Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rural evictions

Re: Rural evictions

Quote Originally Posted by Condi View Post
    Pointless getting into a discussion.
    Been there, done that, still waiting on the promised apology

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    The Queen doesn't have any say in this. The Monarch surrenders control of and revenues from the Crown Estate at the beginning of their reign in exchange for their Civil List income. Revenues from the Crown Estate go to the Treasury.
    The CROWN ESTATE is the entity carrying out these mass evictions, where the revenues go is irrelevant. I dont think queenie will be too happy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    Can they borrow it any cheaper than any one else??? ,
    Yes, they can. Governments raise money by issuing bonds, the yield from bonds is at an all time low, certainly less than you'll pay on your overdraft. The UK govt can also get the Bank of England to intervene in the bond market if necessary

They may have better collateral for a loan maybe.. As for printing more money I think you are getting a bit over wrought,,, don't reckon they start the mint churning out more notes coz they are a bit skintight,,,
    Actually they do. Ever heard of quantative easing? The UK govt has the very handy option of printing money, So Far QE has involved the creation of 375bn of new money, which they used to buy their own bonds.

its basic economics,, the landlord has to raise some cash, he sells some of his assets, tenants are given correct notice, and option to buy, it only sounds bad as the "queen" is involved,, if it was say South Somerset Council no one would care,,, they certainly wouldn't offer a 1% mortgage over 40 years,
    It's all very well to say they have the option to buy, but due to economic circumstances which the govt's miss management of the economy have produced, house prices are massively over valued and it's impossible to get a mortgage without a substantial deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    danseyspass, I sometimes wonder if you live in the real world
    Its a different world from you thankfully.

danseyspass, I sometimes wonder if you live in the real world
    Is this real world the one where it's ok to kick people out of their homes for a quick profit?

It's all very well to say they have the option to buy, but due to economic circumstances which the govt's miss management of the economy have produced, house prices are massively over valued and it's impossible to get a mortgage without a substantial deposit.
    Can you explain this? What is the correct value for a house?

Prices, in real terms, are about the same as they were in 2002 according to official figures, suggesting that houses are actually considerably cheaper now than for most of Labour's time in power. in fact, house prices are below the long term trend line, so they are comparatively cheaper than they should be.

Oh, and you can get a house with a 5% deposit.

Prices, in real terms, are about the same as they were in 2002 according to official figures, suggesting that houses are actually considerably cheaper now than for most of Labour's time in power. in fact, house prices are below the long term trend line, so they are comparatively cheaper than they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by danseyspass View Post
    Just the reasonable response I was expecting.

But the world's out to get you aint it? Awwww.

FYI http://personal.natwest.com/personal...lp-to-buy.html

Just the reasonable response I was expecting.

But the world's out to get you aint it? Awwww.

FYI http://personal.natwest.com/personal...lp-to-buy.html
    That would be a 5% mortgage under the help to buy mortgage guarantee scheme.

Aye, if you can qualify for a mortgage in the first place... which isn't necessarily easy for a tenant in a depressed rural area in a recession.

As for selling the houses at this time, isn't this gross mismanagement, a very un-businesslike squandering of assets, since house prices are relatively way down?

Is this real world the one where it's ok to kick people out of their homes for a quick profit?
    Would you sell a house at a discount if you had the option to sell it with vacant possession? Even if you did, you'd look pretty stupid if the buyer evicted the tenants anyway and moved in himself, or put it straight back on the market.

Rural property round here has risen 8 fold in 15yrs. wages have doubled
    I dont think that is anywhere near the same "in real terms".

Prices, in real terms, are about the same as they were in 2002 according to official figures
    , suggesting that houses are actually considerably cheaper now than for most of Labour's time in power. in fact, house prices are below the long term trend line, so they are comparatively cheaper than they should be.

That would depend absolutely on where you are. Here, at a "holiday/retirement" destination, house prices bear no resemblance to reality. 3 bed property with 1.5ac of land at the top of my drive sold for 350,000 last month - and that's without a view of Snowdonia. About 100-150,000 over what I would think its worth.

Returning to Crown Estates, it must be a burger having RAC trained land agents preaching at you & going "haw, haw" .............

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    That would depend absolutely on where you are. Here, at a "holiday/retirement" destination, house prices bear no resemblance to reality. 3 bed property with 1.5ac of land at the top of my drive sold for 350,000 last month - and that's without a view of Snowdonia. About 100-150,000 over what I would think its worth.

Returning to Crown Estates, it must be a burger having RAC trained land agents preaching at you & going "haw, haw" .............
    Here here

Yes, they can. Governments raise money by issuing bonds, the yield from bonds is at an all time low, certainly less than you'll pay on your overdraft. The UK govt can also get the Bank of England to intervene in the bond market if necessary

Actually they do. Ever heard of quantative easing? The UK govt has the very handy option of printing money, So Far QE has involved the creation of 375bn of new money, which they used to buy their own bonds.

Matbrojoe, whilst I can't disagree with the first two points, fairly debated there, well done,
    i have a small issue with your final statement,

every body has an option to buy a house, you can afford a deposit, you can afford to cover the repayments job done,
    i think blaming the Govt for the economic circumstances we find our selves finally starting to emerge from Is I think a trifle "naive"
    IMO we are where are in no small part due to the banks lending over zealous buyers more money than they could realistically afford to pay back, in some case 5 or 6 times their earnings with a minuscule deposit,
    when I took out my mortgage 21 year ago, the bank would only lend me 3 1/2 times my earning which as a Pte in the army weren't much, and I had to find an 8% deposit, and yes I think house prices are over valued,, my pile of bricks is still the same pile it was when I bought it, albeit with new paint n windows n stuff,, but it's worth near 3 times as much,, wish all the cars and motor bikes I've had over the years went the same way,,
    peoples. "Greed " to have stuff they can't afford dropped us in and an inability to repay borrowed monies,, not just govt mismanagement,, off which there have been a few in the last 20 odd years who have all had a go at arsing the job up,,,

EDIT,, some folk need to start facing up to the reality that a buy now pay later world is not the way ahead, if you can't afford to pay for it,, don't have it on the tick,,,, Save up,,,, hhhmmmm sound like me dad now,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

This is a disgraceful situation for long standing tenants. As Mick Moore says the crown estate is in reality nothing to do with the monarchy , effectively being owned by the treasury who takes all income.
    i have no knowledge of any of those involved, but there is no way they should be turfed out of their homes like this.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Matbrojoe, whilst I can't disagree with the first two points, fairly debated there, well done,

every body has an option to buy a house, you can afford a deposit, you can afford to cover the repayments job done,
    i think blaming the Govt for the economic circumstances we find our selves finally starting to emerge from Is I think a trifle "naive"
    IMO we are where are in no small part due to the banks lending over zealous buyers more money than they could realistically afford to pay back, in some case 5 or 6 times their earnings with a minuscule deposit,
    when I took out my mortgage 21 year ago, the bank would only lend me 3 1/2 times my earning which as a Pte in the army weren't much, and I had to find an 8% deposit, and yes I think house prices are over valued,, my pile of bricks is still the same pile it was when I bought it, albeit with new paint n windows n stuff,, but it's worth near 3 times as much,, wish all the cars and motor bikes I've had over the years went the same way,,
    peoples. "Greed " to have stuff they can't afford dropped us in and an inability to repay borrowed monies,, not just govt mismanagement,, off which there have been a few in the last 20 odd years who have all had a go at arsing the job up,,,

EDIT,, some folk need to start facing up to the reality that a buy now pay later world is not the way ahead, if you can't afford to pay for it,, don't have it on the tick,,,, Save up,,,, hhhmmmm sound like me dad now,,
    The ludicrous price of houses has been caused by govt policy.
    Not least crash gordons pension raids which steered people towards property as a safe haven. The govt could have taken action in 2004 to cool property, but they were making too much money from it to act.
    It was govt policy to let the banks run riot with mortgage lending with their lack of regulation. Notice how the clydesdale bank, previously ridiculed for being cautious is unscathed by the crisis, because it is regulated by the national australia bank.

that's kind of the point, if you were 21 years younger and were in the same position you were then today, could you afford to buy a house and raise an 8% deposit?

Ulitimately, the govt is responsible for economic policy, Labour chose to pursue a policy of economic growth based on a consumer spending boom financed by cheap credit which was in turn underwritten by increasing house prices. The govt chose not to regulate the banks or discourage irresponsible lending because it suited their short term economic goals. The current govt is desperately trying to kick the can down the road with policies like the help to buy scheme.

Would you sell a house at a discount if you had the option to sell it with vacant possession? Even if you did, you'd look pretty stupid if the buyer evicted the tenants anyway and moved in himself, or put it straight back on the market.
    I'm an individual and arguably have less social responsibility than the UK govt do. The Crown Estate properties have traditionally provided much needed affordable social housing in expensive rural areas, if you rent from a private landlord on a short term assured let you know the score, but Crown tenants have been lead to believe that they had a home for life as long as they paid the rent, now they're bing turfed out for the sake of short term profits. When they've sold all these homes off to stock brokers and bankers, where are the people doing the low paid but nevertheless important jobs supposed to live?

I'm an individual and arguably have less social responsibility than the UK govt do. The Crown Estate properties have traditionally provided much needed affordable social housing in expensive rural areas, if you rent from a private landlord on a short term assured let you know the score, but Crown tenants have been lead to believe that they had a home for life as long as they paid the rent, now they're bing turfed out for the sake of short term profits. When they've sold all these homes off to stock brokers and bankers, where are the people doing the low paid but nevertheless important jobs supposed to live?

The argument all boils down to "tenants have been lead to believe that they had a home for life as long as they paid the rent", I've never heard this, and certainly wasn't told this when I looked at a Crown property...

I have to say I think this is a little nave, and probably just emanating from frustration, I rent and have to be fully aware I may have to move at some point, I'm not convinced I would think anything different whoever the landlord is....???

