Thread: SJ4000 video cam

SJ4000 video cam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRufFRnsBaU

(View at 1080p on youtube if you can)

This little GoPro look-a-like camera really is very good for the money.

It comes with a large range of mounts which appear to be almost the same as GoPro options.
    There's a frame style case which clips around it, and that has regular tripod mounts on the top and bottom so all manner of ingenious mounting options could be used.

There's a good waterproof or dust/dirt proof, rigid clear plastic case - which means you could mount it in quite risky locations, and even if it did get damaged it's not that big a deal with prices from 54 direct from China or about 70 on ebay.

Here I have clipped it to the window fastener and was impressed by the way it copes with driving in and out of the shed.
    In fact it does very well in low light, and the sound is reasonable too (when not in the sealed case)
    It can do still photos of moderate quality.
    There's a timelapse intervalometer with options for 5/10/20 seconds.

It breaks the recordings into three minute long sequences on the mini-SD card, and they are typically between 300 and 350MB
    I'm using a Class 4 card which I already had from a phone but a 32GB class 10 card can be had for little more than 10

The video has not been tweaked in any way.
    It is the default 1080p/30fps setting.
    However I have rendered for youtube using Adobe Premiere at optimal settings.

One negative point is that the battery does not seem to last much more than 90 minutes.
    You can also get a 2nd battery but swapping them over is fiddly and any settings even the date will be lost so not a good option.
    You can record continuously while connected to charge though (mini-USB).

You can also set it to start recording automatically whenever the power is connected, and overwrite the card continuously, so it could be used as a permanent dashcam.

In short, good quality video in a very affordable package.

Full review here
    http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/2/3...

Last edited by 4wd; 13-05-14 at 08:13 AM.

Re: SJ4000 video cam

Thanks 4WD, looks like an interesting camera.

The comments section of that review seems to suggest that there is a 2 second intervalometer built in to the camera as people are asking for a faster 0.5 second option, is this not the case then? I'm really intrigued by these cameras and adding them to a drone but I'll want decent stills as well as movie footage from them. If this is running at 30fps are the stills extracted from a movie any good?
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

I'll edit that - I looked at the setting and thought it was a self-timer offering 5/10/20 seconds but it does indeed to timelapse mode.
    However the stills aren't just as impressive as the video somehow.

These Chinese camera specs do vary, I suspect they come from various sources so there are sometimes inexplicable minor differences in what you actually get.

Would this be the camera I'd need for the front of our Loadall to watch loading practices and record the weigh display?
    When ever the milk drops a couple of millilitres at our place, the finger is always pointed at the Loadall driver for altering the mix.
    'Guilty, until proven innocent' and all that.
    I was thinking I could prove my innocents with a camera like that.

It would probably do that job, even if not switched on

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    I'll edit that - I looked at the setting and thought it was a self-timer offering 5/10/20 seconds but it does indeed to timelapse mode.
    However the stills aren't just as impressive as the video somehow.

These Chinese camera specs do vary, I suspect they come from various sources so there are sometimes inexplicable minor differences in what you actually get.
    I am out if my depth here, but would the video be interlaced? If so, is a still from the video actually half a frame, if you see what I mean?

(For God sake don't ask me to explain that!).

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I am out if my depth here, but would the video be interlaced? If so, is a still from the video actually half a frame, if you see what I mean?

(For God sake don't ask me to explain that!).
    Can you explain that?

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    Can you explain that?
    Enjoy!

Interlacing (bitmaps)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interlacing (also known as interleaving) is a method of encoding a bitmap image such that a person who has partially received it sees a degraded copy of the entire image. When communicating over a slow communications link, this is often preferable to seeing a perfectly clear copy of one part of the image, as it helps the viewer decide more quickly whether to abort or continue the transmission.
    Interlacing is supported by the following formats, where it is optional:

• GIF interlacing stores the lines in the order 0, 8, 16, ...(8n), 4, 12, ...(8n+4), 2, 6, 10, 14, ...(4n+2), 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, ...(2n+1).
    • PNG uses the Adam7 algorithm, which interlaces in both the vertical and horizontal direction.
    • TGA uses two optional interlacing algorithms, two-way: 0, 2, 4, ...(2n), 1, 3, ...(2n+1) and four-way: 0, 4, 8, ...(4n), 1, 5, ...(4n+1), 2, 6, ...(4n+2), 3, 7, ...(4n+3).
    • JPEG, JPEG 2000, and JPEG XR (actually using a frequency decomposition hierarchy rather than interlacing of pixel values)
    • PGF (also using a frequency decomposition)

