Thread: Planting maize Under plastic.

Re: Planting maize Under plastic.

Another 10 days of growth.

We went for two varieties, you can see a huge difference for sure;

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Another 10 days of growth.

We went for two varieties, you can see a huge difference for sure;
    Is that the prize winning field then jim?

It is indeed!

I haven't seen the letter yet. Did you get anything? No prizes cereals for us this year, just the maize.

A lot of maize down here is now well over shoulder high. Although it isn't harvested yet, as I consistently lament, ripe maize is what we are after, not just a tall green stick.

A lot of varieties are big old plants, with thick stems but they don't tend to ripen early enough for us down here. Had some last year, the customer was pleased as punch with 22t/acre allegedly although I did say 15t/acre fresh would be far better if it ripened two weeks earlier.

Not impressed with my wireworm experiment at all, drilled deliberately heavier than normal expecting to lose 10% establishment at least and not a single plant has suffered with it, typical.

Our own maize trials turned out very interesting. Drilled some at 47,000/acre in mid April, and some mid May at the same rate. Came back and counted plant stand earlier this month and the early drilled stuff had barely 38,000 plants. Late drilled stuff suffered negligible losses. Wonder if we might be best to consider changing seed rates as time goes on as some people do for spring barley??

Is that the prize winning field then jim?
    That's our one prize, but haven't mentioned yours. All three in fact!

Mr JT has won a first with his Winter Wheat , a first prize with his Winter Barley and a third with the 'any other crop'. Well done!

Looks like we'll maybe meet in the member's tent for the Championship at 2pm on Sat.

The other variety on the other side of the field is better, it's over 6' tall.

Well I dont like to boast! The any other crop was a field of spring beans.
    Hopefully be there on saturday. Got winter barley to cut first. Made a start this afternoon, coming off at 12%

Barley almost ripe.

Took the barley off on Wed of this week. Quite pleased with it really as it's yielded about 3ton/acre.

Spring barley has done really well this year Jim, but don't tease us, show us the cobs on the maize!

Got it today

Almost all safely gathered in.

But watch this space for the upcoming Maizemen movie.

Here's us stopped for dinner. Also I was going to have a play with the old bus, but it wouldn't play ball.

Wheat (Grafton) going in after the maize following a liberal dose of slurry. Conditions at planting in the 40ac field were near perfect, but it'll be 11 months before we should be thinking about 'counting chickens'.

Great plot of land you lucky beggar!

Three ton off the SB. Well done. Two ton here is good. Three off winter barley.

Its obviously dry ground, but you must also be in a dryish area too? The way that stuff is flying through the plough is an eye opener. Was it ever destoned or it it just gravel?

It's not always this good. This year we had 5mm total of rain in Sept when normally we get 127mm. Never known a year like it and that's why I've been keen to record it all. Don't think we'll ever see anything like this autumn again.
    We've had some right fights in the past trying to get wheat in after maize in sodden boggy conditions.

It's not as stone free as it looks, I'll get a picture of the bent new tines on the power harrow to show you.

What variety is that Jim, it still looks rather green from the videos?

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    What variety is that Jim, it still looks rather green from the videos?
    You're right it was slightly greenish, however the cob was very ripe, and there's no juice running at all.
    Two varieties, the one in most of the pics on the south side of the field was the less riper, it was LG31.81, the other was Pioneer PR39V43 on the north side.

Here's the power harrow. Tines were brand new when I started that field, you can see how bent they are with stone damage.

Good lord. I feel just slightly better now. Although, the drill bearing down on the harrow has to be half the trouble too?

I think you're just trying to make the rest of us feel better talking about sodden boggy conditions! On that land?

We haven't grown maize for about three seasons now, but when we did, we also were following with wheat. It was hectic. Had the hedgecutter cleaning up the grass and briers around the hedges before the harvester had left the field, followed immediately by the plough and the combi. We found the maize stubble quite dry and well soaked, but if it got rain once it was cut, then that was it for the winter because its raining more or less every other day through to March or April! Also, I liked to get the wheat in as early in october as possible because even wheat can struggle with our rain, and the hollows would be weak. So we were pulling the harvesting date forward every year with earlier varieties. Even cut one crop on 28th september if I recall, and it was all thanks to the plastic. Obviously, it wouldn't be a runner at all here without it. I think the plastic is now biodigradeable. In our earlier days with it, it was photodegradable, so it would have been better left uncultivated until spring to maximise the light contact. As such, I am still ploughing up a little bit of it, but its not a big deal.

Great stuff, nothing like your weather but we have had an easy harvest up here too.
    Your tynes must have missed the hardening prosess, I would go back to the supplier with them as they look scrap now.

They are genuine Kuhn tines from Kuhn dealer :/ They always do that but I usually just carry on with them until they wear out.

Christ Jim, no wonder it is green, I can't get V43 to ripen for toffee down here, the pioneer ones are way too late for you up there.

To hell with how the cob looks, get down and twist the stem about 12 inches off the deck if it runs with moisture it's not ready.

You want to be growing nothing any later than something like Karriol (FAO 190) and ideally no later than Severus or similar which from memory is a 160. Look for early vigour scores, this is what you want if its going under plastic, don't be fooled that only certain varieties will grow under plastic, that is nonsense.

Had two customers grow under plastic this year, neither are doing it again, with similar drilling dates and earlier varieties others are cutting theirs earlier or at the same time as those under plastic. I appreciate its a whole different ball game up there but you want to be maturity class 8 at the very most. I have never managed to get the pioneer stuff to come early enough, I would say their 'very early' varieties are about a 7 on a good day.

If you get good seed beds and conditions are ok, then stick it in at 42,000.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    You're right it was slightly greenish, however the cob was very ripe, and there's no juice running at all.
    Two varieties, the one in most of the pics on the south side of the field was the less riper, it was LG31.81, the other was Pioneer PR39V43 on the north side.

Here's the power harrow. Tines were brand new when I started that field, you can see how bent they are with stone damage.

Christ man are you drilling into bed rock???? I cringe when I hear a stone go thru the tines???
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post

Christ man are you drilling into bed rock???? I cringe when I hear a stone go thru the tines???
    Would be fantastic in this area to go 50yds without a stone going through!!!
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

Another season, another crop.
    Wheat getting it's first 75 units of N.

The following crop of wheat is looking really well now, so I thought be'd record it too. Thanks again to Dave for the drone work and editing.