Thread: "best" small/compact handler/telehandler type machine?, Avant type perhaps

"best" small/compact handler/telehandler type machine?, Avant type perhaps

Apologies all, for jumping in with a question after quite an absence.
    Not a farmer at all, so I dont imagine I need an Ag type telehandler.
    But wishing to handles logs and firewood, plus spoil/topsoil, and moving "stuff" about.
    Also wish to "bulldoze" the occassional load of hardcore, to allow furthur tipping, until it is worthwhile hiring a digger in.
    About 1 tonne payload would be OK, and requires fat tyres as we are in Moss.
    I have borrowed a 640 Avant from work.
    And also a 3720 John Deere with a loader/fork toes. An absolute "quart in a pint Pot" btw.
    Bound to be sommat in the JCB stable, not to mention Kramer/Widerman stuff.
    Or a Buggyscopic from Manitou?
    Prob prefer to spend 10,000 to 12,000 on sommat 1/2 decent.
    Regards,
    Marcus

Re: "best" small/compact handler/telehandler type machine?, Avant type perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldogg View Post
    Apologies all, for jumping in with a question after quite an absence.
    Not a farmer at all, so I dont imagine I need an Ag type telehandler.
    But wishing to handles logs and firewood, plus spoil/topsoil, and moving "stuff" about.
    Also wish to "bulldoze" the occassional load of hardcore, to allow furthur tipping, until it is worthwhile hiring a digger in.
    About 1 tonne payload would be OK, and requires fat tyres as we are in Moss.
    I have borrowed a 640 Avant from work.
    And also a 3720 John Deere with a loader/fork toes. An absolute "quart in a pint Pot" btw.
    Bound to be sommat in the JCB stable, not to mention Kramer/Widerman stuff.
    Or a Buggyscopic from Manitou?
    Prob prefer to spend 10,000 to 12,000 on sommat 1/2 decent.
    Regards,
    Marcus
    Buggiescopic are useless on soft ground. Far to heavy on the back and no ground clearance they just sink.
    A pivot steer loader like a weidermann or schaffer etc would be good for soft gound. What about a jcb 2cx airmaster instead? Or the sitemaster? Get a decent one for that money i expect.

Something like this might do your job .
    http://www.jaswinbank.com/displayVeh...-50%20loadall&

There's a gehl 240 pivot on eBay don't know how to bring link up sorry

Thanks all, that comment above about avoiding the Buggyscopic, due to being tail heavy with poor ground clearance.
    Is exactly why I posted the question on here.
    Because for sensible, useful, well informed (and by-times humerous) answers this forum is simply the best.
    regards,
    Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by Manfromhill View Post
    There's a gehl 240 pivot on eBay don't know how to bring link up sorry
    Here's a short you tube clip explaining how to do it, ready for next time

ff

Bow down and worship
    http://www.uk.wackerneuson.com/en/pr.../th-412-1.html
    Complete with fat tyres and the option of 3 point linkage and 540 PTO

Just need to find an affordable second hand one

That's probably telling you that what you really should buy is a 520 JCB, which you WILL find secondhand!

Marcus,

How about something like this 407B JCB, hydrostatic, 4 cyl Perkins, built like a tank and very maneuverable..this one cost 10k.

The earlier 406 & 407s were made from about 1988-94 they are very good too, a bit more lightweight and have torque converters. I've a 406 (3 cyl) (on large 405/28s) that I bought new in 1988 used it everyday for 25 years and still going strong.. fantastic little machines..

Mike

Dieseldogg. It's a bloody good job you didn't visit Agritechnika this year. There were hundreds of small handlers like that one on display. Just seems that UK Agriculture is too big for such machines and we never get them at dealers or shows to even consider. Saying that, Ted Hopkins in Brecon have a mini Manitou which would be more than enough for many smaller farms/jobs. Just expensive new when stacked against a full-size machine.

Talking Re: "best" small/compact handler/telehandler type machine?, Avant type perhaps

(i)wrsni dammn you! (for that very sensible advice)
    "That's probably telling you that what you really should buy is a 520 JCB, which you WILL find secondhand!"

(ii) Mog,
    thank you, will make it to the "Agriteckni show" before I die.

(iii) Wellington03,
    just plain thanks, for a very useful "lead" as kinda hard to get info on superceeded models from any manufacturer.

cheers

marcus