Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Virus alert

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    377

    Virus alert

    I'm probably weeks behind on this one but just a warning. I have just received an email from "gateway.confirmation@gateway.gov.uk" it all looks very pucka with reference numbers for a submission which has been made but not processed with an instruction to check the attachment for more details. Only thing is I haven't been on .gov.uk for a while. A quick google search shows this as a known scam and the attachment contains exe virus or a trojan. Be warned .

  2. #2
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,396

    Re: Virus alert

    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    I'm probably weeks behind on this one but just a warning. I have just received an email from "gateway.confirmation@gateway.gov.uk" it all looks very pucka with reference numbers for a submission which has been made but not processed with an instruction to check the attachment for more details. Only thing is I haven't been on .gov.uk for a while. A quick google search shows this as a known scam and the attachment contains exe virus or a trojan. Be warned .
    Anything like that, look at the attachment, if the file name ends in .zip - don't touch it with a bargepole, zip files will open up when clicked and may range from an innocent advert to a demand for money to remove some bug/virus etc that you suddenly have "aqquired"


    ff

  3. #3
    Senior Member 4wd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North York Moors
    Posts
    1,277

    Re: Virus alert

    In Outlook or similar programs, if you move an email (unopened, just drag it) to the junk mail folder, any auto-exe functions are disabled so you can safely open it to check properly if there's a chance it could be genuine.
    Any links will be shown as html not hidden in some way. Clicking a link in an unsolicited email is almost as risky as opening an attachment in it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Sam_TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cleveland. UK
    Posts
    582

    Re: Virus alert

    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    I'm probably weeks behind on this one but just a warning. I have just received an email from "gateway.confirmation@gateway.gov.uk" it all looks very pucka with reference numbers for a submission which has been made but not processed with an instruction to check the attachment for more details. Only thing is I haven't been on .gov.uk for a while. A quick google search shows this as a known scam and the attachment contains exe virus or a trojan. Be warned .
    In Gmail (not sure if same in other email programmes) if you hover your mouse over the senders name in the 'unopened' email, you can 'see' the actual email address that it's from.
    I had a similar gateway.comfirmation email last week (that was auto sent to my Gmail Spam folder) that was actually from 6ZHY4ER7UZ3NSWM9B5TVCIJF6N7Y4WO0@gateway.gov.local

    I don't know if you can get viruses by opening these emails, but I always bin any email that I'm not expecting or don't recognise, without opening it.
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    64

    Re: Virus alert

    Just remember that the way Windows (& dos) asign and reasign disk space means that when you "delete" anything it does not do that it just asigns that set of disk sectors as being ok to right over so they could contain crap for quite som time. Better to run a proper purger like Eraser.
    Better still if you want to risk "playing" with risky files then do it in a purely ram bassed operating system like Puppy Linux, then just pull the plug at the end.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bald Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Anglesey
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Virus alert

    Quote Originally Posted by hillsider69 View Post
    Just remember that the way Windows (& dos) asign and reasign disk space means that when you "delete" anything it does not do that it just asigns that set of disk sectors as being ok to right over so they could contain crap for quite som time. Better to run a proper purger like Eraser.
    Better still if you want to risk "playing" with risky files then do it in a purely ram bassed operating system like Puppy Linux, then just pull the plug at the end.
    TBH, I didn't understand much of that ...........

    But I am not going to get a virus if I delete unopened email am I?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    377

    Re: Virus alert

    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    TBH, I didn't understand much of that ...........

    But I am not going to get a virus if I delete unopened email am I?
    I am not an expert but from what I am told you should be ok so long as you delete the message before opening it. The virus (or trojan) is usually in the attachment. I am very cautious of any email I am not expecting and never open an attachment from an unknown source.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,396

    Re: Virus alert

    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    I am not an expert but from what I am told you should be ok so long as you delete the message before opening it. The virus (or trojan) is usually in the attachment. I am very cautious of any email I am not expecting and never open an attachment from an unknown source.
    Best to be cautious, if its not expected, not addressed to you, vague, addressed to multiple recipients or has an attachment then be wary, again, if you look at the attachment (sometimes you may have to put the mouse pointer/cursor on it) the file name will end with a . and 3 letters, if they are- zip then you may well have an executable file, or in english a file that when clicked will carry out its programmed task, normally zip files are compact program/data files that you are expecting and install an upgrade or something you have asked for, Nowadays its all too common for your email address to be sold on to a someone who sends you innocent adverts or plugs, but all too often it turns out to be a nasty bit of computer code that if you click it will install some for of spam,malware, virus or ransomware.

    Just be wary of any emails that are unexpected or look suspicious.

