Thread: MF 6480 spool repair

MF 6480 spool repair

Have a few niggles with the spools, some don't stay in float anymore, an after I had a look into it all the little ball bearings that keep it in position are rusted and seized, does anyone know if you can get replacement parts, I don't want to buy a whole new spool slice

Re: MF 6480 spool repair

Parts not available through agco but replacement detent kits are available through cnh dealers if you have a cnh dealer locally take a few pictures in to them but price around as we have been quoted anything from £111 to. £156 for the part I will get you cnh part no. Tomorrow

Thanks, what model has same spools? I have an maxcum115 and they are different

Quote Originally Posted by Andy6480 View Post
    Thanks, what model has same spools? I have an maxcum115 and they are different
    The block on my 6470 (CCLS) appears to be the same as the NH TM. Not sure if anything else blue had these as the previous 60 series had the same as the 40s and the newer T6000 etc are probably the same as your maxxum.

The spools on the TM are not without fault either. Sometimes cable adjustment helps it staying in float, but there is often rusty water under the cap that ruins things.

They are hydac spools but still struggling for parts, cnh dealer hasn't come up with much yet

The spools are a pain. The answer to fix an electric spool is too put a new slice in at approx £1,000

These are manual, all work just won't stay in float which isn't good for front linkage

These are manual, all work just won't stay in float which isn't good for front linkage
    Are these just a standard manual Bosch valve?
    Only have experience of them in blue ones.
    When you have removed the cover from around the detent cage is it dry? Any oil in there will 'lock out' the float position.
    Why can't you strip, clean and de seize and re grease the detent cage?
    Are the cables properly adjusted? Common fault on TM's, pull the lever back into pump, slacken retaining clamps, pull lever back as far as possible and tighten clamp.

Not dry, wet and rusty! It's nothing to do with cable adjustment. They say hydac on them. They are so corroded that un seizing is impossible as some of the parts have rotted away

Not dry, wet and rusty! It's nothing to do with cable adjustment. They say hydac on them. They are so corroded that un seizing is impossible as some of the parts have rotted away

Anything here resemble them?

http://www.hydacusa.com/mdcv/mdcv.htm

Not realy, the number on mine is R1 525 503

Quote Originally Posted by little red tractor View Post
    Parts not available through agco but replacement detent kits are available through cnh dealers if you have a cnh dealer locally take a few pictures in to them but price around as we have been quoted anything from £111 to. £156 for the part I will get you cnh part no. Tomorrow
    Any luck getting that part number?

Any luck getting that part number?
    87384898 is the superceded part number for a TM detent kit. But remember this is a Bosch valve so without lots of checking may be as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by prongy View Post
    87384898 is the superceded part number for a TM detent kit. But remember this is a Bosch valve so without lots of checking may be as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle.
    Mine definetly say hydac on them

Mine definetly say hydac on them
    Similar ones on a MF 6490 from carrs/billington were £150 each. Just replaced them on the works tractor.

Everyone is assuming that because it is a 6480 it will have ccls hydraulics. Some dealers sold many of them with open centre hydraulics. These will have smaller spool slices with a flow divider on the right hand end of the bock. No individual valve flow control and some slices will have large caps with four position levers which include float, while the other slices will not have float or even a detent in some cases. The ones without float might have a screw to convert them from single to double acting.
    The open centre system has a hotch-potch of slice types fitted. A bloody disgrace in my opinion, especially as one will have zero leak while neighbouring vales will leak back like sieves. This has been the same for decades and nobody will dare improve and simplify the setup. All they need do is fit four position zero-leak slices across the board.

The point is, have you open centre or closed centre spools fitted? If they are open centre, which is very possible on a standard build machine, be aware that not all slices will have float function.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 02-06-14 at 02:02 PM.
    © The Duck 2015

It has closed centre hydraulics, I'd put on a picture but I struggle to get them on here

It has closed centre hydraulics, I'd put on a picture but I struggle to get them on here
    These will be Bosch slices as mentioned by several other. Not sure what parts will be made by Hydac on these. Maybe a filter housing or valve?
    © The Duck 2015

It has hydac on the end caps of the spool slices

Then your dealer is your best bet.
    © The Duck 2015

I appreciate this is now an old thread but just trying to get some help. Got a Massey 6480 with ccls hydraulics. It lost the locking in on the spool levers, so I removed the alloy cover on the back with the 2 Allen keys had a fiddle about and put the cover back on.

