Thread: New car problems

New car problems

Well, decided to go for the Van(from other thread VW Caddy), got it on Saturday and have done about 500 miles since then to try it out.

Have already discovered a problem that the seller failed to mention

Noticed when parked up a small drip coming from the underside at the back of the engine.
    Thought nothing of it, its an old car etc, when I got home it was still dripping, maybe 2 or 3 drips a minute.
    Had a look and the stuff is oily to touch and has a distinctive smell, would this be transmission oil?
    Now the strange part, its actually coming into the cab , in very small quantities, only knew because of the smell, Im assuming its traveling up the spedo cable, and dripping basically underneath the dashboard (under the stereo in front of the gear stick).

This guy lives a couple of hundred miles away so wanting to find out if its a cheap fix small problem or a big problem before I do anything else.

Will be taking it to garage tomorrow to find out but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions??

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers.

Re: New car problems

Very strange? Transmission overfilled. Causing oil to travel up the speedo cable like anarchemedes screw?

Its a strange one alright
    There was definitely oil dripping from underneath when it was idling and you can see where it has sprayed back along the underside of the car whilst ive been driving it.
    Probably need to get it on a ramp to see where its coming from

Possibly a blocked breather on the gearbox (if it IS gearbox oil). Allows pressure to build up in the box when hot which will blow out oil.

Could be that Pycoed.
    Have noticed the engine is cool whilst driving, but when sat idling will increase in temperature slightly, and only noticed the leak when the car was sat ticking over for a few mins whilst I was in the shop.
    If this is the case is it a big expensive job or fairly straight forward?

Thanks

just a thought could it power steering fluid? had a car leaked a wee bit from the steering rack its up behind engine it used atf fluid , it would drip occasionally kept the underside of the car rust proofed its red in colour and has a distinct smell I just used to keep an eye on the level and top up from time to time

Gopher,

If it's a blocked breather, your only trouble will be finding it! Once you know where it is (it'll be top of gearbox somewhere) it's just a matter of unscrewing & poking it about until it's clear. At worst a new one will only be a couple of quid. Do a search on one of the VW forums if it's a Caddy - based on a Golf? bound to find some info there.

Just been to the garage and had it on the ramp.
    There is a fair bit of gearbox oil leaking from it, don't know if a blocked breather would cause this much??
    Seems to be coming from around the speedometer cable/housing (don't know the name of it), but would have to have a right root around im sure to find exactly where its coming from.

Its obviously coming out whilst driving, whole underside is coated and definitely coming out when ticking over.

I'm at a loss as to what to do, short of getting my money back for the thing is it likely to be majorly expensive or just a case of labour costs finding the leak?

As I say any help much appreciated wanting to get this sorted sooner rather than later.

Cheers everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher View Post
    Just been to the garage and had it on the ramp.
    There is a fair bit of gearbox oil leaking from it, don't know if a blocked breather would cause this much??
    Seems to be coming from around the speedometer cable/housing (don't know the name of it), but would have to have a right root around im sure to find exactly where its coming from.

Its obviously coming out whilst driving, whole underside is coated and definitely coming out when ticking over.

I'm at a loss as to what to do, short of getting my money back for the thing is it likely to be majorly expensive or just a case of labour costs finding the leak?

As I say any help much appreciated wanting to get this sorted sooner rather than later.

Cheers everyone.
    Did you check the oil level when on the ramp? Could it be overfilled? The VAG 5 speed only hasabout 2 inches oil in the bottom. Level plug (17mm hex or 14mm torx) will be on front about two to three inches from bottom.
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

Wouldn't have thought its been overfilled, hasn't been serviced for a few thousand miles.
    Basically the van has sat for a couple of years doing very little, just pottering about to shops and back.
    I done a good few hundred miles in it at the weekend and this problem has arisen.
    It was not leaking oil when I bought it, was bone dry underneath. Think its just happened over weekend as it has been doing a lot of miles.