  9. #9
    Senior Member T P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk
    Posts
    625

    Re: Virus alert

    There are a myriad of scams on the go to suck the unsuspecting in, take a very careful look at any emails you think you get from paypal before you navigate to the link. I have had two in recent weeks that look 100% legit other than the website has an extra "e" in the middle of the web address. If you log in by the link or the pop up preview they will harvest your username and password and your account will be cleaned out. Fortunately I spotted it, there are very interesting offers in the preview to entice you to look at their version of the paypal site and it looks EXACTLY like the legit one.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    341

    Re: Virus alert

    I always log into paypal via my my places tab never from a link in an email.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    64

    Re: Virus alert

    The point I was trying to make it two fold. You can keep mail on line and open it in a web browser (eg gmail) or you can down load it say with outlook, assuming that you use windowz. If you download it and then delete it there are two copies to be deleted, one on the ISP's main server and one on your machine and windowz is not smart so when you say "delete" it just says OK, I'll write over that bit sometime when I feel like it and because windows works by shoving things in bits all over the place it may get left for quite some time.
    Running defrag and purging white space is needed and will also make your pc run rather than walk. Should be done at least once per week!

    e.g. http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleane...ree-disk-space

  12. #12
    Senior Member v12cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    418

    Re: Virus alert

    Quote Originally Posted by hillsider69 View Post
    Just remember that the way Windows (& dos) asign and reasign disk space means that when you "delete" anything it does not do that it just asigns that set of disk sectors as being ok to right over so they could contain crap for quite som time. Better to run a proper purger like Eraser.
    Better still if you want to risk "playing" with risky files then do it in a purely ram bassed operating system like Puppy Linux, then just pull the plug at the end.
    .......after that lightning quick experience the windows user will realise that the virus on their PC is in fact the operating system.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Virus alert

    Quote Originally Posted by v12cat View Post
    .......after that lightning quick experience the windows user will realise that the virus on their PC is in fact the operating system.
    The key is 'RAM based'. You can't compare an operating system purely living in RAM vs hard drive based operating system, they don't and can't do the same jobs.

    You are another of these anti-windows fetishists, not sure why. I can only surmise that you have spent a lot of money on a Mac, when in fact you could have bought a rip-roaring PC for the same money.

    Macs are a bit like Audi TTs. The product of choice for people who know little or nothing about cars.

    Having come through the ranks since Windows 3.1 I can tell you W7 is a revelation and so streamlined its hilarious. The reason Windows based PCs tend to be slow isn't because they are running windows but rather because the hardware involved is not first rate.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    767

    Re: Virus alert

    Quote Originally Posted by v12cat View Post
    .......after that lightning quick experience the windows user will realise that the virus on their PC is in fact the operating system.


    JV

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Shrops/Staffs/Cheshire borders
    Posts
    296

    Re: Virus alert

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Having come through the ranks since Windows 3.1 I can tell you W7 is a revelation and so streamlined its hilarious.
    And ... your thoughts on Win8?


  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Virus alert

    Quote Originally Posted by J B View Post
    And ... your thoughts on Win8?

    Not sure what they were thinking but it is the UI in W8 which was the problem for most users. As an actual operating system per se It is probably an improvement but I can't use it because it isn't compatible with all software (like OSx!). Apparently a sorted installation of W8 is better than W7 in some ways, but I can't say much more because my personal experience of W8 is limited to very light use only.

    Not all windows versions are any good mind! Windows Vistaarrgghhh!!!! but you can say the same of most software, over time they patch flaws and make improvements. It is no good slating one brand name of product on the basis that earlier or later versions were bad.

    It is just the same with products like Norton, which in earlier iterations were an absolute nightmare, but these days are pretty much sorted. Look at AVG mind, started good, and turned into a real sod of a thing. Luckily other people developed other replacements.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    16

    Re: Virus alert

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Having come through the ranks since Windows 3.1 I can tell you W7 is a revelation and so streamlined its hilarious. The reason Windows based PCs tend to be slow isn't because they are running windows but rather because the hardware involved is not first rate.
    Windows 8.1 is the worst operating system yet devised, it is so "Flaky" to be almost unusable. I now nearly dread opening the laptop wondering what it's going to throw at me this time. (My laptop is a fairly new Sony Vaio)

    I saw a headline the other day stating "Microsoft has broken Windows with 8.1"! How true.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    64

    Re: Virus alert

    My comments were not intended to start some sort of anti windows war, just to point out that there are other operating systems around and like cars or motors vehicles generally, they mostly have their place.


    Windows did without doubt bring the PC to a wider audience with its not very good copy of the unix graphical user interface that had been around on “big systems” before that. The problem is that has until recently been built up layer after layer on a simple base and that has made it bloated for what it does but luckily hardware has kept up.



