Thread: Bogus calls from bank

Bogus calls from bank

Just thought i had better put up a post warning of the bogus calls that my parents received supposedly from the bank and I now learn that they were not the only ones,the first call was from a woman with a scottish accent claiming to be following up several letters asking for updates to the proof of identity held on file ,so next day mother took copies of utility bills etc into local Natwest branch,staff a little confused but one member said they knew of an email regarding the matter so they took copies and all ok,next call later that day was from a man also with a scottish accent claiming to be from the fruad team telling mother that he knew she had been into the bank and asking why as he was investigating branch staff and said that he would put a marker on the account,luckily I was in the background listening to half of the conversation and being suspicious by nature especialy when he asked mother what the balance was on the account and what the overdraft facility was,when prompted by me she he would give his name but said he could be contacted through natwest by asking for the fraud team and after a couple of minutes ended the call,we immediately dialled 1471 number witheld,the next morning mother called the agricultural management team to be told the man from the previous day did not exist and no marker had been put on the account,they are now monitoring the account for suspicious activity!
    Scary especially when my sister said to look at the following article on the North Yorks Police website

http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/13674

I think these lowlife scammers rely on the older generation seeing financial things as private and not to be discussed,my father told mum not to tell anyone!

What would of happened if I had not been around at the time?We have been lucky hopefully no harm done this time but I urge everyone to be on their guard and hopefully by sharing this experience we make people more aware.

Re: Bogus calls from bank

The one doing the rounds up here the caller claims there have been suspicious activities on the account and to ensure security please call the number on the back of the account holders card or the number from a bank statement. The call recipient then hangs up but the caller doesn't thereby holding the line open. When the target then picks up the phone to call the bank on a legitimate number the line to the scammer is still open and they then pretend to be the bank getting as much information as possible.They even play dialling and ring tones down the line to fool the target even if they are being careful.

The advice if this happens is to try to use a different phone to call the bank or at the very least to try making another call before you call the bank.

It's truly astounding the lengths they will go to, to make the whole situation appear genuine.

After reading about the poor Selby farmers in the local paper today, we all agreed that we'd be highly sceptical of the situation that Shrek mentions ... but when they're making efforts to build up the scene beforehand so the alleged suspicious activity seems even more believable ... words fail me!

British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_TM View Post
    It's truly astounding the lengths they will go to, to make the whole situation appear genuine.

After reading about the poor Selby farmers in the local paper today, we all agreed that we'd be highly sceptical of the situation that Shrek mentions ... but when they're making efforts to build up the scene beforehand so the alleged suspicious activity seems even more believable ... words fail me!

The police are cock a hoop claiming that crime is down, but it has just moved online.

it was on radio 4 a few days ago, they advised to never give account info over the phone and take details of the person on the phone, then phone the bank yourself 10 mins later. seems like its the new scam at the moment, be careful!