Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should All Year Round calving dairy herds get a premium

Should All Year Round calving dairy herds get a premium

Given that we are seeing milk prices fall in the UK due to falling world prices and a massive increase in production, a lack of UK processing and more and more producers changing to block spring calving , is it time to give the AYR calving herds a premium or just hammer the spring calvers ??
    With milk going to Ireland at 17ppl and less it must be time to address this problem before the end of quota's and when there will be less capacity in Ireland as well.

There are extra cost to calving AYR and milk plants need regular supplies, so is the current seasonallity of milk buyers severe enough to keep high spring production in check ??

Would like to here your comments.

Re: Should All Year Round calving dairy herds get a premium

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    Given that we are seeing milk prices fall in the UK due to falling world prices and a massive increase in production, a lack of UK processing and more and more producers changing to block spring calving , is it time to give the AYR calving herds a premium or just hammer the spring calvers ??
    With milk going to Ireland at 17ppl and less it must be time to address this problem before the end of quota's and when there will be less capacity in Ireland as well.

There are extra cost to calving AYR and milk plants need regular supplies, so is the current seasonallity of milk buyers severe enough to keep high spring production in check ??

Our dairy has a seasonality penalty for April and May milk and incentives for autumn milk and we all have to submit forecasts. Based on the forecasts the dairy can then sell/buy milk forward. If the dairy is more than 5% over forecast in a month then the producers who are over 5% get a penalty on their over forecast volume, as the dairy would then have to be selling spot (ie no doubt at a low price). Seems fair to me, as the ones who are sticking to forecast do not get penalised. They may decide to increase the penalty in future if they feel it is not enough of a disincentive. However, as once we hit summer then our milk price rises sharply so if we've culled them in May we haven't got them in July so in our case although we are over forecast we will take the hit in May to get the benefit in July! (We run a closed herd so wouldn't cull in spring to then buy in for autumn production; we calve through 6 months Sept-Mar)

Interesting discussion point this and very topical. We are AYR, level profile and, like Joules, with agreed monthly volumes although our buyer is happy for us to double production within the next 6 months as they like our product. As we have seen, because the milk price is good and the forecasts going forward is for a rising global demand for dairy products, a lot of farmers are looking at dairy and quite a few have already taken the plunge and as spring block is the cheapest way in, that is where they are going. However our buyer is now refusing to take on more SB milk and has turned down a number of new entrants already. They do have a hefty seasonality penalty too and I suppose that is the easiest way to keep the lid on spring milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    Interesting discussion point this and very topical. We are AYR, level profile and, like Joules, with agreed monthly volumes although our buyer is happy for us to double production within the next 6 months as they like our product. As we have seen, because the milk price is good and the forecasts going forward is for a rising global demand for dairy products, a lot of farmers are looking at dairy and quite a few have already taken the plunge and as spring block is the cheapest way in, that is where they are going. However our buyer is now refusing to take on more SB milk and has turned down a number of new entrants already. They do have a hefty seasonality penalty too and I suppose that is the easiest way to keep the lid on spring milk?
    Not hefty enough obviously! If they like the idea of block calving why not do it in the autumn?

Quote Originally Posted by ffarmwr View Post
    Not hefty enough obviously! If they like the idea of block calving why not do it in the autumn?
    Because the grass doesn't grow through winter!
    We run an Autumn calving herd and the inputs are higher than the spring boys and we have to house for 3-4 months of the year.
    HH

Quote Originally Posted by The Happy Herdsman View Post
    Because the grass doesn't grow through winter!
    We run an Autumn calving herd and the inputs are higher than the spring boys and we have to house for 3-4 months of the year.
    HH
    You should think yourself very luck at 3-4 months, winter in Scotland is 6-7 months !!!

Some cows that came inside in at the end of september are just starting to go out this week !!

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post

I think there are times I have been called a Spring calving zealot on here as time as gone on and my farming failures mount up I am perhaps more live and let live. But the OP has wound me up a little !So here goes(Unless you are as good as the best high yielding americans ) I believe AYR calving is the problem and should be banned . the OP states there system is inefficient when compared to compact calving so why would anybody want to do it? the OP states there is too much spring milk because of those nasty efficient spring calvers who can cope with seasonality whereas they cannot so why do it? how about those who moan about efficient milk producers become efficient themselves? Andersons dairy co etc etc all state spring is most efficient closely followed by Autumn block followed miles behind by Ayr so how about a 50/50 split autumn/spring and let the market decide on seasonality rather than messing about with pricing to create a level profile.