    I've used quite a few systems, starting on an Elliott 803 with 20Kb of memory running Algol 60. back in the mid '60s. By today’s prices that would be the cost of a London house, and be crap.

    Then in the early 80's we made our own machines running CPM, Zsystem, Drdos or MSDos or the Russian Military PCDos, still the most robust OS and I still use it for some jobs. They all had or have their place but THE VAST MAJORITY of people did not have the time or skills to manage to use them, so lets just be thankful that we have the modern systems we do have! Sadly from comments here it looks like MS has gone too far.



    Most OS's can do far more than most people need or have a clue about and a unix based ram resident OS can start in a couple of seconds and do all you NORMALLY need and quite happily do so on a “scrap” 500Mhz single core processor with ½ Gb or less: but you may need to be a little bit more savvy to drive it at first; just a short learning curve.


    So you donot need to have an expensive MAC or “top rate” hardware for normal use, unless you are doing say vast image processing. So as a long term computer user (emailing first in 1974), just use what you need and can use! KEEP IT CLEANED. L assume that you would clean the crap out of your tractor radiator, well do it with your pc as well!


    Oh and I still use windows, just for my accounts program that dates back to 1988 (ran on DRdos at first) and Irfanview.


    Regarding XP “closing down”. I was at an meeting last week with a guy from the Forestry Commission who could not open a docx file because the FC still used Win97!


    And if you want a knock at MAC's (and I used the first in the UK back in 1975 and built it into kit as a data logger) They have some nice looking kit, electroniclly run too hard, do not expect them to last more than 4 years and run a poor copy of unix as its OS.

  19. #19
    Senior Member v12cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    418

    Re: Virus alert

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    The key is 'RAM based'. You can't compare an operating system purely living in RAM vs hard drive based operating system, they don't and can't do the same jobs.

    You are another of these anti-windows fetishists, not sure why. I can only surmise that you have spent a lot of money on a Mac, when in fact you could have bought a rip-roaring PC for the same money.

    Macs are a bit like Audi TTs. The product of choice for people who know little or nothing about cars.

    Having come through the ranks since Windows 3.1 I can tell you W7 is a revelation and so streamlined its hilarious. The reason Windows based PCs tend to be slow isn't because they are running windows but rather because the hardware involved is not first rate.
    I've used M$ OS's since DOS 3.1.

    I don't have an 'anti' anything fetish, BUT tell me why a computer designed to run XP, bought with XP and ran XP fine, will now be basically unusable running the same XP OS? I have numerous machines that fall into that category thanks to M$'s 'security updates' and 'enhancements'. The software is HUGELY bloated and basically serves no better purpose than it did 10 years ago.

    Windows is popular by default and for no other reason. If all present OS's were launched today and priced as they are, most people with any brains would fall about laughing at M$'s offerings.

    Your Audi TT analogy is quite frankly just as relevant pointed at MS.

    BTW, I can't comment on a MAC's OS having never owned one.

    Posted on a PC that struggles to run XP but is faster (and more secure) than most much newer machines.

    Running Opensuse 12.3.


    PS.... I have Puppy Linux on a very good quality but old Toshiba Libretto U100 (that was designed to run XP but simply won't run it at all now). It is VERY VERY fast. Yes, it runs in RAM (512Mb on the Tosh'), which it can because it is so free of unnecessary garbage.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Virus alert

    Quote Originally Posted by v12cat View Post
    I've used M$ OS's since DOS 3.1.

    I don't have an 'anti' anything fetish, BUT tell me why a computer designed to run XP, bought with XP and ran XP fine, will now be basically unusable running the same XP OS? I have numerous machines that fall into that category thanks to M$'s 'security updates' and 'enhancements'. The software is HUGELY bloated and basically serves no better purpose than it did 10 years ago.

    Windows is popular by default and for no other reason. If all present OS's were launched today and priced as they are, most people with any brains would fall about laughing at M$'s offerings.

    Your Audi TT analogy is quite frankly just as relevant pointed at MS.

    BTW, I can't comment on a MAC's OS having never owned one.

    Posted on a PC that struggles to run XP but is faster (and more secure) than most much newer machines.

    Running Opensuse 12.3.


    PS.... I have Puppy Linux on a very good quality but old Toshiba Libretto U100 (that was designed to run XP but simply won't run it at all now). It is VERY VERY fast. Yes, it runs in RAM (512Mb on the Tosh'), which it can because it is so free of unnecessary garbage.
    I have no clue why Windows XP is even being mentioned, but I managed to run it ok on a pretty ancient PC and it was as good when I first started with it as the day I left it, trick is keeping the thing from accumulating so much every-day detritus, although its an old operating system now anyway. Good for a time but long since outdated. In fact a lot of modern hardware won't work it, and a lot of software won't these days either, so there is every reason to upgrade.

