Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Various views from Western Australia.................

Various views from Western Australia.................

Bits of allsorts, not much ag stuff to begin with until later when we wander off south for the second 2 weeks-

Graffiti type sign-righting!

Bring back the P50 pickup!

In the car park of the dealership where our boy works.........we were both taken for a spin in the Ferrari...!!! Spotted the reg plate while waiting for Mrs ff on her circuit

Top selling car in WA, used sale ticket! -225315 in todays rate!! Optional oil filler & dipstick caps anyone? View thru the observation glass into the workshop, note the Lambo, that will appear later.....

Amusing play on words for a local business

Re: Various views from Western Australia.................

Handy sized mixer truck, popular thing about here

Went to Freemantle & had a look around. Nice old Datsun & nice old colonial type hotel! Massarati quitely parked in a side street

Caught a few Roo's in the shade at a local wildlife park

A busy time in the life cycle of a Koala, wake up, stretch claws & crash out again......!

Also in Whiteman Park where the animal place was, is the WA tractor museum, hope to get back on an open day

Standing guard at the doors

Just stood outside the entrance is this old JD trailed harvester and the old IH under cover

Look closely, pic grabbed on a freeway where sand extraction is underway before housebuilding starts. Looks like a Fastrack on water cart..............some may say that at least it may get a chance if it catches fire and the bowser is still full!!

Perth is just one huge sand pit, its everywhere and gets everywhere too!

ff

Those building sites to the North of Perth are probably the biggest environmental disasters that I have ever seen.
    Brand new city built overnight. Massive supermarket malls with nobody in them because the houses aren't finished yet.
    I guess it is a small spot on a big country but I was shocked. I thought it was probably why they built that koala park, their homes had gone.

Is Fremantle where that massive fancy shopping centre is by the water. V+ posh

I'm sure you have a schedule but the Pinnacles is worth the trip.

Hope you went to the old brewery in Freemantle have fun it is a feat country
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Are you visiting the Caterpillar factory? Meant to be really good. We couldn't get on a visit when we were in Perth but some friends did.

ff
    Welcome to the land of sunburn!

I'm enjoying your Traveler's Tales; always interesting to see one's country thru outside eyes.

I expect utes (pickups) such as those in your pics to disappear from the market in due course, with our new, il-Liberal Fed government refusing to continue support for the GM manufacturing business. Indeed, when Toyota goes in (I think) 2017, there will be no Aus car manufacturing industry.

Re the sand in Perth, when The Narrows bridge across the Swan was being built in the early '70s, I remember seeing "mountains" of sand being created at each abutment site. I was told its weight was being used to squeeze the water out of the silt and compact it before the concrete footings were poured. Sand is so useful

Finally, what was I saying about the young having no understanding of the rigours of long flights?

JV

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Hope you went to the old brewery in Freemantle have fun it is a feat country
    yes there are many many great breweries in WA nowadays and of course a trip down to Margret River is absolutely necessary to visit the many wineries and breweries there. WA is a fantastic State - the finacial powerhouse of Australia and without it, Tasmania would be broke!

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Are you visiting the Caterpillar factory? Meant to be really good. We couldn't get on a visit when we were in Perth but some friends did.
    Didn't know there was a factory here? not much comes up on google either

ff

Quote Originally Posted by Inter674 View Post
    yes there are many many great breweries in WA nowadays and of course a trip down to Margret River is absolutely necessary to visit the many wineries and breweries there. WA is a fantastic State - the finacial powerhouse of Australia and without it, Tasmania would be broke!
    We're in Bussleton and its "Bushtucker Tour" tomorrow, will let the boy muck about with that but the 7 wineries and other places may need close examination! Be a chance for all 4 to join in without one to hang back for driving!

ff

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Those building sites to the North of Perth are probably the biggest environmental disasters that I have ever seen.
    Brand new city built overnight. Massive supermarket malls with nobody in them because the houses aren't finished yet.
    I guess it is a small spot on a big country but I was shocked. I thought it was probably why they built that koala park, their homes had gone.

There is a bit on Wiki about the development corridor that is now the explosion of building. Only thing you can say abou it is that at least its not good Ag land, but its going up at am amazing pace and the ones like son & future Daughter-in-law are renting are jam packed in plus seem a bit "jerry" built too.
    Will revisit freemantle next week when me & Mrs ff go off on our own down south

The animal place was in Whiteman Park http://www.whitemanpark.com.au/ Left to WA buy a very old bachelor who preferred the country to town.

