Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Argosy 50Kw

Re: Argosy 50Kw

A couple of years ago I did hear that they were trying this in China with compressed air being stored in an old coal (?) mine.

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Thinking outside the square here....

I'm pretty sure that in the recent past I saw a tv program on a proposal to store energy in the form of compressed air in large bags underwater. the water pressure contains the air, so pressure vessels are not required. Can't remember how the bags were anchored (maybe it was water in the bags, not air) When required, the air (or water) is released to run a turbine, and presumably replenished when wind or solar comes back on line.

Sounds too good to be true..but worth a thought.

JV

JV

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    I really think that storage would be limited to gusts over seconds rather than several hours or even days of energy which you are looking for.

If you could invent something you could be very rich
    No need to invent something the technology has been around for over a century and I would include on any turbine I could get planning permission.

Quote Originally Posted by renewablejohn View Post
    Where not talking of storing for months its just capping the excess wind on a 250kw machine above 7 m/s and then releasing that energy when the wind drops below 7 m/s. As highlighted already the daily average wind graph for Manchester is less than 7 m/s so the capping can be utilised during the daily slack periods. Its got to be worthwhile doing if you can increase your capacity factor from 20% to 80% just by going hydraulic.
    Averaging already fills the troughs with the excess of the peaks but you'd still expect circa 60kw to store in a windy period (winter months). That's based on 250kW * 42% - 50kW grid capacity. True - there would be days when a little could be pushed back out of the store to the grid but others when you'd be storing at 200kW. That's averaging for you. Turbine power curves can be deceptive - from cut-in to 6 or 7m/s none of them do all that much but they then ramp up steeply to 10 or 15 m/s (depending on model - swept area:generator power ratio). That's because power is proportional to the cube of wind speed. So the periods over 7 m/s generate far more than the spare capacity. Thankfully average power is a hell of a lot more than power at average wind speed.

This is my (6.2 NOABL, 5.9 act running average) Endurance experience - it's the 1000+ unit days that count up. The 100/200 unit days are neither here nor there, other than saving on imported electric. I think I had 23 1000+ unit days in Dec; A 250 running at the same capacity factor (52%+) would do 130kW - that's 80kW (or my 100hp tractor) to dispose of. Even though the following months were less, there would still be additional power to store in Jan, Feb & Mar and this year it would have been April until some could have been paid back. Even then that would have only been a small dent in last September's storage (you'd have been storing since then). It still wouldn't be used up by the end of summer. Put it another way - a 250 running at 25% CF over the year is 62.5kW, so even if you could store all winter until the summer, you'd still burst a 50 grid connection.