    Yes no doubt you have 'more secure' operating systems available but only because no one has yet bothered to write malicious software for them or attempted to bypass their security as yet, but in time they will, and it will be made more public. The whole reason windows has so much malicious code thrown at it is because so many PCs run it- a much much larger pie for unsavory parties to target. As the spread of devices and PCs running different operating systems grows, more and more people will generate more and more ideas about how to break into them, all software developers can do is constantly patch their products in an ever increasing arms race with the hackers.

    Anyone who has come from DOS or the very early versions of Windows will appreciate how good W7 is. I don't know why you are complaining about Windows XP- to claim all MS products are crap because they make too much money or everyone has them or an earlier version was crap is a bit daft really. If Windows XP is crap and insecure, then use something else?

    PCs are now so cheap that I don't know why so many people persist in running old crap. The bits inside the average consumer computer are not 100% reliable and never were or will be. MS aren't even supporting older versions of windows and nor are other software developers so that pretty much has canned them. Apple have done exactly the same too, no one bothers with the cost or complexity of supporting legacy equipment or software.

    Looking at W8 I would suggest that the reason its UI is so different is because MS want to make the Windows platform share a high degree of commonality (at least at first glance) between devices, so users have a familiar screen on their xbox, phone, tablet or PC, which in that context makes sense. Whether we will all eventually abandon keyboards in favour of touch screens and voice commands (as in Xbox Kinect) we will wait and see.

    I love Iphones and always have, but there is no way I would pay the prices they want for laptops or PCs with an apple on. Its a very expensive shiny box with the same bits inside and a price tag near double what it should be. All that and it still won't run everything I want anyway so its dead in the water, the downsides of windows are far outweighed in my view by the fact that it is now so universally compatible with the software and hardware I have.

    Also I am a fan of Dos in some ways; I was forced to learn its myriad ways in the days of Windows 95, as games just wouldn't run under windows well at all. Dos wasn't so bad really, it was a logical step away from Commodore 64s and Amigas so I was used to having to type on a screen to do anything!!

  21. #21
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,396

    Re: Virus alert

    Quote Originally Posted by JVP View Post
    Windows 8.1 is the worst operating system yet devised, it is so "Flaky" to be almost unusable. I now nearly dread opening the laptop wondering what it's going to throw at me this time. (My laptop is a fairly new Sony Vaio)

    I saw a headline the other day stating "Microsoft has broken Windows with 8.1"! How true.

    Sony recently announced they are quitting PC's & laptop's to concentrate on tablets in the future



    ff

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    341

    Re: Virus alert

    I am in a minority as I have windows 8 on my desktop and after the first three weeks of swearing at it I now can live with it. I did not set out to get windows 8 but I grabbed a bargain computer when Comet was shutting shop, the last one in the shop at way less than half price, too good to miss. My 8 year old laptop has windows xp and if I change its os it would have to be linux as there is not the capacity to run any other version of windows. One reason I have not changed its os is partly due to the stress of learning/setting up windows 8, the other is I cannot be bothered at the moment and it will happen when it has to.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    64

    Re: Virus alert

    Barney
    You could set up your old laptop to dual boot linux so when you turn it on it comes up with a screen that offers linux or windows and then you can play with linux as and when you want without the trauma of a complete change.
    For a machine that old I would think that Lubuntu would be a good start, I run it on a laptop that age with a 500Mhz cpu and 512Kb memory with NO issues at all. Its just the same as the popular and well supported Ubuntu but has a as less fancy graphic system and is thus less demanding on hardware.
    You can down load it and blow an iso cd then run it from the cd before installing it, at it does most of the work when installing.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    341

    Re: Virus alert

    Thanks I will download and burn to cd. Never thought of Lubuntu.

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    7

    Re: Virus alert

    I'm also weeks behind, but I view unsolicited emails rather like the chaps who stroll uninvited, unannounced and unwanted onto your farm. When was the last time one of them came for your benefit rather than theirs?

    Can't help thinking of the suit who said "I'm from the Government, and I am here to help you".

    Bin anything you do not recognise. you already have far too many emails anyway. Like not answering the telephone, they will call again if it is important. If they complain about not getting a reply first time, tell them to go back to the old fashioned methods and use snail mail to start their relationship.

    Heigh Ho! The Ice has finally melted here in Montreal on the St Lawrence!!

  26. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    64

    Re: Virus alert

    Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Thanks I will download and burn to cd. Never thought of Lubuntu.
    Its more or less the same but has the LXDE graphics that to my mind look cleaner and less glitzy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •