Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Various views from Western Australia.................

Re: Various views from Western Australia.................

And yet more...

Bit of a change in styles over the years shown in this row

A british built IH? then the classic Chambelains....

Just a few more run of the mill types-

Still in the museum, this tractor puzzled me at first with the huge truck mirror stuck out on its long arm, then looking back it dawned that there was more to this than just that one tractor!!

Someone had made this model to show how they used this monster towing disc ploughs. The thought of driving/maintaining just the three power-units seemed enough, but to add the disc's as well made me wonder how the driver managed when he had a bad day break-down wise?

These explain a bit more about them

Finally, there was this little gem that looked like it ought to be in the HSE's "nightmare" machine category!

ff

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Someone had made this model to show how they used this monster towing disc ploughs. The thought of driving/maintaining just the three power-units seemed enough, but to add the disc's as well made me wonder how the driver managed when he had a bad day break-down wise?

These explain a bit more about them

Finally, there was this little gem that looked like it ought to be in the HSE's "nightmare" machine category!

ff
    Saw a modern version of this one (the saw) in Sydney, made to fit onto a 360.......I think it was for sawing stone.
    Accuracy could well be difficult.
    gee

After 2 weeks we went off on our own exploring the bottom corner of Western Australia, went about 2-1/2 hours south of Perth to visit a father & son (late 80's & mid 50's), former dairy farmers they are now into beef having given up the dairy side approx 25-30 years ago. When they changed over the father had the farm surveyed with the intention of getting in an expert to design a flood irrigation system as part of a new scheme supplied some 20 miles away by the wellington dam project. In the end the "expert" was dismissed when it seemed that he wasn't much good, so they did it themselves making an much admired system.

Down the drive to "home", pretty dry here for some time, the water from the flood irrigation eventually ends up in the farm lake/pond

Heifers & calves with a bit of grass, the calves all get into groups and get up to tricks like any kids! IIRC they keep 30 heifer calves, I think they move on the bull calves and weed out anything that look to be troublemakers to make it as easy/safe as possible.

One of the flood channels running down nearly to the house. Mr Hertz's Nissan that we put 3000km on, the "boys" resting in the paddock next to the collie river that runs through the very bottom/lowest part of the farm (IIRC its 2-300acres)

Spot the odd one out, she's supposed to be all black like the rest of them! makes for a bit of leg-pulling with their friend who does the AI! We only stayed the one night- we had a lot to see plus we didn't want to make extra work for our hosts- not that it stopped father cooking us a full roast topside with all the trimmings, and on a wood fuelled rayburn which seemed so ironic for where we were!. The beef was lovely, even if it was from a 2 year old heifer that didn't make the grade - knowing she would be knocked down in value they decided to have her butchered for their own freezer, not that having a hair lip would effect the meat quality

Heres the irrigation channel where the official puts in boards to flood each farm in turn through the night. the water wheels have a counter clock fitted and are solely used to measure the amount of water taken. Official figures put their grass conversion rate at 90% because of their heavy stocking levels that are unusual for the area. The normal type farm converts 60% of their grass, the worst at 30% is the "subsistence farmers" who put little into the job on all accounts.
    The success of their operation really boils down to the irrigation system reaching so much of the farm, they did a lot of grading paddocks to get as much benefit from the water as possible.

ff

Left Bunbury area and headed on down south to Denmark we bypassed the Margret River wine area as we had done that the week before with our son and his girlfriend. Nice tree-lined roads and the odd ag item popped up here and there.

Saw a few places where they were controlling stuff and posting the poisons warning. Elephant cove, if you look hard enough I suppose they begin to look a bit heffa-lump eventually!! Saw some interesting sunsets.

New enterprise not long opened in Denmark! Last 3 are from Albany, #1 is looking towards Emu Point where we found a place to stay, walked along the beach and then two weeks later there they tagged the biggest great white shark they have ever managed with a radio location transmitter. Road train is bringing in grain to the big export terminal there

A long way from anywhere and we came across tiny town and took a wrong turn.......................found this tucked away not farm off the main highway so had to have a nose around. Looked a bit nearly new??

Some of the roads get a bit boring, but more often than not the views are great. Got to an area where they have a lot of stone outcrop which some pick/windrow. Was surprised by the NH/versatile and then came across a few of the grain silos followed by and old trusty weedeater

A lot of grain being hauled to the docks, and more nice views

ff

Justa few odd & bobs as we are heading towards Esperance, a six hour drive to one of the last major seaside towns on WA's southern ocean coast

Lovely beaches often to ourselves! and then a few roadside maintenance paddocks

ff

ff

Thanks for your travelogue; very pleasant reading.

The pic of the 1080 poison notice reminds me of the scam perpetrated on the taxpayers of Aus by politicians and others in Tas.

Some early white settlers brought foxes to Aus. How stupid were they: many of our ground-dwelling animals have been decimated, not to mention lamb losses, as a result. Thus the sign.

Some foxes may have been introduced to Tas also, but if so they never thrived and established - possibly because Tasmanian devils & the now extinct Tasmanian tiger (white settlers, again) liked to snack on fox cubs.

Almost all of Tasmania's sea freight comes via Melbourne. Foxes are common around the Port of Melbourne and a few years one was seen leaving a ship here. Not long after, there were reports of fox sightings in various places as well as a report that fox cubs had been imported for hunting. Because Tas has some unique wildlife, the government of the day was persuaded to establish the Fox Taskforce, whose job was to find and destroy these wily interlopers. To do this, they laid vast numbers of 1080 baits over vast areas of the state over several years. Fox scats were imported to train local dogs to find these elusive critters or their scats. Numerous scats were discovered in widely separate places - including one on an island several miles offshore. Numerous infra red trip cameras were set up as well.