lazy

Quote Originally Posted by lazy farmer View Post
    I think there are times I have been called a Spring calving zealot on here as time as gone on and my farming failures mount up I am perhaps more live and let live. But the OP has wound me up a little !So here goes(Unless you are as good as the best high yielding americans ) I believe AYR calving is the problem and should be banned . the OP states there system is inefficient when compared to compact calving so why would anybody want to do it? the OP states there is too much spring milk because of those nasty efficient spring calvers who can cope with seasonality whereas they cannot so why do it? how about those who moan about efficient milk producers become efficient themselves? Andersons dairy co etc etc all state spring is most efficient closely followed by Autumn block followed miles behind by Ayr so how about a 50/50 split autumn/spring and let the market decide on seasonality rather than messing about with pricing to create a level profile.

lazy
    Quite agree lazy, apart from the comment around banning AYR calving, leave the individual farmer to decide what suits them or their farm best and let the market decide what it can pay at any particular time of year.

If a system is inefficient why should it encouraged? Subsidies already create enough inefficiencies without any further intervention from the markets.

lazy
    Efficient? Or cheapest way of producing milk? The problem is that the market is saturated with spring milk and as I noted, some buyers are refusing to take on more clients offering spring milk only. Of course, ultimately, the market decides and it does look like finally UK processors are finally waking up to the fact that there is life after liquid milk and investing in drying plants. We are all dairy farmers so it is all our interests to see a price that gives us all a profit at the end of the year

Efficient? Or cheapest way of producing milk? The problem is that the market is saturated with spring milk and as I noted, some buyers are refusing to take on more clients offering spring milk only. Of course, ultimately, the market decides and it does look like finally UK processors are finally waking up to the fact that there is life after liquid milk and investing in drying plants. We are all dairy farmers so it is all our interests to see a price that gives us all a profit at the end of the year
    So we agree ? the market will decide. this is the first year in many that we have properly distressed milk and I believe from next year there will be increased capacity to deal with it(if it comes) and it will be capacity that can meet what the market wants so as a block calver I don't really see a problem but then I would say that wouldn't i . and as you say if the buyer dorsn't want spring producers they won't take them! the market will decide not subsidise.

lazy

lazy
    AYR should be banned? Or it is 'inefficient'?

Come off it LF, you're no more efficient or otherwise than anyone else. I can assure you that someone somewhere on planet earth can crank out milk cheaper or faster or in greater quantities than you.

The market quite clearly wants a steady milk supply because who the hell can afford to build or run plants which sit empty for half the year? It can't won't and never will happen. This is not New Zealand and we are stuck with the value of Sterling I am afraid, unless you want to join the YouRow of course.

You wind me up because there are people making perfectly good money doing something you detest. Just because it does not suit you don't level your ire at it.

You need to remember that block calving systems work well exactly because not everyone is prepared or able to do it. If the UK was nearly 100% spring calving you'd all be in the same vice.

As for pressing on regardless and 'letting the market decide', I think that kind of attitude in agriculture has been its bane for decades. If I have learned anything in recent years it is that you should produce something the market wants when it wants it. You don't just do your own thing and hope that the market accepts it by coincidence.

As for you Stewart. You bring nothing to this debate, I for one am tired with your holier than thou attitude and predilection for bashing subsidies and our industry in general. You can root for team NZ all you want but it means bugger all here.

If you want my opinion of the dairy industry in the UK it is pretty much thus. It doesn't matter if you are big or small, owners or tenants, high input, low input, AYR or block, none of it makes any difference, you just need to be good. A relatively simple system, done well, and with clear goals is where I think some flourish but that is only my small view on it.

I will never understand the back biting and need to trash other peoples ideas or systems, it benefits no one. You are all in the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    AYR should be banned? Or it is 'inefficient'?

Come off it LF, you're no more efficient or otherwise than anyone else. I can assure you that someone somewhere on planet earth can crank out milk cheaper or faster or in greater quantities than you.

The market quite clearly wants a steady milk supply because who the hell can afford to build or run plants which sit empty for half the year? It can't won't and never will happen. This is not New Zealand and we are stuck with the value of Sterling I am afraid, unless you want to join the YouRow of course.

You wind me up because there are people making perfectly good money doing something you detest. Just because it does not suit you don't level your ire at it.

You need to remember that block calving systems work well exactly because not everyone is prepared or able to do it. If the UK was nearly 100% spring calving you'd all be in the same vice.

