Thread: Which direct drill and which reseeding method to use?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which direct drill and which reseeding method to use?

I've got chance of using a Erth agri seeder or a guttler greenmaster to drill some grass seed. My question is is it possible to get 1st cut off a field then drill day after or will the current ley grow back too fast and smother the new seeds?
    Last time I ploughed this field it was full of stone so that's out the question but can I get away without using roundup and can I get a big crop of grass off it this season or should I have reseeded last autumn? I've plenty of sheep so could I take first cut off, then drill it and stick sheep in until new seeds are through then shut field up for 2nd cut?

Re: Which direct drill and which reseeding method to use?

Hi. I did 25acres this way in August 2013 waited until after 2nd cut was taken off so that main growth was past. I let it grow a little then stocked heavy with dry ewes to clip off regrowth. Subsoiled and drilled and kept ewes on it for 5 days and by then could see new grass so took sheep off. Grazed it lightly again after a couple of weeks.
    Check out Moore unidrill website for photos and good advice on doing reseeds this way and for sprays that can be used to check growth of existing swards to let New grass establish. Some pics of my fields are on it.
    Would recommend a vigorous variety of grassseed maybe a tetraploid or hybrid?

I believe grass seed is too expensive, and grass itself too valuable a crop to mess around when establishing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    I believe grass seed is too expensive, and grass itself too valuable a crop to mess around when establishing it.
    and you must be too expensive to come and help the guy pick his stones
    theres always another way

[QUOTE=Uwork4menow;232043]I believe grass seed is too expensive, and grass itself too valuable a crop to mess around when establishing it.[/QUOTE
    Last edited by danseyspass; 01-06-14 at 02:26 PM.

Is that legal re:royalties, or should you perhaps delete the post?

Agree on spraying off pre cutting though.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Is that legal re:royalties, or should you perhaps delete the post?

Agree on spraying off pre cutting though.
    They charged plenty for it in the first place, a total rip off.

You really are a hypocrite
    And i grew commercial seed grain and potatoes up until 2011, but stopped due to being RIPPED off.

I have said grass seed is far too expensive to fuck around with. It is as expensive as maize seed. You wouldn't broadcast maize seed so why do it with grass?

Grass breeding and production is an expensive business. Why do you think BSH spend so much time marketing the stuff to the hilt? Of course breeders make money from it, thats the whole point.

I am a lot of things but I am no hypocrite.

I have said grass seed is far too expensive to fuck around with. It is as expensive as maize seed. You wouldn't broadcast maize seed so why do it with grass?

Grass breeding and production is an expensive business. Why do you think BSH spend so much time marketing the stuff to the hilt? Of course breeders make money from it, thats the whole point.

I am a lot of things but I am no hypocrite.
    You are exactly that, calling people clueless when you are the clueless one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    I've got chance of using a Erth agri seeder or a guttler greenmaster to drill some grass seed. My question is is it possible to get 1st cut off a field then drill day after or will the current ley grow back too fast and smother the new seeds?
    Last time I ploughed this field it was full of stone so that's out the question but can I get away without using roundup and can I get a big crop of grass off it this season or should I have reseeded last autumn? I've plenty of sheep so could I take first cut off, then drill it and stick sheep in until new seeds are through then shut field up for 2nd cut?
    S
    Spray off the grass 3 days before you mow it.
    bobs your uncle