Interlacing is a form of incremental decoding, because the image can be loaded incrementally. Another form of incremental decoding is progressive scan. In progressive scan the loaded image is decoded line for line, so instead of becoming incrementally clearer it becomes incrementally larger. The main difference between the interlace concept in bitmaps and in video is that even progressive bitmaps can be loaded over multiple frames.
    For example: Interlaced GIF is a GIF image that seems to arrive on your display like an image coming through a slowly opening Venetian blind. A fuzzy outline of an image is gradually replaced by seven successive waves of bit streams that fill in the missing lines until the image arrives at its full resolution.
    Interlaced graphics were once widely used in web design and before that in the distribution of graphics files over bulletin board systems and other low-speed communications methods. The practice is much less common today, as common broadband internet connections allow most images to be downloaded to the user's screen nearly instantaneously, and interlacing is usually an inefficient method of encoding images.[citation needed]
    Interlacing has been criticized because it may not be clear to viewers when the image has finished rendering, unlike non-interlaced rendering, where progress is apparent (remaining data appears as blank).[1]

I bought one of these cameras and have been very impressed with it so far. I am converting to ProRes422 and using Final Cut Pro 7 on a Mac Pro for editing. I don't know if I am doing anything wrong (probably!) but the rendering times are horrendous! Think 19 hours for a ten minute video! I gather it is simpler with Adobe Premier. Any more video geeks out there?

Don't know the first thing about macs, but time taken to render increases hugely if you change anything to do with resolution or frame rate.
    For example you filmed in 1080p but think you'll reduce it to 720p so it uploads quicker: it will take at least twice as long to render.

If you're rendering for youtube or vimeo use the H264 option.
    I like the bitrate on 10 with peaks of 20 allowed. Doing two passes seems to make little difference but makes it take far longer so try single pass.
    Leave audio on whatever it defaults too.

I am sure to be doing something wrong as I haven't seen any other comments about rendering time! At least, not the times I am having to wait. I'll keep experimenting. Thanks for the advice. I'll try it.

Just applied a Firmware update for this camera which immensely improves the JPGs from it.
    In typical Chinese fashion you need go careful and work out which version you need yourself.
    http://metropolitanmonkey.blogspot.d...-firmware.html

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Just applied a Firmware update for this camera which immensely improves the JPGs from it.
    In typical Chinese fashion you need go careful and work out which version you need yourself.
    http://metropolitanmonkey.blogspot.d...-firmware.html

Was the wind blowing really hard 4WD or is there slight distortion in the picture? The overhead wire appears to be defying gravity a bit

It's very wide angle, like all these action cam types - you can correct it but doing so crops a fair bit off the edges!

The sj4000 has a fisheye lens. I think 170 degrees. So distortion is inevitable. But how much do you expect for 68?

I've discovered that the GoPro editing software seems to work with the sj4000 too.

http://gopro.com/software-app/gopro-...-edit-software

That looks really good! Very tempted to get one actually.
    Most 'normal' cameras (phone etc.) struggle to catch a wide enough angle to show action from short distances and oddly barrel distortion seems perfectly acceptable to the eye.
    Last edited by v12cat; 09-07-14 at 01:03 PM.

Hopefully one is on it's way to me. Machinery action videos to come!!

I don't know much about the actual rendering or editing process when it comes to videos but I do know that the hardware required to do these kind of tasks needs to be pretty good if you want them done in a timely fashion. As such it might be that videos done in high resolutions might not be the ideal workload for a bargain basement Dell workstation.

That said you can read the forums for the best software and hints to make the process a bit more straightforward and also reduce the burden on your PC.

The wife in her wisdom has just got me a sj4000 for my birthday !! Great fun ,, well worth the money not sure how to post on here so search for flowerpower flowerbulbs and have a look
    thanks

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4RJCh8dBgPM

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolknomad View Post
    The wife in her wisdom has just got me a sj4000 for my birthday !! Great fun ,, well worth the money not sure how to post on here so search for flowerpower flowerbulbs and have a look
    thanks

I'd not have thought to stick it on the end of the boom like that, very impressive! Welcome to the forum by the way, also do you know why it is picking up sound presumably from the boom but doesn't seem to have the engine note on there? Looking forward to seeing more impressively fine soil in upcoming clips

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    I'd not have thought to stick it on the end of the boom like that, very impressive! Welcome to the forum by the way, also do you know why it is picking up sound presumably from the boom but doesn't seem to have the engine note on there? Looking forward to seeing more impressively fine soil in upcoming clips
    I assume it was in it's waterproof case. When they are, they tend to pick up sounds from things they are connected to but not airborne sounds from nearby. The waterproof case comes with another back that has two slots in, allowing sound to get in. I find that quite a bit of dust gets in with that back fitted.

I bought a strong magnet from ebay and stuck one of the clip mounts on it. Great for this type of shot, but did need a tab bolting to it so I could actually get it off things!!

A short wholecrop video shot using my SJ4000. No long shots unfortunately as I didn't have anyone to take them!!

First time out with the MacDon and 900 together so taking it slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolknomad View Post
    thanks

To put a youtube clip into a post do this-

Click the film icon

This will open up this drop down box where you simply copy & paste in the URL address for the youtube clip & click OK