As for pressing on regardless and 'letting the market decide', I think that kind of attitude in agriculture has been its bane for decades. If I have learned anything in recent years it is that you should produce something the market wants when it wants it. You don't just do your own thing and hope that the market accepts it by coincidence.

As for you Stewart. You bring nothing to this debate, I for one am tired with your holier than thou attitude and predilection for bashing subsidies and our industry in general. You can root for team NZ all you want but it means bugger all here.

If you want my opinion of the dairy industry in the UK it is pretty much thus. It doesn't matter if you are big or small, owners or tenants, high input, low input, AYR or block, none of it makes any difference, you just need to be good. A relatively simple system, done well, and with clear goals is where I think some flourish but that is only my small view on it.

I will never understand the back biting and need to trash other peoples ideas or systems, it benefits no one. You are all in the same boat.
    sorry Ollie but I wasn't the one asking for a 'premium' My milk buyer wants cross bred milk and will build shinny kit if nessercary and as for letting the market decide = until very recently the market hasnt worked in the UK now we havea multinational co op at work it will function much better. back to the other place very little personal abuse there.

lazy

Lazy Farmer... You are right the market will decide and up until recently the market was LIQUID and its needed 365 days a year !! but now the liquid market has far too much and cheese and powder cant use all the surplus the market is 17ppl How many spring calving herds can make money at 17ppl. I did not blame spring calving herds, but there is far too much in the spring and as we will see in the autumn we will be short !!! and there has to be a balance.

May be the guys who block calve should be asked to pay the fixed costs of the milk plants even when the are not supplying milk, why should it just be the guys who produce 365 days a year pay to keep the plants there for them !!!

I would also say that block calving is more efficient than AYR. Doesn't really matter - either spring or autumn.

Regarding paying a premium - no. Seasonality deductions/payments are about right. Imo.

Lazy - love your input as it's always interesting and informative.

Undoubtedly the market will ultimately be the deciding factor for milk production in this country but it is on a 20 odd year cycle.

Too much new production capacity built to avoid CGT with no real thought about marketing other than providing a job for up coming family members who may (or may not) want to tie themselves into the lifestyle.
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

Regarding the OP, it really depends how much value the supermarkets, processors and customers put on getting fresh milk 365 days a year. The UK could quite easily be processing and selling UHT to level out supply issues. Having moved from AYR to more of a block calving there is now way I would go back, infact if I was made to I think I would probably pack up milking cows.

Argyll are you on a level supply?

Quote Originally Posted by Moors Farmer View Post
    I would also say that block calving is more efficient than AYR. Doesn't really matter - either spring or autumn.

Regarding paying a premium - no. Seasonality deductions/payments are about right. Imo.

Lazy - love your input as it's always interesting and informative.
    Please define "Efficient".

That is a nonsense term. Are you seriously telling me that it is more "efficient" to calve say 100 cows over 3 weeks, work your milking equipment flat out for 60 days then see a gradual decline until they stand idle? Or is it more "efficient" to run everything just about at capacity 365 days with you & your staff in a regular rhythm?

in reply to the OP

there's already a premium paid to ayr calving by the likes of dairy crest, when we were with them there was a .5ppl premium for level supply, plus the big seasonality which made the difference between the high and low end of supply quite dramatic, although it did still favour spring block calving just about..according to various consultancy costings on the difference between spring block and ayr or autumn. but this could be changed with very little notice. the new contract we're on requires a level supply and offers a premium price because of it.

"Let the market decide" well the market has decided, and it says there's to much milk around at the moment, we haven't got the processing capacity for it so the market says: under 20p for you.

Our peak surplus will probably only last for April and May, too short a time for more investment in new processing, maybe up the capacity of some existing processing, but having a 2 month surplus putting downward pressure on our milk price is more beneficial to the big players than making a couple of pence a litre from the extra milk

April/May over supply coincides with spring block calvers peak output. Our national milk market is being put into a weak bargaining position so spring calvers can make a quid from their super efficient management, this weak bargaining position carries forward for a lot longer than the spring flush.

