Thread: Password security

Password security

Re: Password security

I like that

Where I work at we use the 8 character - upper & lower case, numbers, symbols with an enforced change every 30 days and 5 or 6 deep for recycling

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    Where I work at we use the 8 character - upper & lower case, numbers, symbols with an enforced change every 30 days and 5 or 6 deep for recycling
    Christ I'd have no hope there, I'd struggle to think of passwords that often that I could remember for more than 3mins!!!

That's where the trick of visualising something with a faintly ridiculous twist can help!

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    That's where the trick of visualising something with a faintly ridiculous twist can help!
    or you find a pattern of keystrokes that you can remember with an additional "twist" thrown in. The twist - something that would have to be socially engineered for someone to "guess" - like your father's birthday or your grandparents' middle initials or the date you got your latest dog or the date you met your spouse or your spouses's parents' middle initial or . . . something that means something to you

Unfortunately most sites expect us to use the less secure, shorter, easier to forget former system.

It is always a trade-off - risk VS impact of something bad happening.

For example, this site VS my bank - I certainly want my bank account to be as secure - preferably more secure

Its a nice graphic but ultimately its a bit of a misnormer. The more characters in a password the better, that is the crux of the matter. In any event, certain situations, where passwords are required are more secure than others. Hacking into someones hotmail account, for example, would be virtually impossible using a brute force method and I am sure someone might notice if I was trying 1000 guesses per second for a hour much less 3 days.

What does everything think about Password Managers?
    "systems that create strong passwords and store them in one place"

Local paper recommends free LastPass https://lastpass.com/features_free.php
    Is it really safe to trust one site (or "vault" as they call it) to store all our passwords & important data with?
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Someone I know, is v.clever & self taught computer whizz, works in middle management in MOD, uses Google Authenticator. Good enough for me. I was going to get it set up next time we meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_TM View Post
    What does everything think about Password Managers?
    "systems that create strong passwords and store them in one place"

Local paper recommends free LastPass https://lastpass.com/features_free.php
    Is it really safe to trust one site (or "vault" as they call it) to store all our passwords & important data with?
    how good is their security? Do you trust them with ALL your access? What happens if they get Hacked - will your bank still honour any security agreements since you provided your security codes to someone?

I think you should do a risk vs impact analysis - if your access to a site gets hacked, how bad will it be to YOU? How does having your access to this site hacked compare to having your access to your bank hacked?

The other side of the coin is, are they doing it for "free"? If yes, what is in it for them? Marketing info to send you a bunch of spam?

You can get plug-ins for your browser to remember passwords and usernames, and these are then secured with a master password which is again different.

You should also have a strong password for your windows user account. None of these are totally fail safe but it does provide some layered defence. There are a host of forums and similar where you can get hints about how to safe guard yourself online. I've always found if you ask nicely the experts on such places are only too glad to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    I suppose they have to write them down somewhere so that everyone can know what they are!

It isn't that bad if you can think of an 8 letter+ phrase, such as
    fuckutoo and change it to
    %uckU2oo