In all, around $30 million has come into Tas. from the Federal government to hunt Reynard over about the last 10 years.

To date: not one live fox has been captured or killed; none of the 2 (3?) carcases found here have been shown to have lived here; not one picture of a fox has been taken. No one has claimed to have heard a fox call. DNA samples claimed to have been from Tas. foxes have been shown to have very produced dubious results. Police investigations have turned up no positive leads.

You might know that Tasmania was once a penal colony, built by convicts transported from England in the early years of the 19C. Indeed, it has been said that our first workers were hand picked by some of the best judges in England! I dare say some of them were accomplished scammers, coz we certainly have some here now!

JV

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    ff

Thanks for your travelogue; very pleasant reading.

The pic of the 1080.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............we certainly have some here now!

JV

Hello John,

Like your tale, sounds like part of an EEC scam!!

Sorry for the long periods between instalments but things have been a bit testing recently and not much spare time, both at home and work! Trying to get the combine outside the workshop and fit all the parts ordered while we were "down under" but its not happened yet!

best rgds

Peter

What did you think of Esperance?
    We did the 6 hour trip as you say and when we got there the beach was shut. Entirely fenced off with security panels!
    Not a trip I would recommend, we pretty much just turned round and went back. Struck me as very much a one horse town.
    Even if the beach had been open it wouldn't have made it much better. Just my opinion, no big regrets in having done it but as we came down the road from Wave Rock I wish we had just turned right when we got to the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    What did you think of Esperance?
    We did the 6 hour trip as you say and when we got there the beach was shut. Entirely fenced off with security panels!
    Not a trip I would recommend, we pretty much just turned round and went back. Struck me as very much a one horse town.
    Even if the beach had been open it wouldn't have made it much better. Just my opinion, no big regrets in having done it but as we came down the road from Wave Rock I wish we had just turned right when we got to the coast.

A bit of a late reply Elvis.........................! Forgot this was still mid-journey- only remembered tonight when looking for some images from a bit further on

Esperance. Our opinion was that it was well worth the long trek there, part of the beach front was shut off too as they were doing work to the sea defences seeing it was past the main season. We found a reasonable motel right on the front which ironically was managed by a chap originally from Southampton and his girlfriend! He gave us the best bits to see guide so we drove west out of town on the Twilight beach road/Eleven mile beach road in a sort of circular route back past Pink Lake and into town again. The bits of the coast were glorious, and again being post season we had it all to ourselves!!

After a brief stop we decided that with a weekend looming we'd better find something to do, originally we were going to look around the wheatlands but it was obvious it was going to be as quite as hell and not too much to look at or decent choice of places to stay, so we headed due north to Norseman, Highway 1 forks off right to the east but we went on further north to Kalgoorie.

Here is a bit of the dealers area from Esperance, big tackle for all the big prairie sized farms we saw on the way in and would see for a way on up towards norseman.

Were on our way to Norseman..................still!

Came across a lot of the roadside/railside grain stores, either the big barn style or many in the heaped up bund with a retaining wall round and proper sheets over the top!!

Saw our first case of readying the drill for autumn drilling

On the straight road, well most of it was. Sad bit was seeing all the plastic bottles strewn down both sides of the highway- thousands and thousands of them. Very surprised to see it.

Kalgoorie. Streets are so wide because it needed then if you wanted to be able to turn the huge waggon trains around

But without the pipeline bringing water from Perth- there wouldn't of been all this today. Here is where the pipeline pours out its water after being handled the same in 6 or 7 pumping stations along the way. the old pipe is interesting with its folded and sealed seam!

Took your time replying there!
    I'm going back again on Wednesday.

Over the other side though, Sydney down to Melbourne.

Have a good time then!

Got to wait until next march- son gets spliced so wedding do and vacation!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Saw a modern version of this one (the saw) in Sydney, made to fit onto a 360.......I think it was for sawing stone.
    Accuracy could well be difficult.
    gee
    Only just seen this ,Peter, but it reminds me of when I worked down in Essex as a drainage officer.
    Doe triple D tractors were just coming in to popularity, one of my fellow officers called them the copulating Fordsons!
    Those tractors go a little further, I suppose they could be called a ménage a trois!!!
    Great fun,
    Regards,
    Jack

Forgot about this thread, but not the trip! Better get the rest of the pictures up before our next trip back to visit the boy out there in March.

Kalgoolie to York

York & Lavendale B&B

Back around Perth & Freemantle

Thanks Pete,

proper brightened a dull wet evening in wet Somerset,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Just brings back memories of driving out to kalgoorlie and stopping in past all the tractor lots I spotted and had a good look round. One time I remember driving along and a cop car pulled out from behind a bush and pulled me over for doing 80K through a town! I was like "where is the town" and the cop said this is a town your driving through and I had to have a look round and there was a house one side of the road stepped back about 100m and two on the other side about 150m back off the road, no shops not even a servo station and I had to confess to the officer I didn't realise I was in a town but he duly gave me a dressing down and took my driving licence to fill out his paperwork but the driving licence number didn't fit in the allocated boxes on his ticket and he got a bit more upset about it for a moment but relented and sent me on my way with a warning 😀
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."