Thread: A salutary lesson.

A salutary lesson.

Last week we had a thunderstorm. At one stage the electric went off, for a nanosecond. But it must have surged when it came back on because it fried my Netgear router. Not completely, the wifi is still there and so the iPad and a laptop still work. But anything hard wired to it doesn't. This means that two PCs, the booster box for the mobile 'phone. and the booster aerial for the wifi are not working until I install the new router

So I have had to buy a new router and because I wanted one with internal aerials for the wifi, USB ports etc. it wasn't cheap. And there is the possibility that although no PCs were switched on it may have fried my network cards.

I have now bought some surge protectors (better late than never ! ). It might have been better to go for an uninterrupted power supply but I have yet to research those.

The moral of this story is to install surge protectors on the power side of any IT kit.

On the same day that this happened I was on my back under a machine in the workshop and rolled over and smashed my 'phone. It was just one of those days !

Re: A salutary lesson.

I think something similar has happened to me, and my father next door.
    I am bordering on fitting a new sim to my dongle and giving up on the broadband. Currently got a download speed of 0.06Mbps

I suspect the damaging voltage is more likely to have come down the phone line.
    That's happened twice here, first time in dial-up days the back of the PC was sooty but only the modem was damaged.
    Second time it damaged the router and the ethernet connection to one PC, wireless was still OK and with a wifi dongle the computer is still usable.
    You can get a surge protector for the phone line too.

Here we rarely have a thunderstorm go through without the power tripping off for a few seconds from at least one strike (or induced voltage in the lines)
    It would appear this is almost instantaneous so as to protect devices attached.
    There's no such protection on the phone lines.

Sounds like it would be a good idea to get a surge protector for the 'phone as well. Thanks 4wd.

We had a bad experience similar to this in a thunderstorm 4 years ago now.

The lightening actually hit the top of the chimney and shattered and then must have travelled down the phone line in the roof space because the main phone socket was badly cracked and hanging out from the wall, and the filter for the broadband line was in pieces. Also fried the main desktop pc and two laptops and an xbox 360.

Surge protectors where brought quite soon after.

In our case the phone line strike was at least half a mile away.

Can someone point me to an appropriate device for surge protection? I assume this fits in the wall between the phone line and the router or is it between each device connected to an ethernet port?

get a mains surge protection with a phone line in/out on it as well
    line from wall phone socket to surge protection then out to modem ,if the filter is built in to the wall socket you wont be able to protect it there but if it is plug in it can be after the surge protection.
    not sure about netgear but belkin do them and draper do as well

Would using a wire from the phone socket to a surge protector slow the internet speed any? Only I was told to plug the router direct to the main phone in socket for maximum speed.

I have one of these now, not sure how effective compared to more expensive ones, no slowdown noticed.
    If you're about it must be advisable to unplug the main phone socket if it's thundery.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telephone-...-/260971329731

It's very difficult to generalise about whether fitting a surge protector will have any effect on download speeds: almost every phone installation is different, and there are lots of ways of designing surge protectors as well. However, while it will probably be possible to see a slight reduction in many cases, it's unlikely to be large with current router designs. Well worth a "try it and see" test.

If the phone line catches a full strike, it's unlikely a surge protector will deal with it, but we're talking about very low probabilities here. Laptops running off batteries, even with the charger plugged in, are UNLIKELY to be damaged by mains surges, and I wouldn't bother with fitting any extra protection, though I would for a desktop. The same caveat exists that if there's a really bad surge, some damage is still likely to both cases, but again the chances of that are small.

Update from OP.

Well we are getting there !

Firstly I bought this. http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/produc...ers/d6300.aspx Principally because my Son has the same and he can use Teamviewer to take over my system if something needs tweakiing anytime.

Then I discovered that although the new router has 3 internal aerials the wifi wasn't as good as it was with the old router and a booster aerial. So I had to buy this !!! http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=239&model=TL-WA801ND

I was pleased to find that my network card was O.K. on my main desktop but it is fried on my standby desktop and it is a very old machine running XP and the card is an ISA card so I may have a job finding a decent one.

I do have an issue with the router insofar as it freaks out when I go into one of my bank accounts. I think it just needs a bit of WD40 somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post

I do have an issue with the router insofar as it freaks out when I go into one of my bank accounts. I think it just needs a bit of WD40 somewhere.
    WD which, Router or Bank????

ff