The is strengthening is further compounding our problems and a possible interest rate rise next spring will make a stronger and increased bank charges for dairy farms, this coupled with quota removal and probable higher peak spring flush makes this spring look like a bonanza compared to what next spring could bring

That is a nonsense term. Are you seriously telling me that it is more "efficient" to calve say 100 cows over 3 weeks, work your milking equipment flat out for 60 days then see a gradual decline until they stand idle? Or is it more "efficient" to run everything just about at capacity 365 days with you & your staff in a regular rhythm?
    sorry but ultimately it has to be efficient for the farmer otherwise there is no milk. Just as with the 95% of the NZ and Irish industries it is more efficient to have equipment lying idle for a period than it is to put expensively produced milk through it. turnover is vanity and profit is sanity. Personally I love not having to face a frozen parlour for 8 weeks in the winter. Staff in a regular rhythm? hmmm that to me sounds like over staffing and inefficient. producing extra litres to cover costs that shouldn't be there in the first place. for example how many groups of youngstock do you have and how much time on average do they require?

lazy

A regular rhythm! - what? on a dairy farm, in mid summer, on a Sunday afternoon, during silage time - Are you really telling me you can manage your herd to the same consistent high standard? - come on! how many AIs get missed?, how many calves don't quite get looked at properly? There is no way a small farm can keep the standard up 24/7 - 1000 cow farm maybe.

You can really focus on really getting it right with your block calving -

Vet is focused

Cows are focused and cant hide if they don't get their act together.

Spring calving if your ground can take it or autumn if its wet.

To get the attention to detail AYR, you would be spending a fortune on staff to keep the up the same level of detail in comparison (yes I know your robot helps, fully agree)

Your Autumn Block -The staff have the time in the autumn to get the dry cows 100%, A strict routine to calve cows, the wet winter days for milking - sure milking is longer, but why worry?? what else you going to be doing?, then its sunshine, the cows are out and we have the time for planting, silage time and farm building construction etc

Block calving gets more done, to a higher standard, for a lower cost. Balance Autumn and spring production if you want.

That is my contribution. Good bye for now.

Quote Originally Posted by pellow View Post
    "Let the market decide" well the market has decided, and it says there's to much milk around at the moment, we haven't got the processing capacity for it so the market says: under 20p for you.

Our peak surplus will probably only last for April and May, too short a time for more investment in new processing, maybe up the capacity of some existing processing, but having a 2 month surplus putting downward pressure on our milk price is more beneficial to the big players than making a couple of pence a litre from the extra milk

April/May over supply coincides with spring block calvers peak output. Our national milk market is being put into a weak bargaining position so spring calvers can make a quid from their super efficient management, this weak bargaining position carries forward for a lot longer than the spring flush.

The is strengthening is further compounding our problems and a possible interest rate rise next spring will make a stronger and increased bank charges for dairy farms, this coupled with quota removal and probable higher peak spring flush makes this spring look like a bonanza compared to what next spring could bring

bollocks we now work in a global market with global processors get used to it. small surpluses in the UK are irrelevant. Our milk price is now set globally not locally. The price we receive is now based on whether global production is in surplus or not and a "floor" put into the market by the relative efficiencies of the US and NZ dairy industries. much more of our production now gets turned into products that are internationally traded. Our "local" market has been used against us and as such should be by passed. As for next spring -If your that worried get out whilst the goings good.On the other hand we will have more capacity next year, a stronger pound makes our inputs cheaper, most of us aren't borrowed to the hilt and who knows what next years spring will produce and what world demand will be then(OH apparently you do)

lazy

Quote Originally Posted by Newholland View Post
    A regular rhythm! - what? on a dairy farm, in mid summer, on a Sunday afternoon, during silage time - Are you really telling me you can manage your herd to the same consistent high standard? - come on! how many AIs get missed?, how many calves don't quite get looked at properly? There is no way a small farm can keep the standard up 24/7 - 1000 cow farm maybe.

You can really focus on really getting it right with your block calving -

Vet is focused

Cows are focused and cant hide if they don't get their act together.

Spring calving if your ground can take it or autumn if its wet.

To get the attention to detail AYR, you would be spending a fortune on staff to keep the up the same level of detail in comparison (yes I know your robot helps, fully agree)

Your Autumn Block -The staff have the time in the autumn to get the dry cows 100%, A strict routine to calve cows, the wet winter days for milking - sure milking is longer, but why worry?? what else you going to be doing?, then its sunshine, the cows are out and we have the time for planting, silage time and farm building construction etc

Block calving gets more done, to a higher standard, for a lower cost. Balance Autumn and spring production if you want.

That is my contribution. Good bye for now.
    Absolutely .......... we are entirely robotic and are even considering putting in auto feed system. Routine is 1 hour in the morning, 1/2 hour pm no clock watching. Very high attention to detail concerning herd health though with our time spent with the cows and the youngstock as needed.
    81% holding to first service using heat time collars/rumination.
    Only family labour at present

But then maybe I'm unique

sorry but ultimately it has to be efficient for the farmer otherwise there is no milk. Just as with the 95% of the NZ and Irish industries it is more efficient to have equipment lying idle for a period than it is to put expensively produced milk through it. turnover is vanity and profit is sanity. Personally I love not having to face a frozen parlour for 8 weeks in the winter. Staff in a regular rhythm? hmmm that to me sounds like over staffing and inefficient. producing extra litres to cover costs that shouldn't be there in the first place. for example how many groups of youngstock do you have and how much time on average do they require?

lazy
    About to go up to 300 cows so will have 150 followers (currently 100), all with myself, my son & my wife part time. Young stock take me less than an hour to feed from babies to point of bulling heifers. I would say that's pretty "efficient" with the milking equipment running 24/7.

Very little owned machinery & high use of contractors

Absolutely .......... we are entirely robotic and are even considering putting in auto feed system. Routine is 1 hour in the morning, 1/2 hour pm no clock watching. Very high attention to detail concerning herd health though with our time spent with the cows and the youngstock as needed.

That's impressive.

bollocks we now work in a global market with global processors get used to it. small surpluses in the UK are irrelevant. Our milk price is now set globally not locally. The price we receive is now based on whether global production is in surplus or not and a "floor" put into the market by the relative efficiencies of the US and NZ dairy industries. much more of our production now gets turned into products that are internationally traded. Our "local" market has been used against us and as such should be by passed. As for next spring -If your that worried get out whilst the goings good.On the other hand we will have more capacity next year, a stronger pound makes our inputs cheaper, most of us aren't borrowed to the hilt and who knows what next years spring will produce and what world demand will be then(OH apparently you do)

lazy
    Hurrah! Lazy and I agree (as i'm sure we would on most things). I always find it amazing that India is No1 world producers in terms of litres with Pakistan at No3. But my own innate antenna is telling me that water in the next few decades will be the absolute key to the dairy industry. If you have water, you're laughing no matter what your system. USA have major problems with salinity and a shortage of water in some of their key dairy states. But in a global market, things change rapidly but unfortunately it takes farms longer to react.

What your doing is impressive BR - it is really nice to see somebody getting on with things and doing a very good job - fully agree and am pleased for you.

So long as all the technology needed easily pays for itself - before its worn out and also the rest of the farm doesn't suffer through lack of money.

I don't know much, I really don't, but high running costs and out dated electronics frighten me. I often wonder how sustainable all the modern dairy farm stuff really is....given the money it cost. It would be easy to side line farm profit to prop this kind of system up?

Any how, back to AYR and the higher milk price Each to their own

Spring block calving herds dont actually produce that much milk. Most are yielding around 5000 - 6000l, so it takes 200 cows at 5000l to produce 1 million litres of milk.

What Im trying to get at is AYR calving herds pushing high yields are just as much to blame for over production. Take my 200 cows but now doing 10,000l, now the processor has 2 million litres of probably low quality milk to deal with!

Quote Originally Posted by Manney View Post
    Spring block calving herds dont actually produce that much milk. Most are yielding around 5000 - 6000l, so it takes 200 cows at 5000l to produce 1 million litres of milk.

What Im trying to get at is AYR calving herds pushing high yields are just as much to blame for over production. Take my 200 cows but now doing 10,000l, now the processor has 2 million litres of probably low quality milk to deal with!
    This is something else processors are looking at too ......... hence Arla's "fat tax".

There could easily be a double whammy around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Newholland View Post
    What your doing is impressive BR - it is really nice to see somebody getting on with things and doing a very good job - fully agree and am pleased for you.

So long as all the technology needed easily pays for itself - before its worn out and also the rest of the farm doesn't suffer through lack of money.

I don't know much, I really don't, but high running costs and out dated electronics frighten me. I often wonder how sustainable all the modern dairy farm stuff really is....given the money it cost. It would be easy to side line farm profit to prop this kind of system up?

Any how, back to AYR and the higher milk price Each to their own
    Help .. I don't want to hog the thread but there a few misconceptions in there NH.

Robots are no more costly to buy & install than a high end parlour - possibly a bit less but there is good 2d hand value. I am well aware that, like computing, robotics moves relatively quickly hence why so much of it is plug & play with updates either remotely or at service time. We are finding them very reliable.

We are now reaching the stage when the farm is working hard and every acre is "washing its face" (Dreadful expression but does the job) and with cheap money & the ability to fix it for 10 years, financing to go forward is not something to be frightened of. All our budgeting is done on a 6ppl (B&W) drop as the starting point.
    Technology should be embraced ....... though not in tractors - I sat in a Fendt recently and didn't have a clue.