Thread: Bore Well Limescale

Bore Well Limescale

A few months ago we had our bore water tested and due to problems with limescale we got our local firm to install kit based on our water test. Our man issue was limescale buildup in heater tanks, kettle etc.

The firm said they would install a Eco-mix unit to solve all our problems including limescale.

Two months on now and we still have serious limescale issues but the water is softer etc. It appears this unit( large blue tank) has nothing to do with limescale.

Can I ask what you guys have installed to tackle limescale? Immersion heater elements will soon die on us at the rate of limescale buildup.

Re: Bore Well Limescale

When we first moved to our place in 2002, I stripped out all the plumbing as I guessed that the high levels of dissolved limestone in the water from our borehole (sunk into the Lincolnshire Limestone Aquifer), would have taken its toll.

I kid you not, everything was full of limescale and the immersion heater element was half buried in the stuff which filled a quarter of the hot water tank.

Not wanting to go through a regular regime of having to clean pipes with an acid flush and replace heater elements every year or so, I researched the subject thoroughly and opted to install a water softener that supplied softened water to every tap, storage tank and appliance connection in the house with only the cold water tap in the kitchen not being treated.

I ensure the softener goes through a regeneration cycle twice as often as it would normally do, use a resin bead cleaning solution every three months and change the resin beads every five years.

The immersion heater element is still working after 12 years continuous use and the heating elements in the dishwasher and washing machine are clean and free of limescale.

Just as a matter of interest our untreated borehole water tests as 360ppm which is classified as "very hard".

Incidentally, we use a Brita filter on the untreated water we use for drinking and cooking veg, rice, etc purely as a precaution, as I have a familial risk of forming kidney and bladder stones and touch wood, no sign of any stones so far!

We've been using a Brita filter jug for 3-4 years.The Rayburn kettle used to get green limescale ,but now it is beige.

The well water is quite aggressive , eating copper inserts and compression rings.

The water pH is very slightly under 7 according to fish tank test kit.

Thanks for the above.

What are these resin beads and resin solution you mention?

We have a tall blue divers like tank which does some sort of cycle flush every two days or something. Beside it is a plastic box container which we fill with salt cubes. The guy said we need to top it up every 3 weeks or so but its been nearly 9 weeks now and still ok for salt. The water goes from the blue tall tank to a filter which removes any grit etc before going to our house and a supply to our heater tanks in our milking dairy.

Our water test said it was very hard and high in manganese which this tank was supposed to fix including the limescale. The guy that fitted it didn't seem like someone that new what he was doing when trying to program the tank, he was on and off the phone when trying to set it up. I don't know if its not programmed right or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Hammond View Post
    Thanks for the above.

What are these resin beads and resin solution you mention?

We have a tall blue divers like tank which does some sort of cycle flush every two days or something. Beside it is a plastic box container which we fill with salt cubes. The guy said we need to top it up every 3 weeks or so but its been nearly 9 weeks now and still ok for salt. The water goes from the blue tall tank to a filter which removes any grit etc before going to our house and a supply to our heater tanks in our milking dairy.

Our water test said it was very hard and high in manganese which this tank was supposed to fix including the limescale. The guy that fitted it didn't seem like someone that new what he was doing when trying to program the tank, he was on and off the phone when trying to set it up. I don't know if its not programmed right or not.
    What you describe is a water softner, but by the sounds of it its not set up right. Our borehole produces water with a hardness factor of 540ppm and I now soften all the water used in the parlour even the washdown water, and all water except one drinking tap in the house, I buy salt by the ton pallet as we get through about 450kgs/month.

Softners aren't difficult to set up, you need to know the quantity of water you use/day, the hardness of the water and the peak flow rate possible through the softner (governed by its supply pipe size and pressure), and I suspect you can find the manual for it via google and it will tell you how to set the parameters. If in doubt, ring the manufacturers up and ask them to either tell you what to do or give you a recommended engineer. Inside the blue vessel is the resin beads, the sodium chloride (salt) adheres to these during its regeneration cycle and when the water passes through it binds to the calcium to form calcium chloride (if my memory serves correctly you are supposed to be able to , which is why you are supposed to be able to safely drink softened water, but in me experience it tastes horrid so we always have a fresh supply for drinking!) which is not limescale (calcium carbonate) so will not produce the limescale effects. The resin beads need cleaning and regenerating at set intervals, ours does it every other day but we have a huge resin vessel for the high flow of water (40mm pipe at 5bar = 220litres/minute) it is the flow that governs the size of resin vessel, and water usage which dictates its frequency of regeneration and hardness which governs the level of salt used to regenerate the softner.

I use a independent chap, he supplies, I fit with his instruction, very very good, always very helpful and will know exactly what you need and is always looking for the cheapest effective route and not into selling you lots of wizzardy you just don't need or want. He is Phillip Franics from UK Pump Supplies and his number is 01761 534355, leave a message if he doesn't answer, he's a one man band so if he's in the stockroom the phone doesn't get answered.

I hope all that makes sense and helps. But in my mind a softner won't do anything to help your manganese problems.

Reggie what part of the province are you from and would you like to name the company that supplied your equipment? ?

If you have serious lime scale it can take months for a softener to remove it.
    the water will be soft immediately but to remove scale takes time depending on how long it has been allowed to build up.

i would strongly recommend you base purchasing decisions on
    siting and salt type
    always use a softener which uses granular salt, the other types are 2 - 4 times more expensive to run
    place it where. It is easy to keep an eye on and to load ie in the garage not the loft

softeners are relatively cheap to buy and install but the people who do it are often rogues who sell double glazing as a second trade
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Our kettle keeps getting covered in white limescale and you would think you had egg shells in your mug of tea. When you scrub it clean, its white again a week later. There is a manual somewhere for this softner and I think I might have the water testing results somewhere also. I'll see if I can figure this out.

Have you added any salt?
    does the unit Use salt
    if not you have been conned into an electrolitic lime prevention unit
    they do work in certain circumstances, but they do not soften water
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Get yourself a test kit, I use these http://www.ibhs.co.uk/Water-Treatmen...p-157-252-712/ they are dead simple. You can get them from screwfix as well but they are twice the price.
    Drop a tablet in a test tube of water or if you are as tight as me half a tablet in half full test tube. if it turns green the water softner is working if it turns red it isn't couldn't be much simpler.
    I check ours every couple of days when we are using it. if we get a red result it is often down to the booster pump not working as there needs to be a certain pressure to make the back wash/ brine rinse of the resin beads work. Normally do another regeneration cycle and it is fine.

Like I said already, the unit uses salt from the salt box beside it.

There is a sticker on the side of the tank that states the following:

Iron Manganese Unit Ecomix A 1054VC\W Volumetric Control Valve

Thanks for the link to the testing kit.