernalands on front and they like both of them so eventually I think I will stick a kvernaland on back

As has already been said, definitely go for a 10' to avoid the misses. I wrecked my Fella last year and after looking at all of the manufacturers, I thought that the Poettinger was the best; having said that, it would make sense to have the same front and back so that you only need one set of blades.

buy a lely mower .local contractor has triples & he cuts upwards of 4000 acre a year . looks for 3 seasons a set

Nothing wrong with lely IMO, get a straight mower without conditioner and buy a Tedder with what you save

Got our new front mower home today. Seems OK first look over, but time will no doubt tell.