Now the spool move easily on the lever but it wonít correctly work on the lower side (negative Iíd call it) of the spool. It will work on the positive side but when going to negative itís almost as though it canít get the oil back into the block on the returning side. Got it on a round baler with a pressure gauge on and thatís going way past the red (which it doesnít usually) when trying to close the door, and the door just wonít lower. I have to put the pipes in another spool to get tge door to come down.

I played around with it yesterday had the end cap on and off around 12 times trying to see if Iíd missed anything but all seems ok. Am I missing something or have a knackered the slice when Iíve been moving the lever with cap removed and no spring pressure? Iím at a bit of a loss really. Under the cap the spring is broken (but is still applying force) and the 2 metal rings that hold the 3 fingers in place are rotted away, but Iíve got those from what I can tell in the correct place.

Massey donít do the parts to repair the detent apparently but Iím told cnh do a kit which would give me the bits I need. However I donít want to spend £150/£200 if Iíve buggered the slice..

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisyb11 View Post
    I appreciate this is now an old thread but just trying to get some help. Got a Massey 6480 with ccls hydraulics. It lost the locking in on the spool levers, so I removed the alloy cover on the back with the 2 Allen keys had a fiddle about and put the cover back on.

Now the spool move easily on the lever but it wonít correctly work on the lower side (negative Iíd call it) of the spool. It will work on the positive side but when going to negative itís almost as though it canít get the oil back into the block on the returning side. Got it on a round baler with a pressure gauge on and thatís going way past the red (which it doesnít usually) when trying to close the door, and the door just wonít lower. I have to put the pipes in another spool to get tge door to come down.

I played around with it yesterday had the end cap on and off around 12 times trying to see if Iíd missed anything but all seems ok. Am I missing something or have a knackered the slice when Iíve been moving the lever with cap removed and no spring pressure? Iím at a bit of a loss really. Under the cap the spring is broken (but is still applying force) and the 2 metal rings that hold the 3 fingers in place are rotted away, but Iíve got those from what I can tell in the correct place.

Massey donít do the parts to repair the detent apparently but Iím told cnh do a kit which would give me the bits I need. However I donít want to spend £150/£200 if Iíve buggered the slice..
    I hesitate to display my lack of knowledge, but my MF4225 can have the levers work either double acting cylinders or single acting rams. It occurs to me that I had it incorrectly set at one stage, so I was trying to operate a single acting ram when the valve was set to double acting - and nothing worked!. Any chance your fiddling changed the setting?

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    I hesitate to display my lack of knowledge, but my MF4225 can have the levers work either double acting cylinders or single acting rams. It occurs to me that I had it incorrectly set at one stage, so I was trying to operate a single acting ram when the valve was set to double acting - and nothing worked!. Any chance your fiddling changed the setting?

JV
    Thanks for the reply John. We have a 5465 that works similar to yours, where you have to wind a wing nut in/out to operate as single or double acting.

The spools on the 6480 have 4 positions on the lever in the cab, positive (back) neutral (centre), negative(forward) and float(pushed completely forward) if that makes sense. They quite a bit different.

Ive been thinking and I twisted the shaft to try and get to see the ball bearings that should lock the spool in position Iím wondering if Iíve altered the position of something on that shaft, Iíll try again for an hour this morning. One of those jobs that you spend hours on but get no where..

Thanks for replying though!!

Thanks for the reply John. We have a 5465 that works similar to yours, where you have to wind a wing nut in/out to operate as single or double acting.

The spools on the 6480 have 4 positions on the lever in the cab, positive (back) neutral (centre), negative(forward) and float(pushed completely forward) if that makes sense. They quite a bit different.

Ive been thinking and I twisted the shaft to try and get to see the ball bearings that should lock the spool in position Iím wondering if Iíve altered the position of something on that shaft, Iíll try again for an hour this morning. One of those jobs that you spend hours on but get no where..

Thanks for replying though!!
    Both the 4225 connectors (not the levers) have the selectors you mention, and one of the two levers has the 4 positions you mention. I can't see that being any help to you, but I thought I'd mention it.

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Pretty sure it wonít be the slice, remove all the stuff in the alloy cap that was for the detents and see if it works in every position, I ended up changing the tractor I never fixed them just used it without detents