Thread: 1056 lower link oil seals

1056 lower link oil seals

Hi has any one experience in replacing the lower link seals, mine has a slight leak on both sides and her busy time of year is coming , worst when using the arms and she ll soon be on the mower , whats in there and whats involved in sorting them , thanks

Re: 1056 lower link oil seals

Not a difficult job, I did one on a 955XL years back. IIRR just a question of taking of the lower link arm and a collar. I can't remember if it was a grub screw or roll pin. I think there may have been some shims as well so just keep the thing in order. Again a long time ago but I seem to remember backing the tractor on to a block to tip the oil forward and to on side. Perhaps Gapples or someone else with more knowledge than me will be along soon.

Iirc there is seals in there which are basically like pieces of sponge or foam

they are in deed pieces of hard sponge , done quite a few of these , as said there are shims so keep in order , simple drive out the roll pins in the collars holding the arms on , remove them and as siad all shims, washers etc and keep in order , then with a soft hammer drive the lower link shaft one way enough to get at one seal , remove with suitable screwdriver, replace with new seal and make sure it is seated properly , cover it in oil and then drive the lower link shaft back the other way and do the other side the same , when done drive the lower link shaft back to centre. it will be fairly tight through the new seals so may need quite a bump , be carefull not to damage the rubber gaitor that protects it all .

John has said it all really, just be aware there are bellville washers as well as shims. When you put the link arms back on there should be a slight pre load on the links as yoy drive the roll pins back in.

Thank you so far I may have more to do than just seals you mention belville washers and shims I haven't started to remove anything as yet, just when you mention preload when refitting , my arms have about 15 - 20 mm of float along the shaft with the locking collar, im guessing the washers/ shims are broken and will need replaced

They all used to end up with lots of play on the lower links, its just wear & tear. The bellvilles go like back to back with equal numbers on each side & shims to make up the pre load.
    But the sensing will work better without all the slop.