Unfortunately in life, money tends to empower demand, and if city folk push the price of rural property up, it will push people on low income into less desirable housing in Towns etc. The only real answer is to go earn enough money to buy the things you want!

Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post
    The argument all boils down to "tenants have been lead to believe that they had a home for life as long as they paid the rent", I've never heard this, and certainly wasn't told this when I looked at a Crown property...

I have to say I think this is a little nave, and probably just emanating from frustration, I rent and have to be fully aware I may have to move at some point, I'm not convinced I would think anything different whoever the landlord is....???

Unfortunately in life, money tends to empower demand, and if city folk push the price of rural property up, it will push people on low income into less desirable housing in Towns etc. The only real answer is to go earn enough money to buy the things you want!
    So we should all abandon farmwork and become hedge fund managers?
    What utter claptrap.

So we should all abandon farmwork and become hedge fund managers?
    What utter claptrap.

Nope not at all - BUT, nothing wrong with doing something else first to set up yourself farming! I did a job I hated for 10 years knowing I was putting money aside, I'm now in the Countryside Dairy Farming and my investment is meaning I'm not reliant on artificially low rent, or loads of borrowed money!!

If you want a big country house and garden, go work your ass off and save a deposit then find one and enjoy a rural job and house!

I'm realising you are one of those people that expect to be given what you want just because you are where you are...

Nope not at all - BUT, nothing wrong with doing something else first to set up yourself farming! I did a job I hated for 10 years knowing I was putting money aside, I'm now in the Countryside Dairy Farming and my investment is meaning I'm not reliant on artificially low rent, or loads of borrowed money!!

If you want a big country house and garden, go work your ass off and save a deposit then find one and enjoy a rural job and house!

I'm realising you are one of those people that expect to be given what you want just because you are where you are...

Wot e said, in spades!

[QUOTE=danseyspass;231130]
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoaktree View Post
    Why ???? If you don't know why houses are best sold " vacant " then I can't help you ![/QUOTE

A short assured tenant has no real rights, so can be evicted anytime you please so shouldnt affect the value, especially if the new owner is going to rent it out anyway
    Its a world of difference from a protected tenancy where the discount could be 50%
    as i said before, some people in high positions need to take account of what is good PR and what isnt. .
    You have the rights set out in the terms and conditions of the tenancy !
    I could waffle on about section 21 or section 8 notices to quit , but quite frankly can't be bothered and I think the tenancies in question were signed before 1988 so this might not apply ! Section 8 is were by you can't give notice to quit if the tenant has broken the terms of the tenancy non payment rent etc .
    Section 21 is can be served but only for a date after the end of a fixed term.

So if say jo blogs who lives in 10 prince Philip gardens which belongs to the crown signed an agreement in 2005 for two years he can be served notice to quit which usually takes approx two months . If he realised he and his family were unprotected by not having an up to date agreement in place he should have had a discussion with the agents for a new tenancy .
    So if Jo has an agreement signed up to June 2017the he can be served notice to quit August 2017 .
    Now if he had gone to the agent and they said we are not extending an agreements they he surly must think there's a rabbit off some where .

If the BBC article is correct and it's not like the BBC or other media to get things , how would you say , "not quite right" that they have been given the right to buy . On other threads people are complaining like mad that the tenants be give the right to buy !
    If they have being given the right to buy is it at full value ie vacant possession or is there discounts available .

I took some land on once and inherited so poor fences it was arable land so it wasn't an issue to me but in the agreement it said all fences must be made good , I had word with the letting agent he said I won't hold you to that just make sure there no worse than that are now . Told my agent this he said well let's change it to that in the agreement , I so I say it's all right he's a good bloke he'll keep his word , think this is going to cost more in fees .I was told he prob will but he might not be there when you give the land up .
    He's still the main agent but there's some sharp young things coming on the seine in that office .

+ 1

Well bully for you.
    I HAVE worked my ass off, and already have a big enough house and garden, and am reasonably well off, but i have concern for my fellow man
    which few others on here seem to share as long as they are all right jack.

The queen should be giving them mortgages for 40yrs at 1% with no deposit.
    job sorted.
    Why Would you ?

Quote Originally Posted by old-school View Post
    Why Would you ?
    why not? it would be seriously good public relations for queenie, and a better return than 0.5% at the bank.

Well bully for you.
    I HAVE worked my ass off, and already have a big enough house and garden, and am reasonably well off, but i have concern for my fellow man
    which few others on here seem to share as long as they are all right jack.
    You don't seem to worried about the hedge fund managers or bankers that have to suffer London all day.... Oh your only concerned about the fortunate few that landed a crown rental already....

Your arguments/comments are so flawed

You don't seem to worried about the hedge fund managers or bankers that have to suffer London all day.... Oh your only concerned about the fortunate few that landed a crown rental already....

Your arguments/comments are so flawed
    So you're saying the people who already have a crown property rented are fortunate? which seems rather like a tacit admission that there's a shortage of affordable properties to rent in rural areas, but you're still saying kicking these people out and selling the properties so there are even fewer available is a good thing.

Whose argument is flawed again?