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    ff
    Welcome to the land of sunburn!

I'm enjoying your Traveler's Tales; always interesting to see one's country thru outside eyes.

I expect utes (pickups) such as those in your pics to disappear from the market in due course, with our new, il-Liberal Fed government refusing to continue support for the GM manufacturing business. Indeed, when Toyota goes in (I think) 2017, there will be no Aus car manufacturing industry.

Re the sand in Perth, when The Narrows bridge across the Swan was being built in the early '70s, I remember seeing "mountains" of sand being created at each abutment site. I was told its weight was being used to squeeze the water out of the silt and compact it before the concrete footings were poured. Sand is so useful

Finally, what was I saying about the young having no understanding of the rigours of long flights?

JV

Hello John,

Finally got here, they tell me its more england like over there in Taz, could do with that here in perth, although Busselton seems better although pretty breezy...............hear there may be the tail end of a F2 cyclone coming in too!!

Will keep trying to add more pictures for you!

rgds

Peter

Bit odd at first on the freeway, they have a train service running in the central reservation, the stations are also where the bus services call at and there are car parking areas too. Seems very logical

Kings Park, great big city centre park overlooking the Swan River, spent a fair afternoon walking it

Remember the Lambo, Sat was race day at the local raceway that is sponsored mainly by our sons employer. Saw some nice old UK motors and a few big old Holdens squealing around the corners. The Ferrari had recently had all the engine & transmission, coolers etc our for mods and put back in, son was relived he'd done it without any leaks after practice which was its first real run

Not long after this the green mini rolled over 6 times and concussed the driver pretty bad, made a mess of it too. Black car must of been a YFC entry???

New owner of the Lambo on his 1st real outing missed 3rd gear out of the corner, then found it, stalled it as she broke away, I'd only just moved to the spot & had camera on multi shot so go a nice long set of him loosing it!!

Ideal for collecting parts during harvest??

ff

Went to the Swan Valley last sunday with the youngsters, just doing the touristy bits and as we were about to pull out onto the highway these little monsters rolled by........

Looks like a couple of Cat dumptrucks minus their body and inner wheels. There are a lot of these about with many mines in WA. The rapid development around Perth is blamed in part on this massive industry where many do Fly-Fo - fly into the mining areas up north to work for 2 weeks solid then fly out (back) for 1 full week of R&R, making housing a lot more expensive round perth & suburbs

Just some general snaps, triple road trains are a common sight. Then 3 photos of general subjects, grass looks dead in one picture and then green and lush with a drop of irrigation

ff.

ff

"..they tell me its more england like over there in Taz.."

Correct - certainly compared to W.A., but unique in many ways; ask Ex Farmer, Gee & Inter674.

With Tas. seemly in a constant depression, many workers are mine fly in-fly outs from here, some only coming back to Perth, others all the way home each break. Interesting to contemplate how far the effects of China's growth reaches.

JV

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    ff

"..they tell me its more england like over there in Taz.."

Correct - certainly compared to W.A., but unique in many ways; ask Ex Farmer, Gee & Inter674.

With Tas. seemly in a constant depression, many workers are mine fly in-fly outs from here, some only coming back to Perth, others all the way home each break. Interesting to contemplate how far the effects of China's growth reaches.

JV
    Lot of Kiwi's doing the fly in-fly outs too

sydney is is much the same, I'm working out in kellyville in the western suburbs where the development is staggering. They are bulldozing everything in the path to create new housing estates. At the rate they are going. It won't be long before Perth and Sydney are joint

A few shots of some B&W dummocks and caught a snap of one area where there was quite a bit of irrigation going on for salad and green crops, south of Bunbury. They seem to favour beds and sprinklers

Busslton Jetty, longest timber jetty in the southern hemisphere. Built in the 1800's for loading timber into ships on shallow water, IIRC 2km long. View from either end. At the sea end they built an observation area under it so you can go down and look out of windows at the sea life around the Jetty

See a few old shacks left like this.

A few vines from Margret river area, and a grape picker parked up, they are just picking the last group of red grapes there now

Freemantle Prison. Well worth the visit, only closed in the late 80's after approx 100 years and only because they were still slopping out after the sewage main broke a few years after it opened. Built from limestone quarried out the the hill it stands on, it was a hard place to do time, tiny cells at night, for the 30% without a prison job, daytime meant being locked in the various yards with no shelter other than the shade from the building or walls, shelters were only added 10-15 years before it closed.

Last picture is the execution block, IIRC 45 men and one woman were hung here.

Remember the funny number plate way back? Well heres the town for it, Cowaramup, better known as Cowtown!! Loads of plastic coows about. The small ag dealer/spares place is also the gas station, they sell the kubota look-alike tractors & mules. Also had a little great plains seeder in stock. I quite liked the castrol rack with bottles of oil complete with screw on funnel stood on the forecourt, looks like they refill them out the back from bulk- proper old fashioned way!

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Freemantle Prison. Well worth the visit, only closed in the late 80's after approx 100 years and only because they were still slopping out after the sewage main broke a few years after it opened. Built from limestone quarried out the the hill it stands on, it was a hard place to do time, tiny cells at night, for the 30% without a prison job, daytime meant being locked in the various yards with no shelter other than the shade from the building or walls, shelters were only added 10-15 years before it closed.
    Did you see any reference to something called "The Catalpa Rescue", I think the same prison was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalway View Post
    Did you see any reference to something called "The Catalpa Rescue", I think the same prison was involved.

Heard about the prisoner sentenced to hard labour breaking rocks in the courtyard, hidden behind a wall of crushed stone the guards failed to spot that his hammering was actually him breaking through the limestone wall.........!

Googled Catalpa, quite interesting, ta John.

Haven't put any more pictures up recently because here in Oz their hotels & motels lag way behind the rest of the world over free wi-fi and when you do get some its very slow too! So in the meantime here is a single picture capturing a humorous sign in Denmark, WA to be going on with.........................!

ff

Nice pics ff, keep them coming.

Will you be going to Kalgoorlie and a drive down the tin horse highway, I was pulled twice for speeding going to Kalgoorlie the copper was like "don't you know your doing 80 through the town" and I'm like this is a town there is six houses a mile apart!
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

I always forget to look at the photo section Interesting set there FF and thank you for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    Will you be going to Kalgoorlie and a drive down the tin horse highway, I was pulled twice for speeding going to Kalgoorlie the copper was like "don't you know your doing 80 through the town" and I'm like this is a town there is six houses a mile apart!
    All in good time..........

Haven't put much up of late as for the last 2 weeks we were touring around and the internet isn't too good in much of Oz, in some places there is nothing!

Remember the tractor museum? well we got back there at a weekend when there were some volunteers manning the Tractor Museum of Western Australia so here are a few snaps (BTW camera says 1880 images in total!!)

Couple of views of a famous Chamberlin tractor that some chaps drove some distance IIRC

Most of the exhibits get a run out on sundays when they potter around the internal roads of Whiteman Park in a tractor run

I have been to very few places in Oz where a Telstra sim can't find any internet.
    May be of use to you

I have been to very few places in Oz where a Telstra sim can't find any internet.
    May be of use to you
    Son had a Telstra sim ready for us but only calls & text to go in an old phone (wife only just had a new iphone on VF so didn't want to jailbreak & void the warranty, nor use it there at vodafones rates!!)

Really referring to Australian B&B's/motel/hotels that still haven't jumped on the wi-fi bandwagon. After the USA and virtually 99% availability of wi-fi there, Oz seems on the back foot. Surprising how many places are starting to break ranks and offering free wi-fi or a limited 100mb worth.

ff

Telstra sim in a mifi dongle is the answer then.

Do places in UK offer free wifi? The places I have stayed at expect payment or if they do provide wifi it is tortuously slow.

Still at the museum...

A few more old brits, and then an interesting old lathe they are still using in the "workshop" area!

Now heres an interesting bit of kit, made from locally sourced truck parts, there are old axles & brakes off of HGV's and what looked like a cummin's 2 stroke??

Built "locally" in a bid to get the benefit of a big puller but at a fraction of the cost. Bet the cab was a bit noisy!!

Still looking at the big old pivot steer, Still it looks like they had the brake department well catered for??

Change of style, time for a few tracklayers- made me think about my old crawler in bits at home!

A few more wheeled models