Thread: Vaderstad drill problem

Vaderstad drill problem

One of the marker rams on my 400s drill won't fold in properly most of the time, and on the return pass, when its supposed to be folded in, it slowly creeps out and drags on the ground. Getting quite annoying now, does anyone have any ideas ? i wondered if the internal ram seal had failed.

Re: Vaderstad drill problem

Had this on a co. After the dealer blaming the spools , tractor and anything else he could think of eventually found a priority valve (which in his words never go wrong) gone wrong!!!

Most likely ram seals. does it fold vertically or horizontally

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyjim View Post
    Most likely ram seals. does it fold vertically or horizontally
    Folds horizontaly. Rained off now so should really have a look at it tomorrow if i get time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotty Dog View Post
    One of the marker rams on my 400s drill won't fold in properly most of the time, and on the return pass, when its supposed to be folded in, it slowly creeps out and drags on the ground. Getting quite annoying now, does anyone have any ideas ? i wondered if the internal ram seal had failed.
    Had this same problem with my 400S and It was the ram seals. I would look into this asap as with me the marker soon started opening up with the drill in the folded up position and made a nice scrape down the seed hopper...

Took the ram off today and found the problem. The nut that holds the gland with all the seals attached had unscrewed itself from the rod and come off inside the ram ! Hence the gland was just sliding up and down inside the barrel. God knows how it was even working at all.
    Seals are a bit shot but its nice to find its just a simple fix.

Great news. Think i can count on one hand the amount of simple fixes i come across. Lol