Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: vitamin drench for sheep

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    norfolk
    Posts
    91

    vitamin drench for sheep

    Looking for some help.

    Looking for good general purpose vitamin drench products for ewes and maybe lambs.

    Any suggestions on companies and prices would be great.

    Found what I think might be a good deal on a Net-Tex drench but for some reason they don`t tell you how much to give? I know it can vary between 10-20ml. It might not be so good if I have to give 20ml!. It was 30 for 3.5 litres ( It comes as buy 2.5l and get 1l free).

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glamorgan
    Posts
    1,914

    Re: vitamin drench for sheep

    Multivits only 2ml think dose was when I had sheep- tremendous responce- well worth doing and every month or so .

  3. #3
    Senior Member Nithsdale Farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Dumfries-shire
    Posts
    470

    Re: vitamin drench for sheep

    Use Carrs Multivit: Cobalt, Selenium, B12. Some years i think drenches do something, other years i question it.....

    Used Osmonds stuff one year on hill lambs when then were weaned, dad thought it was a wonder product - i thought the lambs (which were good sized and doing well anyway) responded well to going onto a re-seed foggage field with lots of clover........

    Carrs stuff is 50 for 5litres and its like a 5ml dose so goes a long way!! Osmonds stuff cant remember price now (think 20 or 30 for 1litre) and it was a 10ml dose.

    Didnt use any last year dont intend to use any this year.
    If in doubt, yank it out!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    164

    Re: vitamin drench for sheep

    Blood test to check for deficiencies??? Could be cheaper in the long run

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Hereford
    Posts
    185

    Re: vitamin drench for sheep

    Personally think boluses are much better. Drenches pass through too quickly, some vitamins are not easily absorbed by the animal. We used to use drench, but gave up. One of the thick vitamin drenches promoted a study done to prove its effectiveness, which we were told was highly unreliable. If your treating breeding animals then would recommend a bolus.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    norfolk
    Posts
    91

    Re: vitamin drench for sheep

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew100 View Post
    Personally think boluses are much better. Drenches pass through too quickly, some vitamins are not easily absorbed by the animal. We used to use drench, but gave up. One of the thick vitamin drenches promoted a study done to prove its effectiveness, which we were told was highly unreliable. If your treating breeding animals then would recommend a bolus.
    Thanks for the help.

    Perhaps I should change the question then. What bolus`s to use and whats the cost??

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    296

    Re: vitamin drench for sheep

    Quote Originally Posted by robbo12 View Post
    Thanks for the help.

    Perhaps I should change the question then. What bolus`s to use and whats the cost??
    Do boluses not vary in content? You need to know what you are supplementing before choosing a product---

    what are your animals deficient in ?

    have you done any blood tests?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    north norfolk
    Posts
    572

    Re: vitamin drench for sheep

    agree with the blood test.....i've had a protracted lambing and disappointing lambing % ....deficiency could be answer as my soil is high in molybdenam (sic),,,that restricts uptake of minerals

    think bolus' last 6 months and cost about a quid/head

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montgomeryshire
    Posts
    867

    Re: vitamin drench for sheep

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    Do boluses not vary in content? You need to know what you are supplementing before choosing a product---

    what are your animals deficient in ?

    have you done any blood tests?
    +1

    Absolutely essential starting point IMO, rather than falling for the snake oil salesmen's patter. Some of the margins on this stuff is almost criminal, especially if you don't need it.

    I use boluses to treat the breeding sheep with Cu and Se, both of which are short here. As posted, they last about 6 months and cost about 1 or so. I also use a drench to treat lambs for the same (but Cu mostly, as tied up by high Moly), and currently use a product called 'Welsh Drench' http://www.thewelshdrench.co.uk/product/ Which costs 198 for 5L but very concentrated so low dose per animal. Cost is 8p for a 2ml lamb dose.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ladycrofter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    661

    Re: vitamin drench for sheep

    Glad to see this thread - Think I will need to start a minerals program, boluses sound best for adults and drench lambs later on. We are high molyb and low Sel and E.

    I always jag lambs with 0.5ml vitasel at a day or two old, but this year I still had a few looking wobbly and shaking a few days later, even tho otherwise healthy and weather pretty good. Another 1ml viasel and they were up and away, so something happened this winter? spring? to make us extra low in Sel and E. Was unexpected because the ewes were well fit all winter - but I had nearly all singles where I normally have almost all twins.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    norfolk
    Posts
    91

    Re: vitamin drench for sheep

    Quote Originally Posted by ladycrofter View Post
    Glad to see this thread - Think I will need to start a minerals program, boluses sound best for adults and drench lambs later on. We are high molyb and low Sel and E.

