Thread: very ill lamb

very ill lamb

Evening all, had a very poorly 2 week old lamb outside today so bought him back in, he was quite alert but in alot of discomfort and pain (sighing with every breath) slightly fast breathing than normal, he had slightly bloated belly but I've seen way worse and seemed tender to touch on his sides,

Anyway poor soul died in front of me whilst i was still deciding what to do with him, took a deep breath an stopped breathing bit of kicking etc and he was gone!

Any ideas what mite of been wrong with him am curious as never had one like this before!!

Thanks in advance H-C

Re: very ill lamb

Quote Originally Posted by hummin-cummins View Post
    Evening all, had a very poorly 2 week old lamb outside today so bought him back in, he was quite alert but in alot of discomfort and pain (sighing with every breath) slightly fast breathing than normal, he had slightly bloated belly but I've seen way worse and seemed tender to touch on his sides,

Anyway poor soul died in front of me whilst i was still deciding what to do with him, took a deep breath an stopped breathing bit of kicking etc and he was gone!

Any ideas what mite of been wrong with him am curious as never had one like this before!!

Thanks in advance H-C
    Twisted gut?

Maybe it hadn't shat. Some lambs can go a long time.

I put my money on e-coli infection. I do not think you get the watery mouth in the older lambs but outcome is the same.

Are they vaccinated for clostridian diseases (Heptavac type vaccine).

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse1 View Post
    I put my money on e-coli infection. I do not think you get the watery mouth in the older lambs but outcome is the same.

His mouth was watery a bit like watery mouth but thought a lamb that age wouldn't get it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post
    Are they vaccinated for clostridian diseases (Heptavac type vaccine).

No unfortunately!

In that case I would consider a PM to check for pulpy kidney especially if you have another one. You can do it yourself easy enough once someone has shown you what to look for. After restocking following FMD I tried a year without vaccine. I lost about 8-10 of the best lambs to PK after a few weeks. I have been a religious user of Heptavac type vaccine ever since.