Thread: Serious mechanical accident on Vaderstad Rapid 300CS (Do not do this below)

Serious mechanical accident on Vaderstad Rapid 300CS (Do not do this below)

I have just started doing some drilling for someone using there immaculate 10yr old Vaderstad Rapid 300cs drill. This morning I needed get some plastic string off of one of the press wheel spindle bearings. I folded the footboard up against the hopper to gain access to the wheel sppindle,I then let the drill down onto the discs,and then lifted the press wheels up off the ground so the wheels would turn, BUT when I lifted the wheels up, the footboard had PUSHED up into the hopper bottom forcing the sheet metal to bend as well as the box section across the hopper,the foot board bent up in two, very expensive and difficult to repair.

Re: Serious mechanical accident on Vaderstad Rapid 300CS (Do not do this below)

I didn't know you even could do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotty Dog View Post
    I didn't know you even could do this.

A good friend of mine who used to sell Vaderstad drills,has told me that he does not know how it happened,as he has never heard of anyone else doing it,I am really annoyed about it. At least be warned at my expense!!!

I'm can report that it is not possible on the newer ones. I have a 2010 and you cant fold the rear footboards up and make them stay up, you have to remove them. The front footboard however has a "locking" position... I guess they've made them "dummy-safe"...good for guys like me who ofter walk around with my head up my arse..

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    I'm can report that it is not possible on the newer ones. I have a 2010 and you cant fold the rear footboards up and make them stay up, you have to remove them. The front footboard however has a "locking" position... I guess they've made them "dummy-safe"...good for guys like me who ofter walk around with my head up my arse..

That makes two of us then. In all seriousness I have emailed Vaderstad territory manager and uk service manager explaining what I did and asked if anyone else has done the same thing with no reply,I am not happy about it. I can only assume that they know that this could happen on older machines and so it would not be in their interest to admit to the fault.
    Last edited by bonanza; 28-03-14 at 08:24 PM. Reason: adding more info