Thread: "Can I park my trailer in your yard?"

"Can I park my trailer in your yard?"

This afternoon a guy with a woman and a kid, in a 13 plate double cab Isuzu, appear into the yard - says he's a road contractor and he asks to park a plant trailer in my yard as "I don't want it getting nicked". No sign of the trailer on the pick-up......
    Was I just being cynical when I said "sorry but no"? Or is this another scam to get onto property to see what's worth nicking?

Re: "Can I park my trailer in your yard?"

More than likely, or they will tar your yard and demand maximum + 100% compensation...

Cheers BB

Or the trailer is nicked and they want to leave it for a few days, I'd have told him to bugger off too.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

On the other hand it could be genuine, probably not though given the family affair. We had a road gang manager cold call several years back and they used our yard 2 years in a row and paid us to load their tar slurry machine with granite fines.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy Dug View Post
    This afternoon a guy with a woman and a kid, in a 13 plate double cab Isuzu, appear into the yard - says he's a road contractor and he asks to park a plant trailer in my yard as "I don't want it getting nicked". No sign of the trailer on the pick-up......
    Was I just being cynical when I said "sorry but no"? Or is this another scam to get onto property to see what's worth nicking?
    You did the right thing.The number of times I've got my fingers burnt saying "yes" has at last taught me a lesson.

Trailer and contents nicked.....leave it in your yard to cool down.
    Try explaining to Her Majesties finest that it belongs to a guy that called by.
    Make an excuse while they are in the yard that you have to make a call on your mobile.
    Ring the Police at give the details....like as not they will be found within a farm or two, if nothing else it will shift them out of the area.
    gee

Gee's right, report it to the police, even if you don't have the number any more at least they'll be aware they're about. In the unlikely event that it's entirely genuine, then there's no harm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Trailer and contents nicked.....leave it in your yard to cool down.
    Try explaining to Her Majesties finest that it belongs to a guy that called by.
    Make an excuse while they are in the yard that you have to make a call on your mobile.
    Ring the Police at give the details....like as not they will be found within a farm or two, if nothing else it will shift them out of the area.
    gee
    About 10 years ago it happened to farmer nr Wrexham ,who let a local acutance leave a articulated lorry trailer on his farm over the weekend .The Plod` spotted it (as it was close to a notorious Caravan nomads site) and surprise surprise it had some dodgy contents inside ,which the local acutance had allegedly never seen before. The farmer went to jail .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

I have formed a good relationship with the local road patching gang and they based themselves here for a fortnight last year, doing me a couple of good turns in return. However, the request to park has always been made by the foreman during working hours in a company liveried vehicle. It is entirely plausible your chap was genuine and just dropped in while passing with the family, but turning up in a Pikey truck, mid bank holiday weekend is hardly asking to be trusted. I'd have politely sent him away too, after dropping my new security cameras into the conversation.

Should have let them, then checked out the trailer
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Take it in and it gets nicked and you are the one liable as you've undertaken to look after it!

Clearly, the idea is that if it's in your yard, it's safe. I'd have politely pointed out that you didn't want the risk as you'd had things nicked in the past and your insurance doesn't cover it. It gets you out of the situation without putting any backs up. I always like to give them the impression that I'm a nice chap…and train GSDs in protection work for a living!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I always like to give them the impression that I'm a nice chap…and train GSDs in protection work for a living!!
    Like it
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

We had a guy in a jag in asking the same thing. Going to be working in the area for BT and wants to park their digger in our yard and my old boy spoke to him a bit an explained it's not a secure yard and agreed a small fee (some type one) an when he told me I said pretty much everything on this post (apart from the gsd part I don't know what that is) and he just said "we can keep an eye on them but if you don't trust no one how can you expect others to trust you when you need them to. " I kinda see what he saying but a bit of a risk non the less.
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    We had a guy in a jag in asking the same thing. Going to be working in the area for BT and wants to park their digger in our yard and my old boy spoke to him a bit an explained it's not a secure yard and agreed a small fee (some type one) an when he told me I said pretty much everything on this post (apart from the gsd part I don't know what that is) and he just said "we can keep an eye on them but if you don't trust no one how can you expect others to trust you when you need them to. " I kinda see what he saying but a bit of a risk non the less.
    GSD = German Shepherd Dog

ff

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    GSD = German Shepherd Dog

ff
    Phil likes this one….

Did I hear hear a Transit van…?

There was a 911 stolen from a farmer in Northumberland not that long ago. It was fitted with a tracker and recovered by the police.
    The thieves had left it in a car park in Durham, and according to plod the thieves watch the car for a few days to see if its found (tracked), and if its not they'll take it to somewhere secure and strip it down.

We've had approaches from 'firms' about leaving machinery in the yard. I would consider it ONLY if its a contract for BT or similar. I don't even let the council use the yard anymore, but thats a different story.

In fact there are 2 council crew cab vans parked in a lay-by up the road this morning, with 6 guys sleeping in them (beany hats over the eyes) Its no wonder the councils skint. Employment for the unemployable.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer IV View Post
    There was a 911 stolen from a farmer in Northumberland not that long ago. It was fitted with a tracker and recovered by the police.
    The thieves had left it in a car park in Durham, and according to plod the thieves watch the car for a few days to see if its found (tracked), and if its not they'll take it to somewhere secure and strip it down.

We've had approaches from 'firms' about leaving machinery in the yard. I would consider it ONLY if its a contract for BT or similar. I don't even let the council use the yard anymore, but thats a different story.

In fact there are 2 council crew cab vans parked in a lay-by up the road this morning, with 6 guys sleeping in them (beany hats over the eyes) Its no wonder the councils skint. Employment for the unemployable.
    Have heard of this being done with quad bikes as well. Leave them in a shed in the middle of nowhere and see if anyone comes for them. If they do the thieving barstewards know to look for a tracker next time!

HH

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer IV View Post
    That reminded me of an old joke in these parts( change colour to suit your area).
    Q. What's yellow and sleeps three?
    A. A council lorry.