Thread: cocrete and concrete slats

cocrete and concrete slats

has anybody used glenium in there concrete I have been told that if I put some in my concrete I wont need to use a vibrating poker for my shuttered walls it finds its own level an no air bubbles in it. also how do people lift cattle slats wanting to sling them in to place what best thing to lift with.

Re: cocrete and concrete slats

We lift in slats with digger. Sling on ballance point. Grids or singles.

I bought some slings, lift about 2 tonne each & are like a continuous loop. Just looped two of them through slats & used pallet forks on loader. My slats weighed about 3/4 ton so no problem for tractor. The slings are much softer on the slats than chains. Never heard of glenium, always used a poker.

I wouldn't risk not poking it additive or not! Poking does more than just getting the air out, it's not exactly the most expensive or strenuous job so why risk not doing it on something so long term ?

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    has anybody used glenium in there concrete I have been told that if I put some in my concrete I wont need to use a vibrating poker for my shuttered walls it finds its own level an no air bubbles in it. also how do people lift cattle slats wanting to sling them in to place what best thing to lift with.
    Not used Glenium (I do not use BASF products for historical reasons) but have used other super plasticizers and water reducers. The amount of water needed to hydrate the cement is so low the mixed would be almost unworkable. Adding more water means it will be weaker but the chemistry of glenium will make it much more fluid and workable for a given amount of water.
    If you make it really high slump (VERY runny) then pokering it quite a bit could cause the bigger agrigate drop down but it but will also increase the pressure on the shutters.
    If possible I ALWAYS poker and have done many many jigger loads. It consolidates and removes viods that can lead to weakening and the start of future spalling.
    Its just because its a long term building job that you SHOULD consolidate it!

Regarding moving the slats. Remember that the rebar in them is designed for a top load pushing downwards and when moving you MUST not reverse that, unless extra rebar is included, check with the makers. So if you put pallet forks under them and lift fast the load in the middle is upward and you may split them along the length, seen it done! Lift slowly with a strop from the ends and the dead load of the slat will keep force downward in the middle. Do not rest then on wood in the middle or "dump" them down!

Regarding moving the slats. Remember that the rebar in them is designed for a top load pushing downwards and when moving you MUST not reverse that, unless extra rebar is included, check with the makers. So if you put pallet forks under them and lift fast the load in the middle is upward and you may split them along the length, seen it done! Lift slowly with a strop from the ends and the dead load of the slat will keep force downward in the middle. Do not rest then on wood in the middle or "dump" them down![/QUOTE]

I'd agree that you shouldn't dump them down but all the slat manufacturers over here lift them on pallet toes and normally sling a fork lift into a new tank to set slats in place with. Usually lorry will hiab them to one point and forklift runs up and down tank.
    If slats can't stand being lifted by 2 pallet toes they're not too well made!!