Thread: Stockboard and hot weather

Stockboard and hot weather

I'm just replacing rotting plywood on a metal frame door with stockboard, but an obvious issue is showing today in that it expands in the sun.
    Admittedly it's laid flat in the yard so the effect is heightened, but this looks to me like replacing with plywood might be better after all?
    I only bought a couple of sheets so far.

Re: Stockboard and hot weather

I've clad a lot of doors etc in stockboard and as long as it's not fastened down on the hottest day of the year it's fine and will outlast any plywood or galv steel sheet. If it stretches too much for you then try plastic coated steel (like box profile tin before it's rolled).

Could always oversize some of the holes in the stock board & use washers to cover.

I'd left it only fastened on around the edge and was surprised it had bowed up between the self tapping screws when I came back to it, just wondered if it might have enough force to gradually come loose!

Yes it will probably come loose with time. You really do have to drill seriously oversize holes in the stokboard and put penny washers under the fixing screws. If you do that, it's pretty good stuff.

You mentioned the sun; we've got some indoors in our handling system and that expands quite a bit to in hot weather.

There is a different product which I can't remember the name of now, it's a similar type of thing but more rigid and less prone to warping. I'll try and remember what it is.

Edit: It's called EcoSheet if I'm remembering the right stuff. Link here. It appears to be expensive and whether you can get it at the moment is unclear, the manufacturers own website suggests production has ceased until the end of 2014. It is supposed to be immune to warping though.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk