Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 192

Thread: Rural evictions

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    south scotland
    Posts
    756

    Rural evictions

    Crown estate is evicting large numbers of householders in rural areas, featured in sunday papers.
    Anyone else seen it?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Lincs
    Posts
    45

    Re: Rural evictions

    Affecting 65 properties in and around a village near us:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27141985

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    south scotland
    Posts
    756

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by rogcal View Post
    Affecting 65 properties in and around a village near us:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27141985
    Completely ridiculous behaviour, monarch or not.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    somerset now working in the real world
    Posts
    893

    Re: Rural evictions

    Years ago we had (my mum) had the option to buy our duchy house or we had to move as it was being sold, she couldn't afford it we moved, as I u dear stand tenants are being give the option to buy, crown estates are a landlord with properties, no different than any other landlord, not ridiculous behaviour, business pure n simple,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    south scotland
    Posts
    756

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    Years ago we had (my mum) had the option to buy our duchy house or we had to move as it was being sold, she couldn't afford it we moved, as I u dear stand tenants are being give the option to buy, crown estates are a landlord with properties, no different than any other landlord, not ridiculous behaviour, business pure n simple,
    Landlords should not be able to evict willy nilly, especially not the queen, who certainly doesnt need the cash.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    somerset now working in the real world
    Posts
    893

    Re: Rural evictions

    Ahh sorry only read the press release, didn't realise they hadn't been given notice and where being evicted with none, with out actually knowing the conditions of their rent agreement I wouldn't know how much notice they have been given, I would have thought particularly with it being crown they would follow it as stated ie1 months notice or how ever long, or are people being pushed out in a matter of days, if so they have a legal case surely,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    535

    Re: Rural evictions

    Always the risk when you live in a rented property ! I've been on both sides !

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    south scotland
    Posts
    756

    Re: Rural evictions

    The queen should be giving them mortgages for 40yrs at 1% with no deposit.
    job sorted.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    209

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by danseyspass View Post
    The queen should be giving them mortgages for 40yrs at 1% with no deposit.
    job sorted.
    Why? Would you offer your customers the same terms? If not why not?

    They are being offered the option to buy their homes and if they dont want to then are on 6 month notice periods, which are considerably better than any private landlord would give you.

    I am non 4 weeks notice, no option to buy. Life's a bitch eh?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    535

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by danseyspass View Post
    The queen should be giving them mortgages for 40yrs at 1% with no deposit.
    job sorted.
    If you owned a house and had a tenant then some land came up for sale , the bank say you need to sell the house to buy the land what would you do ?
    Offer the house to tenants yes but the reason they rent a house is because they can't buy one for one reason or another ! Which may be the case with the Queens tenants .

  11. #11
    Senior Member Bald Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Anglesey
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by oldoaktree View Post
    If you owned a house and had a tenant then some land came up for sale , the bank say you need to sell the house to buy the land what would you do ?
    Offer the house to tenants yes but the reason they rent a house is because they can't buy one for one reason or another ! Which may be the case with the Queens tenants .
    For some reason, us Brits seem addicted to owning property. Euros are much more rent orientated. Wonder why?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    south scotland
    Posts
    756

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Condi View Post
    Why? Would you offer your customers the same terms? If not why not?

    They are being offered the option to buy their homes and if they dont want to then are on 6 month notice periods, which are considerably better than any private landlord would give you.

    I am non 4 weeks notice, no option to buy. Life's a bitch eh?
    You say why, i say why not? The crown can borrow money very cheaply, or just print it.
    what about the bloke who spent 30k on improvements? and dont say he is a fool.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    south scotland
    Posts
    756

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by oldoaktree View Post
    If you owned a house and had a tenant then some land came up for sale , the bank say you need to sell the house to buy the land what would you do ?
    Offer the house to tenants yes but the reason they rent a house is because they can't buy one for one reason or another ! Which may be the case with the Queens tenants .
    You sell with a sitting tenant. simple.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    south scotland
    Posts
    756

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    For some reason, us Brits seem addicted to owning property. Euros are much more rent orientated. Wonder why?
    Europeans are happy to rent as they cant be evicted and rents are controlled as the uk used to be pre thatcher.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    somerset now working in the real world
    Posts
    893

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by danseyspass View Post
    You say why, i say why not? The crown can borrow money very cheaply, or just print it.
    what about the bloke who spent 30k on improvements? and dont say he is a fool.
    Can they borrow it any cheaper than any one else??? They may have better collateral for a loan maybe.. As for printing more money I think you are getting a bit over wrought,,, don't reckon they start the mint churning out more notes coz they are a bit skintight,,,

    its basic economics,, the landlord has to raise some cash, he sells some of his assets, tenants are given correct notice, and option to buy, it only sounds bad as the "queen" is involved,, if it was say South Somerset Council no one would care,,, they certainly wouldn't offer a 1% mortgage over 40 years,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    209

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by danseyspass View Post
    You say why, i say why not? The crown can borrow money very cheaply, or just print it.
    what about the bloke who spent 30k on improvements? and dont say he is a fool.
    I say why because presumably you are running a business not a charity? And hence want to try and make money? Mind you, your attitudes to most things makes me think you think the whole world is running a charity and nobody should be allowed to make money without benefiting everyone else.

    Printing money, or borrowing more, is hardly a sustainable way to reduce over-spending. Do you have any more sensible suggestions?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    south scotland
    Posts
    756

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    Can they borrow it any cheaper than any one else??? They may have better collateral for a loan maybe.. As for printing more money I think you are getting a bit over wrought,,, don't reckon they start the mint churning out more notes coz they are a bit skintight,,,

    its basic economics,, the landlord has to raise some cash, he sells some of his assets, tenants are given correct notice, and option to buy, it only sounds bad as the "queen" is involved,, if it was say South Somerset Council no one would care,,, they certainly wouldn't offer a 1% mortgage over 40 years,,
    THE crown can borrow way cheaper, and whats wrong with a 1 % mortgage? they will still be in profit, and get some seriously good publicity.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    somerset now working in the real world
    Posts
    893

    Re: Rural evictions

    Nothing wrong with a 1% mortgage just can't get one also wish I was the crown so got cheap borrowing,, don't get that either,, lighten up a bit,, not a great deal you or I can do about it,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    535

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by danseyspass View Post
    You sell with a sitting tenant. simple.
    That might devalue it a tad !

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    535

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Condi View Post
    I say why because presumably you are running a business not a charity? And hence want to try and make money? Mind you, your attitudes to most things makes me think you think the whole world is running a charity and nobody should be allowed to make money without benefiting everyone else.

    Printing money, or borrowing more, is hardly a sustainable way to reduce over-spending. Do you have any more sensible suggestions?
    Think nail and head come to mind !

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    209

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by danseyspass View Post
    THE crown can borrow way cheaper, and whats wrong with a 1 % mortgage? they will still be in profit, and get some seriously good publicity.
    They wont be in profit. Inflation is running at 2% so they will be running at a loss of 1% per year.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    south scotland
    Posts
    756

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by oldoaktree View Post
    Think nail and head come to mind !
    I think being a farmer, i actually qualify as a charity. It certainly isnt a money making proposition.

    There is nothing wrong with making money, but the effect on others should always be considered, especially if you are the queen.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    south scotland
    Posts
    756

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Condi View Post
    They wont be in profit. Inflation is running at 2% so they will be running at a loss of 1% per year.
    They will not be making a loss, they will get paid just like any other mortgage company, and ok 2% maybe neare the mark.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    south scotland
    Posts
    756

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by oldoaktree View Post
    That might devalue it a tad !
    why?

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by danseyspass View Post
    why?
    Oh come on!!!

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    535

    Re: Rural evictions

    Why ???? If you don't know why houses are best sold " vacant " then I can't help you !

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    south scotland
    Posts
    756

    Re: Rural evictions

    [QUOTE=oldoaktree;231117]Why ???? If you don't know why houses are best sold " vacant " then I can't help you ![/QUOTE

    A short assured tenant has no real rights, so can be evicted anytime you please so shouldnt affect the value, especially if the new owner is going to rent it out anyway
    Its a world of difference from a protected tenancy where the discount could be 50%
    as i said before, some people in high positions need to take account of what is good PR and what isnt. .

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,456

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by danseyspass View Post
    Completely ridiculous behaviour, monarch or not.
    The Queen doesn't have any say in this. The Monarch surrenders control of and revenues from the Crown Estate at the beginning of their reign in exchange for their Civil List income. Revenues from the Crown Estate go to the Treasury.

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    838

    Re: Rural evictions

    danseyspass, I sometimes wonder if you live in the real world

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    209

    Re: Rural evictions

    Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    danseyspass, I sometimes wonder if you live in the real world
    Pointless getting into a discussion.

    He/she doesnt live in any world I know.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •