Thread: fertiliser question

fertiliser question

After sowing the fertiliser for growing grass there is a delay before cutting the silage. I have read here that its the number of units of nitrogen sown and to allow one day per unit so if thats right is this correct??

Eg 25/5/5 at 2 bags to the acre (100kg) am I right thinking thats 50 units and therefore allow a minimum of 50 days before cutting same for 18/6/12 at 3 bags to the acre (150kg) that would be 54 units eg 54 days or am I completely off the mark!

Re: fertiliser question

Quote Originally Posted by 885mac View Post
    After sowing the fertiliser for growing grass there is a delay before cutting the silage. I have read here that its the number of units of nitrogen sown and to allow one day per unit so if thats right is this correct??

Eg 25/5/5 at 2 bags to the acre (100kg) am I right thinking thats 50 units and therefore allow a minimum of 50 days before cutting same for 18/6/12 at 3 bags to the acre (150kg) that would be 54 units eg 54 days or am I completely off the mark!
    your closeenough

most allow 1.5 units per day usage,but thats under ideal growing conditions

David thanks for that I'm sure theres no such thing these days as ideal growing conditions however at 1.5 that would reduce the waiting to cut time by a third then wouldnt it reducing the 50 days to 35 days etc which is a considerable reduction

Quote Originally Posted by 885mac View Post
    David thanks for that I'm sure theres no such thing these days as ideal growing conditions however at 1.5 that would reduce the waiting to cut time by a third then wouldnt it reducing the 50 days to 35 days etc which is a considerable reduction
    I perfect warm conditions grass will use 2units a day but looking at your location now i would say its cooler so 1.5 would be better for you

David thanks again that leaves it easier to deal with as I ended up last year cutting 8 weeks after sowing which was 56 days! So even at 6 weeks with good weather it would be good to go and a little time if the weather is poor as well as that it leaves me getting the second cut earlier and not early sept like last year!!