    I always jag lambs with 0.5ml vitasel at a day or two old, but this year I still had a few looking wobbly and shaking a few days later, even tho otherwise healthy and weather pretty good. Another 1ml viasel and they were up and away, so something happened this winter? spring? to make us extra low in Sel and E. Was unexpected because the ewes were well fit all winter - but I had nearly all singles where I normally have almost all twins.
    That's where this all started from as I have had more singles this year than usual but the ewes have been as fit this winter as I have seen them for a few years.

    I wondered if it was a back lash from lastyears spring weather. I think the grass never really recovered from the late spring.

    Thinking of a vitamin drench/bolus now then one approx mid October, 4wks pre tupping.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Nithsdale Farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Dumfries-shire
    Posts
    470

    Re: vitamin drench for sheep

    Quote Originally Posted by robbo12 View Post
    That's where this all started from as I have had more singles this year than usual but the ewes have been as fit this winter as I have seen them for a few years.

    I wondered if it was a back lash from lastyears spring weather. I think the grass never really recovered from the late spring.

    Thinking of a vitamin drench/bolus now then one approx mid October, 4wks pre tupping.

    More likely the good summer and autumn pulled your % back. With the abundance of grass everywhere your ewes would be getting too fit too early so had already flushed by the time your rams went out. Heard a few complaints of that around the country - just a thought, and its what i would guess at, without seeing/knowing your sheep.

    I will probably get shot down for this but i will say it anyways. I personally wouldnt bother bolusing ewes at this time of year (the less you have to bring ewes and lambs in and work with them the better), much more important to do the ewes pre-tupping so the bolus works throughout the pregnancy.
    If in doubt, yank it out!

  13. #13
    Senior Member ladycrofter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    661

    Re: vitamin drench for sheep

    Sounds good, thanks. Will go with the bolus for longer-lasting effect maybe, as said 4 wks pre-tupping, and again at pre-lambing worming. I have never bloused sheep, but it has to be easier than cattle.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    north norfolk
    Posts
    572

    Re: vitamin drench for sheep

    Quote Originally Posted by bishop View Post
    Blood test to check for deficiencies??? Could be cheaper in the long run
    how much are blood tests?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: vitamin drench for sheep

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    +1

    Absolutely essential starting point IMO, rather than falling for the snake oil salesmen's patter. Some of the margins on this stuff is almost criminal, especially if you don't need it.

    I use boluses to treat the breeding sheep with Cu and Se, both of which are short here. As posted, they last about 6 months and cost about 1 or so. I also use a drench to treat lambs for the same (but Cu mostly, as tied up by high Moly), and currently use a product called 'Welsh Drench' http://www.thewelshdrench.co.uk/product/ Which costs 198 for 5L but very concentrated so low dose per animal. Cost is 8p for a 2ml lamb dose.
    Hell Neil, are you feeling alright? Have I finally convinced you about the drench/bolus/mineral vs lick thing or did you know it all along you were just winding me up?!

    Have a dairy customer who uses mineral drenches in his cattle, absolutely swears by them and he is no idiot and has serious cows.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1

    Re: vitamin drench for sheep

    Have a look at www.welshfarmsupplies.co.uk. Product information and testimonials.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1

    Red face Re: vitamin drench for sheep

    Welsh Farm Supplies getting great feed back on the website www.welshfarmsupplies.co.uk. Worth having a look. This is a targeted drench, low dose and cost effective. Also suitable for cattle. Don't need to buy separate drench.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Denbighshire
    Posts
    19

    Re: vitamin drench for sheep

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    Do boluses not vary in content? You need to know what you are supplementing before choosing a product---

    what are your animals deficient in ?

    have you done any blood tests?
    Last year following a poor flushing, A.I and dreadful conception rate I blood tested 10% of my flock for cobalt, selenium copper deficiency etc etc.
    Somewhat disappointed to receive positive results in the form of "all ok no deficiency "!

    Vet advised " do nothing, no drench , no blouses , you'll be wasting your money! "

    I followed the advice, saved a lot of money (which incidentally I would have been happy to have spent to improve matters) and with no change in practice this year has been remarkably different and positive.

    Cost of blood tests was a fifth of the cost of what I would have spent on Boluses & applicator, not to mention time and stress to the flock.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •