Thread: 8000hrs

8000hrs

Is 8000 hrs too many to be buying a second hand JD 6210 ?

Re: 8000hrs

yes and no, depends on price, condition and service history

Agreed. I bought a JD 6400 with about 11,000 hours for little money. Still going strong 8 years later.
    Ofcourse it has had it's problems but all in all a very cost effective tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim4 View Post
    Is 8000 hrs too many to be buying a second hand JD 6210 ?
    There are more than 8000 hrs in one year. It should last a bit longer.
    I was reading about a big dairy farm in saudi arabai that run jd tractors to 16k hours then do them up and run them on .
    I think they were putting up 5k hours per year.
    I have a caterpillar loader here with over 16k hours and its running the same as it ever did. touch wood

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere8530 View Post
    yes and no, depends on price, condition and service history
    Condition is definitely more important that age or hours. One thing I'd check is the front axle. The TLS ones were no problem but the standard axles were a bugger for the pivot point wearing. We always had a hellish job getting grease into the farm's 6410, even with it jacked up to take the weight off it. Twice the axle needed a trip to the foundry to be rebuilt because of excessive wear. Other than that, it was on 10,000+ hours when I left and had never needed any other work outside of regular services.

Depends exactly what it's been doing and more important where!!! Some people have the gift of being able to ruin a tractor in 80 hrs and scrap it by 800!!!! Agriculture is still in the stone age rendering tractors useless at 5k hrs but in reality they should only be run in after 10 engine oil changesand 4 to 5 axles and transmission oil changes with a shot of grease to all pivots every around 30 to 40hrs. Unfortunately servicing is frowned upon by too many farmers!!!
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

if you buy it and do another 8000 hrs chances are it will still be worth what you paid for it

Quote Originally Posted by Mur Huwcun View Post
    Depends exactly what it's been doing and more important where!!! Some people have the gift of being able to ruin a tractor in 80 hrs and scrap it by 800!!!! Agriculture is still in the stone age rendering tractors useless at 5k hrs but in reality they should only be run in after 10 engine oil changesand 4 to 5 axles and transmission oil changes with a shot of grease to all pivots every around 30 to 40hrs. Unfortunately servicing is frowned upon by too many farmers!!!
    Amazing and scary but true.
    The Duck 2015

I hope to get 20000hrs out of my main tractor.
    If you look at the older tractor clocks that only seemed to clock 4 hrs for an average days work and then look at the newer tractors that clock an hour for an hour,there will be big difference in the amount of work done,for the hours shown,
    I have a 390 here with 8000 hrs and a 399 with 9500hrs,and a new holland tm with nearly 11000,but i recon if this had the same clock setup as the other 2 then it would more likely have 7000 hrs on it.
    You can't believe half the clocks IMO.Look at condition,With a good driver and servicing ,i don't see why we should not be able to aim for at least 20000hrs.
    We do our own repairs and rebuilding,so we may look at it different.At the moment we have more tractors than we need ,so we are never stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNB_IE View Post
    I hope to get 20000hrs out of my main tractor.
    If you look at the older tractor clocks that only seemed to clock 4 hrs for an average days work and then look at the newer tractors that clock an hour for an hour,there will be big difference in the amount of work done,for the hours shown,
    I have a 390 here with 8000 hrs and a 399 with 9500hrs,and a new holland tm with nearly 11000,but i recon if this had the same clock setup as the other 2 then it would more likely have 7000 hrs on it.
    You can't believe half the clocks IMO.Look at condition,With a good driver and servicing ,i don't see why we should not be able to aim for at least 20000hrs.
    We do our own repairs and rebuilding,so we may look at it different.At the moment we have more tractors than we need ,so we are never stuck.
    Not sure if I'm 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure that the older MFs etc ran their clocks at 1hr@1800rpm or something similar. So if it was revving hard (pto work etc road work) it would run up hours quicker than if it was rolling, harrowing etc. I think the idea was it would give you a better indication of how hard it worked as much as how long it worked. I think the new tractors' clocks just count an hour as 60 minutes, regardless of revs. So it could have done 8000hrs on eco-pto on a saw bench or it could be 8000hrs power harrowing and it would register the same.

I got a MF35 in last week lift pump gone. Farmer bought it 30 years ago 2nd hand. It was never serviced in those 30 years not a spanner put to the backend of it anyway. Should have seen the oil that came out of the backend pure milk!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy Dug View Post
    Not sure if I'm 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure that the older MFs etc ran their clocks at 1hr@1800rpm or something similar. So if it was revving hard (pto work etc road work) it would run up hours quicker than if it was rolling, harrowing etc. I think the idea was it would give you a better indication of how hard it worked as much as how long it worked. I think the new tractors' clocks just count an hour as 60 minutes, regardless of revs. So it could have done 8000hrs on eco-pto on a saw bench or it could be 8000hrs power harrowing and it would register the same.
    It would be debatable which is better for the tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by v12cat View Post
    I'd rather the power harrow one!!!
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

Quote Originally Posted by v12cat View Post
    Absolutely, but I suppose the point I was trying (and failing! ) to make was when the clock measures a standard hour for an working hour, you don't know whether it's been light duties or getting the arse knocked out of it. I think the idea of the rev-related hours was to try and allow for this. But seeing as it seems most manufacturers have binned this in favour of a standard hour, it probably wasn't representative. But I'd agree that a tractor worked hard but looked after is probably going to be better than one that's had an easier life but been poorly maitained. When I worked on a mixed unit a few years ago, I used to service all the tractors and telehandlers on the farm and I kept a folder in the workshop and each machine had its own service/repair record, right down to every bulb that got replaced. I would happily buy a high hour tractor from somewhere like that.